37 replies to this topic

#1 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

I live off of High Jackson Road, within the city limits of Charlestown. Sometime Sunday our family dog was killed in our backyard. We are sure a coyote is to blame. We often hear them early in the morning and after dark at night. A couple of weeks ago, my husband saw one at the back of our property. He said it was just trotting along, like it was not nervous at all. What can we do? There are several other dogs and cats on our street, not to mention children! Its getting scary...

#2 OMGIRL

OMGIRL

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

There used to be a exterminator service called Critter Ridders in the area. I'm sure there are others. We used them to trap and relocate beaver and ground hog. I'm not so sure that this would work for coyote as they reside in packs--there may be too many.

Short of shooting them I don't know that there is a solution and I'm sure your concern is because you can't be shooting inside city limits.

Maybe animal control will help with the issue since this could become a health concern.

Good luck. I know it is scary. I encountered one in our yard late one night just watching us while walking the new puppy. I was fearful for her and for myself. S-C-A-R-E-Y!

#3 Colt1911

Colt1911

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

I think your best bet would be to contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources for the Coyote problem you folks are experiencing!

If you are in the city limits you can not discharge a firearm and I am not real sure about this but it used to be against Indiana State Law to kill a Coyote regardless of whether you are in the city limits or in the county !

Cattlemen in Indiana have a terrible time in the Spring when Calves are born and are killed by Coyotes'.

I live in Charlestown on the eastern edge of town, close to the old rock quarry and I have Coyotes, Deer, Raccoons, Wild Turkeys and just about everything that walks, crawls and slithers in Indiana! Coyotes are the only thing that give me a problem. Those other animals just pass on through! Kind of nice really.

I used to have a couple of wild coveys of quail I loved to watch each summer until the advent of, you guessed it, Coyotes! Now no quail.

Give the DNA a call and see what your legal options are. If you have seen one Coyote then there are a bunch more of them.

Good Luck
Colt1911

#4 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

Thanks Colt911. I have been talking to one of my neighbors. She called Animal Control. The told her to call DNR. DNR gave her the name of a man in Charlestown who is licensed to kill coyotes. She called and left her name and number. Hopefully something can be done. This seems crazy. We live in a small development. It sounds more like the wild west!

#5 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

Good luck. :thumbsup:

The war on Coyotes has been waged for a very long time.
Hunting, bounties, poison, traps, bombs ... with little to no effect.
Once they crossed the Mississippi there was no stopping them.

I'd personally like to see them eradicated but unless someone
can come up with a species specific biological control
I don't see much changing. :sad:

#6 Colt1911

Colt1911

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Colt911. I have been talking to one of my neighbors. She called Animal Control. The told her to call DNR. DNR gave her the name of a man in Charlestown who is licensed to kill coyotes. She called and left her name and number. Hopefully something can be done. This seems crazy. We live in a small development. It sounds more like the wild west!

You are very welcome ctownmon! I hope things work out with the Coyote problem!
Colt1911

#7 Happycat

Happycat

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

Just about the only time we here them here is when the cows next door are calving. Coyotes that are not afraid of people are dangerous. A lot of the western states have had incidences of children being attacked, especially in areas where urban sprawl has entered the coyotes habitat. This is something that should be taken very seriously.

#8 moose

moose

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

Ctownmom: Sorry about your dog. Something really needs to be done about the coyotes. I was visiting a friend who lives out in Stonebridge off High Jackson and it was in the middle of the day and I saw a coyote running through the neighborhood! I couldn't believe it. My friend said they won't let their dog out at night unless they take him out because it has gotten so bad.

#9 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:48 PM

Ctownmom, really sorry to hear you lost your dog. That's a shame.

Coyotes are one critter we haven't had to contend with yet down here in Jeffersonville, but we take Bethany Road over to Stony Point Road on our way to church every week. There are a LOT of homes out that way with no fenced yards. I hope your neighbors will start keeping a close eye on their pets from now on cause you can't be too careful.

We talk to a lot of people who have "invisible fences" and want to adopt a Greyhound. We have to tell them no because a Greyhound will go through an invisible fence at 45 mph and then won't return because of the shock from the collar. But, IMHO most importantly, an "invisible fence" does not keep anything OUT. Granted, no fence is going to stop a determined coyote (especially if there are small animals in your yard or food left outside for pets) but an intact 4' fence will certainly slow down the flow of wildlife through your yard.

All that having been said, we have a 6' stockade fence and live smack in the middle of Jeff. My dogs have caught rabbits, raccoons, possums and suicidal cats in our yard. (One of them even caught a turtle, but that's kind of embarrassing for a sighthound who can hit 45 mph in 3 strides.) I saw three grown deer strolling down the middle of Colonial Park Drive a few years ago. I assume it won't be long till we have to contend with coyotes too.

Edited by HoundDog, 28 October 2010 - 09:33 AM.

#10 WhatChaNeed

WhatChaNeed

Key Club

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:43 AM

... But, IMHO most importantly, an "invisible fence" does keep anything OUT. ...

Huh? You mean "does NOT"???

#11 WhatChaNeed

WhatChaNeed

Key Club

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:00 AM

I live in Charlestown on the eastern edge of town, close to the old rock quarry and I have Coyotes, Deer, Raccoons, Wild Turkeys and just about everything that walks, crawls and slithers in Indiana! ...

Those two does and their four babies have spent most of the summer in my yard. I've been feeding them, gave them a mineral block, and lots of water. It's no big deal to be sitting here and see the deer outside my window, less than twenty feet away.

In early June a coyote came out of the woods, licking his lips and approaching one of the fawns. He was 20 feet of so from the fawn when Momma Deer stepped in. The coyote left in a hurry. LOL

And yesterday my brother saw what he said was a huge buck, beginning his prowl of the neighborhood, looking for some lady deer friends. He wasn't having much luck, so he decided to ram the fence with his head a few times. LOL

Earlier this year a momma coon and her three babies were looking for a warm spot. They found one - fell right down my fireplace chimney. I had to remove my Buck Stove insert and leave my door open for a day and a night until Momma moved the babies back into the woods.

Down in the valley there lives what may be the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. He's so big I saw him twice before I figured out it was a coon. There is also a small groundhog living under my garden shed, and a slightly bigger one living down in the valley.

Squirrels? This place, and all of southern Indiana, is over-run with squirrels this year. There are quite a few rabbits around, too, but there numbers are declining quickly, based on the number of fur-piles I've seen. Oops. Score one (or two or three) for Big Bird.

My property is not in the city. Beginning Thanksgiving weekend the coyote population will begin to decline. Gonna stake 'em out and take 'em down, one at a time, from my comfy heated coyote blind. (All the other critters will be left alone.)

#12 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

The story I hear in the New Washington area is it all started with the turkeys.

DNR wanted to build the wild turkey population, so they released turkeys. The turkey population got so large they started building the coyote population to control the turkeys. Now the the coyote population is so big the rumor is there are Bobcats in the area, released by DNR. Don't know if this true but have heard it from several sources.

#13 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

My daughter came home from school yesterday and said that a neighbor who lives 3 houses down had seen 2 coyotes in their yard on Tuesday. This was in broad daylight. I'm getting concerned. These coyotes seem to not be afraid of people anymore. Not good.

#14 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

DNR wanted to build the wild turkey population, so they released turkeys. The turkey population got so large they started building the coyote population to control the turkeys. Now the the coyote population is so big the rumor is there are Bobcats in the area, released by DNR. Don't know if this true but have heard it from several sources.

I know one thing - I would much rather have 100 wild turkeys running through my yard than one coyote! lol

#15 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

Man! Where do people get this "stuff"? :rolleyes:

I have been told that they're introducing
timber rattlers to control the coyotes. :logik:

Maybe they should bring in Sasquatches to control them all. :drool:
  • Smokey likes this

#16 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Huh? You mean "does NOT"???

Obviously, I shouldn't be allowed to write so late at night! Yes, I meant "does NOT".

Thx.

#17 Colt1911

Colt1911

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

My property is not in the city. Beginning Thanksgiving weekend the coyote population will begin to decline. Gonna stake 'em out and take 'em down, one at a time, from my comfy heated coyote blind. (All the other critters will be left alone.)

Whatchaneed, at the risk of offending some members here and that is not my intent but I wish you a lot of success on the Coyote Blind!!! Heated? Are we getting soft in our elder years? LOL I am just kidding with you!

I know what you mean about a large raccoon! I had two this summer, they are still around, that were huge! I am getting older and too many folks live around me now so I couldn't...uh....harvest them so I provided water for them in the hopes they would not turn rabid!

I also had a coyote eyeing a fawn this past spring in my little woods and was about ready to shoot the coyote when the mommy dear stepped out of the woods and took care of the situation just like your situation! That was one tough mommy deer!

I bought some food and a salt block for the deer. She deserved it in my opinion!

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you that Baron Hill is a liar!

Best Wishes and good...harvesting this Thanksgiving! Heated Coyote Blind! That's good!
Colt1911

#18 Colt1911

Colt1911

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

I know one thing - I would much rather have 100 wild turkeys running through my yard than one coyote! lol

ctownmom the below link may be of some help to you. It is mostly common sense but some of it may help.
http://www.indianasp...ead.php?t=19375

Colt1911

#19 HoosierMomma

HoosierMomma

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

About 3 Friday nights ago I was shocked when I seen a coyote cross the road at Highway 3 and Highway 62. It was crossing into the industrial park around where nick nichols has all his stuff.

Also, I used to live in Texas where we had coyotes that would not harm our dogs but later found out it was because they were mating with our dogs! I then had litters of coyote puppys and my husband "took care" of the coyotes and we never had a problem again.

#20 smellslike

smellslike

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

The invisible fence idea would work but somehow we need to get a collar on every critter we want to keep out. Who wants to volunteer to do that job.

Coyote's were introduced some years back by the DNR and have for a long time been illegal to shoot unless you are given special permission from the state.

The best defense against a coyote is a couple of llamas. They will run down and kill a coyote like noone's bussiness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users