• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

So, we have watched them a lot...the Property Brothers and Love IT or List It are my personal favorites. We sit here and laugh as walls are removed and problems are uncovered. Jonothan or Hillary are explaining to the homeowner why these problems have to be fixed even though the repairs eat into the reno budget. The homeowners are saying NO!!! It's almost like the look of the house is more important than the safety. Yesterday one woman admitted she didn't want the money to go inside the walls, she wanted it to go into the design.

So, we're still laughing even though we are experiencing the same problems popping up as the walls go down. What started out as a simple kitchen faucet replacement has mushroomed into a complete kitchen reno...for safety not for design. While putting on new faucet a leak in a water line was found...wall torn out to find leaking pipe...mold found. Sink base removed, more mold. Electric junction box found attached to the back of another cabinet removed instead of to wall. Another electric junction found, not in box and the drywall and insulation around it was scorched. More wall torn out, insulation put in wrong in outside wall. More drywall removed, found an ant colony behind insulation. Sigh...

More cabinets removed. Found an outlet covered up by a cabinet, near the floor and live. Found holes in the ceiling hidden by upper cabinets. Found out there are three, yes three, layers of drywall to tear out.

We rented a dumpster the day before CE Martin II found a dumpster in his driveway. We should have waited another day, we could have "borrowed" the one he didn't order or want, lol.

We still have a couple of walls to tear out, and are patiently waiting for our next surprise. Whatever it is I hope we can keep laughing and keep going. We've gotten rid of the ants and the mold so far.  I'll get new cabinets, countertops, flooring and lighting. No, not "high end" by any means, but new. The fridge will be moved, so I will gain three feet of counter space. In my tiny kitchen a three foot gain is impressive!

Our reno crew consists of my husband, my son, my grandson and two granddaughters. Oh, and I am the construction manager, of course. When it is all over (maybe three months from now, lol) they will have the satisfaction of knowing they have made our kitchen much safer...no more mold, no more ants, no more unsafe wiring.

• kelley likes this

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Given what was there...wow.

Did you have a home inspection before you bought it?
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#3 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

Given what was there...wow.

Did you have a home inspection before you bought it?

Yeah, Kelley, we did have a home inspection, but all the issues we've uncovered were covered up by cabinets and/or drywall so were not found by a home inspection. I walked the house with the dude that did the inspection and he did what I thought was a thorough inspection, basement to attic. Of course, I could be wrong, lol.

• kelley likes this

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

So, the demolition is done. Time to start putting the kitchen back together again. Should be fun...

#5 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

It's taken a while, but the kitchen is back together; new walls, ceiling, flooring, lighting, cabinets. All new, all done on a budget, all done by hubby, kid and grandkids. IMO they did a fantastic job. They may be a little slower than Jonathan of the Property Brothers, but that's fine, too! Thank you, family, for the great job you all did!

• kelley and Bigfoot like this

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

Got any before and after drama shots?

#7 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Got any before and after drama shots?

No, darn it! We didn't think of taking any before pics but wish we had. I will get the kid to take some after shots but he will probably post them on FB.

• kelley likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users