7 replies to this topic

#1 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Around Indiana, the need to enclose "open concept" areas to improve student safety has been cited as the justification for school remodeling efforts.

Are open concept schools actually less safe? Is there a study?  Is there a specific incident where an open concept design caused an increase in casualties?

The IDOE has a Department of School Building Physical Security and Safety.  They don't make any recommendation regarding "open concept".

• GrumpyGranny and apirateatheart like this

#2 smellslike

smellslike

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Are cars without airbags unsafe? Is skydiving unsafe? I don't think any of the school shootings happened at open-concept buildings. So... peddling scare tactics seem pretty convenient when you want money.
  • Donna likes this

#3 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

Security starts at the front door, once an intruder is in, the floor plan has little to do with security.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and apirateatheart like this

#4 CE Martin II

CE Martin II

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

Security starts at the front door, once an intruder is in, the floor plan has little to do with security.

That is totally, and completely wrong. Floorplans do indeed affect security.

Imagine a fire spreading in an open warehouse versus an apartment building.

Yes, a subdivided building with locked doors would slow a shooter significantly.

#5 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

I understand the argument that locked classrooms seem more secure than open areas.  I am interested in facts, not opinions.

Is there a study?  Has there been an incident?  Why doesn't the IDOE's Department of School Building Physical Security and Safety say that?

In fact, the IDOE does recommend maximizing "Natural Surveillance" by which they mean making it difficult for someone to be in a place where they can expect not to be seen. Don't open concept designs promote Natural Surveillance?

I don't care either way.  Just looking for a good reason to spend millions.

#6 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

In the past I was told that some school board members got contributions from construction unions.   Could that be an inducement to spend millions?

#7 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

In the past I was told that some school board members got contributions from construction unions.   Could that be an inducement to spend millions?

Which members?

#8 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

This was years ago and I don't honestly remember.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users