9 replies to this topic

#1 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

What we used to called Gifted/Talented (g/t) we now call High Ability (HA).

A HA cluster is, by definition, a group of 4 to 10 identified HA students in an otherwise mixed ability class lead by a teacher trained in providing differentiated instruction for HA students.  In these clusters HA students stimulate and compete with each other.  Because the cluster is a significant part of the class, the teachers tend to be diligent in providing differentiated instruction.

Greater Clark claims to use clusters and actually has more than 50 designated "cluster classrooms".  However, none has 4 students so none has a cluster.  Generally a "cluster classroom" has a cluster size of 1 or 2.  This is not enough to provide any cluster benefits.

The reason that the clusters are so small is that they are all limited to the HA population in a single grade at a single school.

Imagine that we had a school with 100 kids in a grade (larger than any GCCS elementary school).  There would be a 1 in 6 chance that there would be 4 HA kids to create a cluster for that grade.

If we don't have any clusters, is it OK for GCCS to tell the public (and the IDOE in the HA grant application) that a cluster strategy is used? Can you have cluster classroom if you don't have clusters?

Edited by TimZ, 08 February 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

What a cluster...

#3 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

I did the math.  In order to have a 50/50 chance of having 4 or more HA kids, you need 175 kids in that grade.

• kelley likes this

#4 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

I did the math.  In order to have a 50/50 chance of having 4 or more HA kids, you need 175 kids in that grade.

What % of kids are considered HA?

#5 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:14 AM

GCCS has an official standard of IQ130 which is 2.1% of the population.  The state of Indiana recommends 4% of the school population.  I prefer the GCCS rule, but could live with either.

By the IDOE standard, 92 students per grade would give a 50/50 chance of having 4+ HA students.

#6 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

They actually administer IQ tests? I thought IQ went out the window a long time ago as a meaningful measure of innate ability.

#7 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

Greater Clark claims to use clusters and actually has more than 50 designated "cluster classrooms".  However, none has 4 students so none has a cluster.  Generally a "cluster classroom" has a cluster size of 1 or 2.  This is not enough to provide any cluster benefits.

Do you know which schools have "cluster classrooms"?

#8 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

Yes they administer tests to determine IQ.  Most are given to specific children, but one is given to every kindergarten student.

All elementary schools have cluster classrooms.  They have one for every grade (with the exception that there may be no HA students in a particular grade at a particular school).

#9 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

GCCS has an official standard of IQ130 which is 2.1% of the population.  The state of Indiana recommends 4% of the school population.  I prefer the GCCS rule, but could live with either.

By the IDOE standard, 92 students per grade would give a 50/50 chance of having 4+ HA students.

My son was tested in Kindergarten.  He just missed it by their 2.1% rule but would have easily made it under the 4% rule.  He was tested again last year in 2nd grade and again just missed the 2.1% cutoff.  He's now in NAFC schools and will be tested again this year.  I guess I should look up what their cutoff is.

#10 TimZ

TimZ

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

According to 511 IAC 6-9.1-2c (A Indiana Board of Education Rule), schools must have the following plans

• Performance Based Assessment
  • Potential Based Assessment
  • Alternative Assessment

These plans must be available for public review.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: High Ability, G/T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users