4 replies to this topic

#1 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:22 AM

A young lady (18) in Gary Indiana made national news when she graduated with a bachelors degree in sociology from Purdue University Northwest in the same month as she got her high school diploma from 21st Century Charter High School.  She is not a superstar academic.  She is a very diligent and hard working student.  She accomplished what she did because her high school has a very strong duel credit program with the Purdue campus.

If this young lady had attended one of our local high schools, what would she have been able to accomplish?

#2 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

I was involved in the first implementation of AP classes at Jeff.  The program was designed so that a student could take 1 AP as a sophomore, 2 as a junior, and 2-3 as a senior.  That would let them skip their freshman year of college.  We expected 2-3 students a year to skip their freshman years.  (If I recall correctly, the first AP was offered for the 2000-2001 school year. Dave Pulliam was superintendent.)

I don't believe we have ever had a student actually do that.

For comparison, my daughter went to a private school and graduated with 42 hours of college credit.  She graduated at 17 and completed her first semester of college before her birthday.  She was a college junior on her 18th birthday.  

#3 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

I attended Charlestown High School graduation last Saturday.  According to the program, 13 graduates have already received an Associate Degree from IVY Tech.  Pretty impressive!

#4 auctioneer1

auctioneer1

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Ruth, Charlestown High is doing a fine job with AP. My daughter who last year was the Salutatorian left with 67 Credits, an Associates from Ivy Tech and some Indiana University credits.  She is in the Honors college at WKU and after her first year she is junior status and is studying abroad in Europe at this moment.  And BEST of all is saving a boat load on college cost. The opportunity is there if the students take advantage of it.  Dan Harvey

• GrumpyGranny and Ruth Ann Rawlings like this

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:27 AM

This is great news!  I love it when our kids are well-served by their school. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users