10 replies to this topic

#1 keekee1960

keekee1960

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

Hey guys! It's Paula from Charlestown now living in Nashville. Not sure y'all remember me. Not sure this is the right place to ask, but I don't know of another place to ask. Anyway, I need some help with my daughters older German Shepard, Katie. Apparently she sat on broken glass several weeks ago and was cut in her female area. Well they can't really afford vet care and last one she called wanted several hundred dollars to look at her. They've been trying to keep it clean and using antibacterial ointment, but she won't stop licking it. She tore up the e collar as well. She can't walk good at all with pain and drainage. One friend who works at Eastside said if she gets too bad off to give her10 benadryl to put her down. That sounds a little crazy. My question is do you know of a vet that would help with low fees and payments? Thanks in advance.

#2 keekee1960

keekee1960

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

Forgot to mention that she's in Charlestown.

#3 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

:logik: .......

Should'a been taken care of WEEKs ago........they a responsibility, no diff'rnt than a sick child

with'at said......ain't my usual vet, but have been'ere thru a member on'is board, an' other'n MY vet(if not available) this's the best in the area, an'....reasonable ta boot........

http://shivelyanimal...om/home/3343266

I usually don' try'n tell people they bizz.....but if ya got kids.....pets, etc......they AIN' no  "I cain't afford"..... :logik:

MINE......come a'fore ANYTHING........anything........

even me..........

git'is dog some help......

could'n tell ya on 'payments' ......if like mine, if yer a establish'd customer, MAY let'cha pay a partial, an' have a bal....mine does, but she been my vet fer better'n  18 yrs, so.....

Edited by Bikerdude, 26 December 2016 - 09:54 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and jiyabird like this

#4 keekee1960

keekee1960

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

Oh believe me, I've lectured over and over again. They have no business having pets. I know about Shively and I'll tell her again. Right now I'm so pissed off with them right now! 😬
  • GrumpyGranny and Bikerdude like this

#5 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:05 PM

DO NOT GO TO EASTSIDE!!!! They will run up hundreds of dollars on a bill and not tell you until you walk in to get your critter.
They do unnecessary tests and procedures.
They are not available 24/7.
They are ridiculously expensive.
They are NOT knowledgeable on all types of treatments necessary for animals.
DO NOT GO TO EASTSIDE.
Shively Animal Clinic on Dixie is the most reasonable. You can make payment arrangements...no charge cards.
Once you become a client you have 24/7 access to vet care.
There is no emergency, procedure or illiness they cannot handle.
They will tell you what needs to be done, what it will cost and discuss everything with you every step of the way and give you options.
It may already be too late.
Infection may have started to destroy the poor baby as it is or weakened it to the point it might not recover.
It is incomprehensible to animal lovers when pet owners allow animals to suffer needlessly.
Any vet would have looked at the dog for around $20 and then given an estimate of treatment charges.
I am sorry but I have NEVER heard of any vet charging several hundred dollars just to LOOK at an animal. That does not even make sense nor would it be ethical.
I am sorry for your frustration. It is difficult to shake sense into people's heads alot of times.
Sounds as if it might be a good idea to see if they will give the dog up and then try and find a better home for it with someone who will take better care of it.
I have been going to Shivley with my dogs, cats, potbellied pigs, exotic parrots as well as various wildlife rescues for nearly 40 years. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Mary Jane Fuchs, her sister, two brothers, father and staff.
She has saved several of my beloved pet's lives and extended many others. She is gentle and compassionate when it has come time to euthanize any of them.
The wait is long but more than worth it if you love your pet and want the best care for it.

Eastside saying to overdose a dog on Benedril to euthanize it? They should be reported to the licensing agency that regulates vets. That is barbaric!

Good luck. I hope the dog's suffering does not continue much longer.

Edited by jiyabird, 30 December 2016 - 11:25 PM.

• Bikerdude likes this

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

DO NOT GO TO EASTSIDE!!!! They will run up hundreds of dollars on a bill and not tell you until you walk in to get your critter.
They do unnecessary tests and procedures.
They are not available 24/7.
They are ridiculously expensive.
They are NOT knowledgeable on all types of treatments necessary for animals.
DO NOT GO TO EASTSIDE.
Shively Animal Clinic on Dixie is the most reasonable. You can make payment arrangements...no charge cards.
Once you become a client you have 24/7 access to vet care.
There is no emergency, procedure or illiness they cannot handle.
They will tell you what needs to be done, what it will cost and discuss everything with you every step of the way and give you options.
It may already be too late.
Infection may have started to destroy the poor baby as it is or weakened it to the point it might not recover.
It is incomprehensible to animal lovers when pet owners allow animals to suffer needlessly.
Any vet would have looked at the dog for around $20 and then given an estimate of treatment charges.
I am sorry but I have NEVER heard of any vet charging several hundred dollars just to LOOK at an animal. That does not even make sense nor would it be ethical.
I am sorry for your frustration. It is difficult to shake sense into people's heads alot of times.
Sounds as if it might be a good idea to see if they will give the dog up and then try and find a better home for it with someone who will take better care of it.
I have been going to Shivley with my dogs, cats, potbellied pigs, exotic parrots as well as various wildlife rescues for nearly 40 years. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Mary Jane Fuchs, her sister, two brothers, father and staff.
She has saved several of my beloved pet's lives and extended many others. She is gentle and compassionate when it has come time to euthanize any of them.
The wait is long but more than worth it if you love your pet and want the best care for it.

Eastside saying to overdose a dog on Benedril to euthanize it? They should be reported to the licensing agency that regulates vets. That is barbaric!

Good luck. I hope the dog's suffering does not continue much longer.

Yeah, that........x a million.......  

Edited by Bikerdude, 31 December 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:36 AM

Oh believe me, I've lectured over and over again. They have no business having pets. I know about Shively and I'll tell her again. Right now I'm so pissed off with them right now!

Any more scoop/info on'a dog ?    :shrug:

#8 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

I just have to say we have taken our pets to Eastside for years, and have no complaints about treatment, costs, etc. As a matter of fact, we had one of our dogs and one kitten there just yesterday, and will be taking another kitten to them Wednesday. Our bill yesterday for the two pets was $235. I don't consider that too expensive for two pets. Eastside's location is convenient for us and we have never met a staff member we didn't like. Eastside has taken great care of our furry kids and grandkids. 

• MoeMomma likes this

#9 MoeMomma

MoeMomma

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I just have to say we have taken our pets to Eastside for years, and have no complaints about treatment, costs, etc. As a matter of fact, we had one of our dogs and one kitten there just yesterday, and will be taking another kitten to them Wednesday. Our bill yesterday for the two pets was $235. I don't consider that too expensive for two pets. Eastside's location is convenient for us and we have never met a staff member we didn't like. Eastside has taken great care of our furry kids and grandkids. 

I have to agree with Granny about Eastside.   I've only had good experiences there with the staff.   We didn't have a local vet while we were transitioning here from Ohio.   Our first experience was when our very old dog went down hill very fast.   Called Allison Lane, because it was closer and they wouldn't see her same day, because we weren't a customer.   They wanted us to wait a couple days for an appointment, but we knew the end was near.   Called Eastside and we were in the office in 1 hour.   The compassion and kindness the staff showed us, will stick with me forever.   Thankful to have had them at such a difficult time.

Last October, my cat started having severe anxiety due to the back and forth nature of her "parents" and then the move to a new home.   She started licking her fur and scratching horribly.  She had a couple of pretty nasty spots.   Called Eastside, was offered a same day visit and they couldn't have been more professional.  The vet took the time to get the history of the cat, ran some tests and kept me updated on the costs that were occurring.   She needed antibiotics and I was given three choices, with the cost of each.    I really was amazed that the vet took so much time talking with me about our cat and discussing what she thought it may be and explaining every thing she was going to do.

I will be returning to Eastside for the care of our dog and other cat.   Their costs seem to be in line with our Ohio vet and the care was excellent.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#10 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

What happens if it is the middle of the night and you have an injured pet, or on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday? Can you get it to Eastside...NO! You can at Shivley.
Eastside tells you to go to Jefferson Animal Hospital...nice.
I do not understand how a vet who professes to love animals can shut off that love when they walk out the door during regular business hours and not give a dam about their patients until it is time to come to work the next day.Seems phoney to me.
Anyone advised to go to Jefferson Animal Hospital should run the other way. I would not take an ant there.
I have heard horror story after horror story of that place of misdiagnosis or improper treatment resulting in the deaths of animals and the cause of many heartbreaks.
I made the mistake of taking one of dogs to Eastside years ago for a minor matter.
I went to pick him up and they hit me with a $350 bill.
They had taken it upon themselves to give him every shot in the book as well as tests I never ok'd without calling me. He already was up on shots!They never called for my permission.
I never went back. A neighbor had the same nightmare experience.
I had previously taken a Quaker Parrot in to have it's wings clipped for a new owner. NO ONE in the place knew how to clip a bird's wings and were terrified of getting bit when they did. This bird is a little larger than a Cockatiel!
As I advised before, stay away from Eastside.
I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and more on vets over my lifetime since animals ARE my life. That is not an exaggeration I have dealt with alot of veterinarians and vet clinics. My file at Shively is literally over a foot thick.
At one time my husband and I had over 25 PETS(dogs, cats and potbellied pigs)and were rescuing stray cats and having Shivley spay, neuter and find homes for them...(35 at one count).
I now have birds cats and dogs...I rescue....always have.
A person with one or two pets here and there over the years may not have a problem with Eastside...I do...and I have sent them a letter in great detail expressing my concerns.

Edited by jiyabird, 31 December 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#11 MoeMomma

MoeMomma

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

I really wasn't saying anything against Shively, I've never been there.  I was just stating my experience with Eastside.    Our vet in Ohio was not open 24/7 and the time that I had an emergency with a cat, I took him to a 24/7 animal hospital.   I didn't even think to call the vet, because it's a vet office.   Not a hospital.

Thanks for all you do for animals.   I have saved my share of stray animals over the years, but obviously I can't even come close to your accomplishments.

Happy New Year!

• GrumpyGranny likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users