126 replies to this topic

#41 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

Maybe they are smoking his product,   :phone:  :rofl:  :logik:  :shifty: 

Poke fun if you wish... however Johnson is by far the most qualified applicant running for the office of POTUS in this election... 

• kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#42 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:25 PM

Maybe we would finally have his product legalized. 🙄🙄🙄
  • kelley likes this

#43 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

Poke fun if you wish... however Johnson is by far the most qualified applicant running for the office of POTUS in this election... 

I must respectfully disagree.

• IntegrityMatters and Col-Arthur like this

#44 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

I must respectfully disagree.

The job is as top executive of the country. They're both two-term top executives of states.

Gary has been a CEO, Bill a US attorney.

As far as representation, these are Libertarians who governed as Republicans in Democrat states yet were elected and reelected. That doesn't happen if someone is an extremist, ideologue or simply narrow-minded. Their actual positions - which are fiscally responsible and socially tolerant - are broadly supported.

If unqualified, given they've served so much time in public office and have so much work on the public record, what are the official acts they've taken which show their lack of qualification?
  • Quasar and Russell Brooksbank like this

#45 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

Johnson as POTUS addresses every concern I have with Trump and Clinton... he's clearly the best choice by a wide margin...
  • kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#46 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

I have two problems with Gary Johnson. 

#1. His tax reform plan. It seems to be a huge gift to the wealthy (people with incomes of $250,000 and up) and it seems to place an undue burden on the middle class and the working poor. If someone cares to explain where I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it.

#B. He said in an interview that he would sign the TPP trade agreement.

• IntegrityMatters and Big Bopper like this

#47 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

I have two problems with Gary Johnson.
#1. His tax reform plan. It seems to be a huge gift to the wealthy (people with incomes of $250,000 and up) and it seems to place an undue burden on the middle class and the working poor. If someone cares to explain where I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it.
#B. He said in an interview that he would sign the TPP trade agreement.

He said he would sign it if it really represents free trade rather than crony capitalism and that he'd have to actually read it to know.

I haven't looked at his tax plan closely, but he's said he'd basically be for anything that reduces taxes and/or simplifies the tax code. I believe he supports something like the FairTax which protects the poor with a prebate.

His responses to questions often don't fit into the the way issues are generally framed. He's a thoughtful guy and often discusses various sides of something freely or thinks through things during interviews. It's engaging, charming and reassuring when watching a full interview, but it doesn't always work well for soundbites and pulled quotes.

Edited by kelley, 01 September 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#48 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:11 PM

He said he would sign it if it really represents free trade rather than crony capitalism and that he'd have to actually read it to know.

I haven't looked at his tax plan closely, but he's said he'd basically be for anything that reduces taxes and/or simplifies the tax code. I believe he supports something like the FairTax which protects the poor with a prebate.

His responses to questions often don't fit into the the way issues are generally framed. He's a thoughtful guy and often discusses various sides of something freely or thinks through things during interviews. It's engaging, charming and reassuring when watching a full interview, but it doesn't always work well for soundbites and pulled quotes.

Johnson has called his tax plan a Fair Tax, it is the same plan that Steve Forbes and Grover Norquist have tried to get implemented for years.

I don't want to seem argumentative and I do appreciate your response to my questions, but as I read pros and cons of the Fair Tax I cannot help but think it is only going to give the wealthy the "free ride" they desire.

I think the info at this link does a good job in delineating the Fair Tax and its inherent pitfalls:

http://www.moneycras...ined-pros-cons/

#49 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

Johnson has called his tax plan a Fair Tax, it is the same plan that Steve Forbes and Grover Norquist have tried to get implemented for years.

I don't want to seem argumentative and I do appreciate your response to my questions, but as I read pros and cons of the Fair Tax I cannot help but think it is only going to give the wealthy the "free ride" they desire.

I think the info at this link does a good job in delineating the Fair Tax and its inherent pitfalls:

http://www.moneycras...ined-pros-cons/

It will be very hard to get any reforms accomplished without support from both sides of the isle.

Obama and Clinton have driven a wedge down the middle of our once great nation.

We are more divided than any other time since the Civil War.

We need another Great Communicator.  It is sad that there isn't another Reagan in the field today.

We throw little digs and slurs on this blog but it's a shame our nation has become so divided.

I will give you something to think about that gauges how far we have fallen

20 years or so ago, Gary Hart was in the lead for the Democratic nomination.

Pictures surfaced of a good looking blonde setting on his lap.  He plummeted in the polls and his political career was over.

Now we have a corrupt liar that is responsible for more corruption than can be measured. She is married to a womanizer, liar, and that has the distinction of being publicly humiliated for his actions.  This sorry excuse is leading in the polls.  It used to be that if you had tanked a business and had a divorce you would be disqualified.

Some are following other candidates that aren't much better.

Well I guess that if we can't have a Great Communicator we can settle for a Mid Night Toker, get them high to get along.

Now we wonder why our nation is going to hell in a hand basket.  

Sorry for the rant.

• Col-Arthur likes this

#50 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

OMG!! I am stunned.

#51 HadAboutEnough

HadAboutEnough

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:20 PM

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

#52 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

LOL.

I asked 3 different "stoners" about Aleppo at a lunch venue today and got the same response from each.

#53 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:32 PM

So funny.

It was a 5 am interview, and that question, "What would you do about Aleppo?" was asked with no context or real seque. Johnson said he thought in context that it was an acronym. Most of what is being passed around, of course, cuts off before he went on to answer the question just fine.

Johnson provided an honest and sincere response afterwards and had a great media day otherwise.

Hillary doesn't know "C" means classified, and Trump has issues with the Constitution's non-existent Article XII. This is hardly a legit big deal.

Good news is the greatly increased number of people who now know what Aleppo is and that Gary Johnson exists.

Edited by kelley, 09 September 2016 - 12:32 PM.

• Quasar likes this

#54 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

They tried to color him in the same vein as Sarah Palin... but it's just not the same. He's way smarter than she could ever be, evidenced by how he did answer the question.  The media really hasn't been an honest broker in this election season, seems to me.  Especially toward Hillary, Gary Johnson and Bernie Sanders. 

• kelley likes this

#55 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

Let's coin a new word.

geographicide-the act of shooting oneself in the foot and effectively killing one's chances of being elected to office.

Edited by Col-Arthur, 09 September 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#56 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

So funny.

It was a 5 am interview, and that question, "What would you do about Aleppo?" was asked with no context or real seque. Johnson said he thought in context that it was an acronym. Most of what is being passed around, of course, cuts off before he went on to answer the question just fine.

Johnson provided an honest and sincere response afterwards and had a great media day otherwise.

Hillary doesn't know "C" means classified, and Trump has issues with the Constitution's non-existent Article XII. This is hardly a legit big deal.

Good news is the greatly increased number of people who now know what Aleppo is and that Gary Johnson exists.

Actually, it was a 7:47am ET/4:47am PT interview. At what time of day should we expect Johnson to be able to answer questions about the region?

It was not a "gotcha" question.

I will still encourage every low-information Hillary voter that I meet who expresses disdain about her lack of honesty to vote for either Jill Stein or Gary Johnson.

Edited by Col-Arthur, 09 September 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#57 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

Let's coin a new word.

geographicide-the act of shooting oneself in the foot and effectively killing one's chances of being elected to office.

That is absolutely hilarious in context and even funnier coming from an apparent Trump suppporter.

The interviewer put out a piece defending Johnson. "The gaffe" was even on local news programs. If anything, this makes him more like the other candidates.

The only people I see hooting and hollaring and claiming it has doomed him are those that never would've voted for him anyway.
  • Debbie, Pesty Version 2 and Persona Non Grata like this

#58 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

If Johnson is a Libertarian, how can he:

1. Not support the Non Aggression Principle?

2. Call for a CO2 (carbon tax).

3. Support the Black Lives Matter group.

4. Support the Trans-Pacific Trade agreement (TPP)

5. Support easing restrictions and penalties for those who would/have entered the USA illegally.

His positions on the above issues and others are made clear in the following video:

#59 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

If Johnson is a Libertarian, how can he:

1. Not support the Non Aggression Principle?

2. Call for a CO2 (carbon tax).

3. Support the Black Lives Matter group.

4. Support the Trans-Pacific Trade agreement (TPP)

5. Support easing restrictions and penalties for those who would/have entered the USA illegally.

His positions on the above issues and others are made clear in the following video:

1. There is disagreement about the NAP ong longtime libertarians.

2. He didn't necessarily, but user fees are consistent with some libertarian economic theorists.

3. Easily, lol.

4. He again doesn't necessarily. He has said IF it represents genuine free trade rather than cronyism and that he won't know that unless he reads it, which no one has been allowed to do.

5. Again, easily. Very, very easily on that one. Read a lovely tribute to the illegal immigrant as hero from the leader of the Georgia Libertarians this morning. That's just sort of who we are.

#60 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:08 AM

Johnson is positioned very well except... they won't let him on the debate stage...

#thegameisrigged
  • kelley likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users