#41 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

STRONG SWIFT and IMMEDIATE. Please

That is the play Clarksville likes to use.

Hire leaders with no experience and they won't challenge authority.

Ex...Middle School Principal

Middle School Asst. Principal

High School Principal

Edited by Sleepy, 11 July 2016 - 12:53 PM.

• Avid Reader likes this

#42 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

STRONG SWIFT and IMMEDIATE. Please

That is the play Clarksville likes to use.

Hire leaders with no experience and they won't challenge authority.

Sleepy, in your educated and knowledgable opinion, is an immediate change a possibility? I have it on good authority that there is an individual with a superintendent's license who is currently unemployed who could take over immediately if needed. 

Edited by Avid Reader, 11 July 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#43 Tony

Tony

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

Sleepy, in your educated and knowledgable opinion, is an immediate change a possibility? I have it on good authority that there is an individual with a superintendent's license who is currently unemployed who could take over immediately if needed. 

If the Superintendent was to be let go, I don't think hiring someone's unemployed friend just because he's available is a smart choice.

Some are already questioning people being hired on here because they might be friends of the ones doing the hiring.

Many people are against hiring friends, unless it's their own friends getting hired.

#44 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

If the Superintendent was to be let go, I don't think hiring someone's unemployed friend just because he's available is a smart choice.

Some are already questioning people being hired on here because they might be friends of the ones doing the hiring.

Many people are against hiring friends, unless it's their own friends getting hired.

I certainly understand where you're coming from Tony! This person retired from a nearby school corporation to spend more time with family. I do not know the retiree personally, I only know that this person has retired and would be a nice interim fit until a proper search can be conducted. 

#45 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

There are a couple who fit that description. Former superintendents at GCS and WCCS.
  • Avid Reader likes this

#46 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

Here is a fact, there are many people with Principal, Asst. Principal, Counselor and

AD  experience looking for jobs.

I simply point out the system continues to hire inexperienced people for these jobs.

How many Principals has the Middle school had in the last 6 -8 years???

This building needs an experienced leader, as does the High School.

• Avid Reader likes this

#47 TinaCM

TinaCM

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Instead of building a new school we need to keep good teachers!   The school can be as preetty as you want, but if kids are not learning then it won't matter.

#48 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

I have heard that the wife of the principal at RA has been hired to be a counselor at CHS. That means she is supervised by the new principal who is a friend of hers, and who the counselor's husband helped hire with a process the board president called "flawed and unfair." One teacher from CHS even said that the new counselor will also be assigned to Renassiance Academy. If that is true, the counselor will not only be supervised by her friend who the counselor's husband helped hire in a process the school board president callied "flawed and unfair," but also by her own husband while she is counseling at Renassiance Academy.

If that is all true, it can be called the ultimate case of nepotism/favoritism. Does Clarksville Community Schools have board policies prohibiting nepotism? Was this counselor given the job because the counselor's husband helped the superintendent get the principal she wanted in an "unfair and flawed" process? Can anyone verify this? If it is verified, who is overseeing all of this?

Edited by Holy Cow, 13 July 2016 - 08:36 PM.

• Avid Reader likes this

#49 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:28 AM

I
If that is all true, it can be called the ultimate case of nepotism/favoritism. Does Clarksville Community Schools have board policies prohibiting nepotism? Was this counselor given the job because the counselor's husband helped the superintendent get the principal she wanted in an "unfair and flawed" process? Can anyone verify this? If it is verified, who is overseeing all of this?

Had to chuckle when I read the above.  Since when do "board policies" matter?   Certainly don't at other school districts --- nepotism reigns!  :yes:

• Sleepy likes this

#50 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

Ohhhhhhh

But if you speak to board members you get.....

"we are going to get to the bottom of this"

" Really, send me an e- mail and i will follow up"

" I was aware of this, but no one put it in writing"

" Let me call the superintendent and get back to you"

Edited by Sleepy, 14 July 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#51 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

Still more on the topic---

Renassiance Academy is underenrolled. The goals set for 2016 - 2017 included 100 students per class for three classes = 300 total students. Projected total enrollment is currently around 150 students.

Assignment of the teaching staff among CHS, CMS, and RA has been been a mess.

With around two weeks before the start of school, students at CHS do not have class schedules.

Many people around the school community are getting restless and wanting the board to take action.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Holy Cow, 15 July 2016 - 06:58 AM.

#52 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

Still more on the topic---

Renassiance Academy is underenrolled. The goals set for 2016 - 2017 included 100 students per class for three classes = 300 total students. Projected total enrollment is currently around 150 students.

A few posts upthread the RA enrollment was estimated at 125, which is 42% of the projected enrollment, nonetheless it has 6 full time teachers and a principal who by the way, is the second highest paid employee in CCSC. The RA students will be bussed to CHS for band, choir, all foreign languages, and PE.

#53 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

With all of these issues, where exactly is the problem?

Edited by Holy Cow, 15 July 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#54 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

The problem as I see it...not enough students want to go to RA. The solution...close RA, reassign the teachers where they are needed most. Scrap the expensive principal and use his salary to hire another teacher or two...

• Avid Reader and Sleepy like this

#55 nononsense

nononsense

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

As usual, so much misinformation! Projections for RA were not 100 per class, that was max. Actual was 60-70 anticipated. Still below actual.Purpose was to provide an option to southern Indiana. Clarksville has about 20% of total enrollment from outside district. Approximately $1.3 million. in state money. RA has about 50% of students from out of area. Students from New Albany, Sellersburg, Scottsburg, Madison, Jeffersonville, Charlestown. All mean state support of $5000-6000 per student . If anyone would attend meetings they would know.

• Tony likes this

#56 Tony

Tony

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:24 AM

As usual, so much misinformation! Projections for RA were not 100 per class, that was max. Actual was 60-70 anticipated. Still below actual.Purpose was to provide an option to southern Indiana. Clarksville has about 20% of total enrollment from outside district. Approximately $1.3 million. in state money. RA has about 50% of students from out of area. Students from New Albany, Sellersburg, Scottsburg, Madison, Jeffersonville, Charlestown. All mean state support of $5000-6000 per student . If anyone would attend meetings they would know.

Probably the best post of this thread.

RA was started as possibly the future in schools and teaching.

It may or may not ever have the number of students some expect or complain about.

It is an alternative for kids who want something different in learning that they don't get at a typical high school.

It also may be better suited for some students that may have a medical reason for having learning issues. I have heard stories from parents whose child just can't sit in a normal classroom and that this type of setting is a great help to them. 

If just a few students get a diploma that maybe wouldn't have otherwise it could all be worth it.

If just a few students get an education in an area they are happy with when otherwise they wouldn't it could all be worth it.

I wasn't a big supporter of this school or the town gifting so much for it, but I realize now it COULD be a huge asset for CCSC and the town in the future.

#57 Tony

Tony

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:41 AM

I had 3 different principals my first 3 years at Clarksville High school many years ago. I don't think principal change rate is as new as some people make it out to be. 

It looks like some other area schools are getting new principals. Is that a major failure for them or just a fact of today's job changing reality.

Many people in all fields change jobs often.

If someone is not happy with their job at CCSC it is probably best for all if they move on sooner than later to find a new position they are happy with. 

There are people everywhere unhappy with their jobs and their bosses in all professions. A few squeaky wheels don't necessarily speak for all teachers or parents.

Edited by Tony, 16 July 2016 - 06:42 AM.

#58 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

If the number is 60-70 per grade, the school is still way behind the projections.

Check the number of kids that checked in the first year and are still at the school.

Tony,

Clarksville has a terrible terrible lack of leadership and direction.  Paint it how ever you

like but teachers are leaving as fast as they can. 6-8 Middle school principals in a short

time is never a good thing.

Perhaps the board should do exit interviews with the teachers and administrators that are leaving??

Students have waited for schedules, are they out yet?   

To say a few squeaky wheels shows you are drastically misrepresenting the true problem.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.  

#59 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

Nonsense, I would suggest that you ask any Town Board member and any member of the CCSC Board of School Trustees what number they were told. I have spoken to a few and all of them say 100 per class is what they were told/sold. They also say the 60-70 number per class was the number they were all given after the first year projections were not met.

Tony, your points are valid about schools and programs being designed to meet the needs of students, but there still must be cost-effectiveness involved. When you run school corporations with small numbers like CCSC, you cannot afford to support an entire school if the school cannot financially sustain itself; and in today's education funding landscape that is based on head counts. If the school corporation does not wake up and take measures to meet enrollment projects at 100 students per class, and address true sustainability, this school and the entire school corporation could end up in trouble.

Edited by Holy Cow, 16 July 2016 - 06:45 PM.

• Avid Reader likes this

#60 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

If the school corporation does not wake up and take measures to meet enrollment projects at 100 students per class, and address true sustainability, this school and the entire school corporation could end up in trouble.

The entire school corporation is in trouble when an English teacher is let go because she is told enrollment is down. This RIF ignited a chain reaction: there are middle school English classes which need to be staffed, students at RA who will be attending Prosser will have to learn Junior English online without a teacher, there will be no advanced English classes in the ninth and tenth grades at the high school because there is no one to staff them. There is money to pay for an English position, the superintendent jumped the gun on the RIF before fully investigating that aftermath. 

Edited by Avid Reader, 16 July 2016 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users