5 replies to this topic

#1 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

Let's see a show of hands from the local republicans who are proud to see that two of the very first republican proposals are raising taxes and giving elected officials a raise.  From the party of smaller government and lower taxes... good job boys, good job!

• kelley, Debbie, javajoe and 1 other like this

#2 DBamforth

DBamforth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

I'm a republican and I'm all for it! For the tax raises, if your talking about the gas/cigarette tax increase I think its a good idea. I'm not a smoker so I can't say that tax increase would impact me but I am a driver and I am all in favor of having my tax dollars fund road revitalization. As for the elected official raises, see the link below. That article articulates better than I could about why those raises are essential, especially since there hasn't been a raise for those officials since 2008. I am almost certain the cost of living has gone up since then.

http://www.journalga...icials-17436499

http://www.indystar....s-tax/96126250/

#3 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

Would you not prefer they just use all the money they now collect for roads on the roads and see how that goes before they ask for more money?

They need raises to attract more quality candidates. The last batch of successful candidates thought it would be a good idea to increase taxes and hand out raises for elected officials.

Edited by kelley, 25 January 2017 - 11:01 AM.

• Quasar likes this

#4 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

As a republican would you also prefer that your candidates be honest in campaigning and say they wanted to raise these taxes BEFORE they get elected?  I just find it hypocritical that when republicans want to raise taxes, they find valid reasons for it but, when democrats raise taxes, it's "tax and spend".  Isn't it the same thing?

• Quasar likes this

#5 DBamforth

DBamforth

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

I think Gov. Holcomb was pretty clear when he was asked about the potential tax increases back in September* when he stated he "would keep anything on the table" to pay for the infrastructure without paying for them with bonds/loans.

I think that is just the preconceived notion that all Democrats want to take our money and give it away and all Republicans want to cut our taxes and give big breaks to the rich. Sure that has happened and it will probably continue to happen but I think what we are seeing here with this issue is that there is a need and we have a Governor and Majority that don't want to borrow our future when we can have it paid today.

http://indianapublic...-issues-105854/

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

I understand an impulse to point out when a stereotype doesn't hold up to scrutiny. However, it's not raising Republican stock when the stereotype they don't raise our taxes is shown to be bogus.
  • Quasar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users