63 replies to this topic

#41 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

The country and the state are two different things. The current anthem is about the state, and, as snowman alluded to, it's a pro-slavery tune.

If you need to dig down to the third verse of the Star Spangled Banner, find two words offensive and use that to support a 2nd rate, under-educated, millionaire athlete in his ill-conceived protest, feel free.

The verse was written in 1814 and has been out of use for over a century, by the way.

Just because the words "slave" and "hireling" seem  to be offensive, it is unlikely F. S. Key's intent was to support slavery.

While most will just say TL;DR, those who care will find this:

"The Star Spangled Banner lyrics "the hireling " refers to the British use of Mercenaries (German Hessians) in the American War of Independence

The Star Spangled Banner lyrics "...and slave" is a direct reference to the British practice of Impressment (kidnapping American seamen and forcing them into service on British man-of war ships). This was a Important cause of the War of 1812

Francis Scott Key then describes the Star Spangled Banner as a symbol of triumph over all adversity"

• CityBoy and jiyabird like this

#42 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

Simple. If you don't think Americas great LEAVE!! Lol . Now where do we all go?
  • kelley likes this

#43 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

OMG..is this STILL NOT AMERICA? "WHY PLAY NATION-STATE-WORSHIPING SONGS"? If they don't like this NATION then they can get the HELL OUT!
'FEELINGS HURT'? What about my feelings that they are disrespecting my flag, my home, my country, my soldiers who died for the right for this song to be played, this flag to be flown?
I refuse to respect a trouble making, second string no-body who is only doing this for his 15 minutes because they were getting ready to sack him.
Actions like what this imbicile is getting away with only continue to divide our country!

Perhaps you didn't understand my post. As far as feelings being hurt, I was talking about people just like you, who get offended at these types of actions. If the song isn't sung at silly sporting events, then there is no opportunity for anyone to use it to protest.

You say the soldiers "died for the right for this song to be played, flag to be flown." Ok. Didn't they also die so that people could  be free to not stand when the song is played?

You say you "refuse to respect" him. Did he ask you to respect him?

He simply used this as a way to try to get attention for a cause he supports. Whether or not this is a successful method of getting people who were not listening to now start listening is debatable, but in the end, he merely exercised his freedom to decide for himself how to react when the song came on. Do you want to deny him this freedom? If so, maybe you should just leave this country! ;)

• kelley and Donna like this

#44 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

Simple. If you don't think Americas great LEAVE!! Lol . Now where do we all go?

I hear Belize has some sweet hookups for retirees.

#45 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

Perhaps you didn't understand my post. As far as feelings being hurt, I was talking about people just like you, who get offended at these types of actions. If the song isn't sung at silly sporting events, then there is no opportunity for anyone to use it to protest.
You say the soldiers "died for the right for this song to be played, flag to be flown." Ok. Didn't they also die so that people could be free to not stand when the song is played?

You say you "refuse to respect" him. Did he ask you to respect him?

He simply used this as a way to try to get attention for a cause he supports. Whether or not this is a successful method of getting people who were not listening to now start listening is debatable, but in the end, he merely exercised his freedom to decide for himself how to react when the song came on. Do you want to deny him this freedom? If so, maybe you should just leave this country! ;)

Gee thanks for suggesting I leave the country just because some spoiled, over- paid jerk wants to be a smartass but I think I will stay and continue to stand up for my flag, my country.
It is one thing to 'excercise his freedom' but he should respect our country and it's symbols. If it were not for what that song and flag mean he would not be filling his 'free' pockets with overpaid $$$.
Let him show the same disrepect in another country over their national symbols and bet you anything his frigging butt would be in jail.
FYI...apparently you are not keeping up with current events...Liberals are demanding these very same symbols of our country be banned from schools and other gatherings...ludicrous!
If he is so unhappy and feels put upon perhaps HE should leave the USA and pedal his 'second string talent' in another country. Bet they wouldn't put up with his temper tantrums.

Edited by jiyabird, 21 September 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#46 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

If the song isn't sung at silly sporting events, then there is no opportunity for anyone to use it to protest.

He could also stay in the locker room till the pregame activities are over.

At least that way, he would look like less of an idiot.

• CityBoy and jiyabird like this

#47 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:59 PM

I hear Belize has some sweet hookups for retirees.

Kelley, just curious, how do you deal with your relatives who's views differ from yours?
Do you suggest they leave the country?

#48 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

Kelley, just curious, how do you deal with your relatives who's views differ from yours?

Lol. Your "side" started the leave the country stuff because you disagree with this player. I'm just having fun with it in this particular context.

Much of my family assumes I'm paying the closest attention to stuff and am the most educated about politics and follows my lead. If we do disagree on an issue or candidate, we discuss and laugh a lot.
  • Debbie likes this

#49 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

porkypine is the one who brought up leaving the country way back on page 1...

WHY PLAY NATION-STATE-WORSHIPPING SONGS..............  Sounds like you don't like the Anthem of the United States of America.   Can you provide me with a REAL REASON to NOT play our National Anthem?  If you don't like the Anthem---LEAVE! 

The best DA%# Country on the planet.  If you don't like it LEAVE, the door is right over there, DON'T LET IT HIT YOU IN THE A$$ ON THE WAY OUT.

...and you liked it.

• kelley and jiyabird like this

#50 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

Seems that some fans are making smart choices.

http://detroit.cbslo...SFNk-M.facebook

“Sports used to not be a stage for this, and now it is, so I’m turning it off,” he said. “I refused to watch the Chicago-Philadelphia game because they were going to protest …You start to figure out you can get along without football, there are other things out there I can do.”

#51 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

Much of my family assumes I'm paying the closest attention to stuff and am the most educated about politics and follows my lead.

( Points and laughs...)

#52 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

( Points and laughs...)

Ok, formally educated? IU says so...

#53 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

porkypine is the one who brought up leaving the country way back on page 1...

...and you liked it.

Not sure why I hit like, maybe I assumed it was a joke at the time, but, assuming they were being serious and jiya is also on the pro-anthem, anti-NFL dude side, wasn't I right?

In other words, what is your point?

#54 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

Not sure why I hit like, maybe I assumed it was a joke at the time, but, assuming they were being serious and jiya is also on the pro-anthem, anti-NFL dude side, wasn't I right?

In other words, what is your point?

Not you. I was talking to the person who was trying to call you out for something you didn't even bring up. They did the same thing to me a couple of days ago.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 21 September 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#55 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

Not you. I was talking to the person who was trying to call you out for something you didn't even bring up. They did the same thing to me a couple of days ago.

Lol. And I thought I was responding to woo, that he had posted that. Scrolled too fast.

All makes sense now.

Edited by kelley, 21 September 2016 - 02:42 PM.

• Persona Non Grata likes this

#56 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

From Facebook: If this jerk, or any other person who wants to disrespect our flag and country thinks it is ok then let them go to an International airport and wait for a plane full of Marines returning from duty...guys who have fought, been shot, seen their buddies blown skyhigh and killed... and walk up and pull the 'Offensive' flag off their sleeve.
Want to take one guess as to whom will be shown disrespect?
They are too chicken**** to do so...only want to run their mouths or get their 15 minutes.
  • Col-Arthur likes this

#57 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

From Facebook: If this jerk, or any other person who wants to disrespect our flag and country thinks it is ok then let them go to an International airport and wait for a plane full of Marines returning from duty...guys who have fought, been shot, seen their buddies blown skyhigh and killed... and walk up and pull the 'Offensive' flag off their sleeve.
They are too chicken**** to do so...only want to run their mouths or get their 15 minutes.

Pull the flag off their sleeve??? I've never heard him talk about taking any flags down. He's just not participating in the ritual that surrounds them.
  • kelley, Debbie and Donna like this

#58 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

Why would he want to assault another person and tear at his clothes (although tearing off clothes seems to be what certain state police do to certain political candidates.)

But seriously, that sort of outlandish over-aggressive behavior is partly what he's trying to call attention to.
  • kelley, Donna and Persona Non Grata like this

#59 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

Why would he want to assault another person and tear at his clothes (although tearing off clothes seems to be what certain state police do to certain political candidates.)
But seriously, that sort of outlandish over-aggressive behavior is partly what he's trying to call attention to.

Key words "any other person"
The flags are in place with velcro to allow easy removal if battle circumstances warrant.

Edited by jiyabird, 21 September 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#60 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

I'll admit I've not read every post of this thread... because... I just really didn't want to. So I apologize if someone has already stressed this point.

I see this as a property owner issue... if I own a NFL team, I will make the decision of how all of my employees conduct themselves. Anyone that does not follow my instructions, will be made available to the competition. Pretty easy stuff... Freedom of speech does not apply here...
  • jiyabird and Col-Arthur like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users