9 replies to this topic

#1 Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

Maybe I'll see if one of youins' knows about this. . .does anyone know who at the Health Department one needs to talk to about selling stuff at a farmer's market? Specifically barbecue sauce? I've been over their website, and Purdue Extension's, and can't get a straight answer as to whether you can or not. I'm told I make a decent sauce and I'm fixing to have a lot of free time thanks to neck surgery, so I figure I can tweak my recipe and maybe whip some up to peddle at the farmer's markets. 

#2 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Here is a link to a summary and the text of the relevant Indiana law: https://www.in.gov/i...nal_6_11_09.pdf

This amends and revises several sections of the Indiana code so it may be worthwhile to research what those sections say.

It seems to me (this is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer, etc.) that barbecue sauce is okay to sell at a farmer's market provided it is acidic enough (pH below 4.6) and neither canned nor hermetically sealed. 

#3 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

Most "processed" foods have to be done in a commercial kitchen as far as I know. I would think anyone at the health department could advise.

• kelley likes this

#4 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

Most "processed" foods have to be done in a commercial kitchen as far as I know. I would think anyone at the health department could advise.

State law provides certain exceptions for farmer's markets and roadside stands.

• kelley likes this

#5 Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

I got some of my question answered but I'll definitely need to go hit up the healthies first, just to make sure I'm reading things right and because if something can't be "hermetically sealed" then maybe they can tell me how to "un-hermetically" seal something.  

I'd LOVE to get to the point where I could afford a commercial kitchen to make it and sell it myself, but you know what they say, money doesn't grow on trees!

• Bigfoot likes this

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

When you get up and going, I know a spot you can set up for free.

#7 Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hmm. . .intriguing. . .

#8 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

Is your sauce hot and spicy?  I like a little heat in my sauce.

#9 Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

Is your sauce hot and spicy?  I like a little heat in my sauce.

I've done spicy before! Don't know how hot it was, necessarily, but it definitely had a kick to it

#10 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:36 AM

Call the Clark County Health Dept., 812-282-7521.  I love the Farmer's Market and trying out the various wares offered!  Especially the eggs and honey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users