• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

We are hearing more and more about sexual assault/harassment allegations being made against prominent men. Some of these allegations are of acts that happened a number of years ago. Some are just allegations, not yet proven, yet the men are being treated as guilty from the start. Is there or should there be some sort of statute of limitations on the reporting of these alleged acts? Should the men be treated as innocent until proven guilty?

My mind isn't quite made up on this issue. I certainly wouldn't want to see any woman sexually assaulted, but I can't quite wrap my head around what would constitute harassment. Yes, I am a woman but I do think there are women would be capable of lying to either cause trouble for a particular man or to try to get some easy money.

On the other hand, I know there are dirty old men (and young perverts) who would grab or proposition any woman they come into contact with.

:question:

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

They should be treated innocent until proved guilty by the criminal justice system if accused of an actual crime.

If accusations are credible, there is no reason anyone outside a jury should have to withhold judgment.

Unsure on the statute of limitation piece. The nature of the acts and the related intimidation and shaming are such that they often aren't reported immediately.

Edited by kelley, 04 December 2017 - 10:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users