8 replies to this topic

#1 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:30 AM

On the Greater Clark website, people were given a mechanism to oppose Trumps budget, specifically a 9 billion cut to the department of education.  The specific reason was that funding for the Javit's program for high ability students would be reduced.

First, the total national funding for the Javit's  program is 12 million, about half of what GCCS is spending to reconfigure classrooms at 3 schools. It is a tiny portion of the 9 billion, but the website did not tell folks that.

Second, should public resources be spent lobbying for political causes, no matter what the cause.  

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

On the Greater Clark website, people were given a mechanism to oppose Trumps budget, specifically a 9 billion cut to the department of education. The specific reason was that funding for the Javit's program for high ability students would be reduced.

First, the total national funding for the Javit's program is 12 million, about half of what GCCS is spending to reconfigure classrooms at 3 schools. It is a tiny portion of the 9 billion, but the website did not tell folks that.

Second, should public resources be spent lobbying for political causes, no matter what the cause.

They shouldn't be. There's something sick about using taxpayers' money to - invariably - advocate for getting more - or at least not giving up any - of the taxpayers' money. Yet it happens all the time.

I can remember receiving flyers that were sent home from my children's elementary school encouraging me to call a rep. about a funding bill.

#3 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

Talk about sick, GCCS has allowed Bob Hall free rein to use Charlestown High School as a political arm.  He has a paid city employee, "School Liaison" Kerry Vaughn, working there. She is the wife of City Council president Eric Vaughn.  Every campaign, Hall's literature is plastered with stats about high school graduation rates, college-attendance rates, etc., creating the impression that he is responsible.  He was pictured with Dr. Melin at the high school last fall welcoming incoming students to CHS.  What the hell?  He was pictured with the Teachers of the Year.  The list goes on.  

Hall recently tried to scuttle the decision made by GCCS to hire a new assistant principal at CHS, because Hall didn't approve of the selection committee's choice.  He obviously thought he had veto power over new hires there.  Ms. Vaughn also got in the act, and told the principal she couldn't work with the new assistant principal.  Sick, sick, sick. I wish Dr. Melin would put his foot down, and instruct all the Charlestown school principals to keep politics out of their schools, and keep Bob Hall at arms length.  This is especially needed at the high school.

Edited by CityBoy, 21 May 2017 - 09:15 PM.

• auctioneer1 likes this

#4 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

I am a bit unclear....was he successful in his attempt to scuttle the donkey't Principal decision?    Who is the new hire?

#5 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

I heard the new hire is Pam Hall, wife of Tony Hall and sister-in-law of Mike Hall and Ruth Ann Rawlings. The hire stuck, in spite of Mayor Bob's vehement opposition. Good for you on this decision, Dr. Melin. Just think about it for a minute. Bob Hall had gained such a foothold at the high school that he had every reason to think he was entitled to veto power on administrative decisions.

Edited by CityBoy, 22 May 2017 - 09:06 PM.

#6 apirateatheart

apirateatheart

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

thank you for clearing that up.   the mayor needs to stay out of school district business.

#7 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

thank you for clearing that up.   the mayor needs to stay out of school district business.

It's up to Dr. Melin and the principals to keep him out, but they seem to think he's entitled to use our schools for his political gain.

#8 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

Every time I read a thread like this I'm sooo glad I don't live in this district anymore.

#9 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

I heard the new hire is Pam Hall [snip]

The new rumor is that she is going to JHS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users