127 replies to this topic

#21 HoosierHoopsFan

HoosierHoopsFan

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:36 PM

Haven’t posted in awhile, but I still read a lot! A friend asked me to make some general comments she witnessed without giving too much information away about her “kid” who goes to RA. Her kid really liked the idea of the school, but the idea and reality are two very different things. Kid says there is too much group work and that groups are assigned to make sure that not all the kids who do their work get in the same group. Kid says that there are always at least one or two students in the group who do nothing and get the same grade the people who did the whole project. Kid says that there is too much freedom and not enough organization.  RA kids come and go as they please, even sitting in the bathrooms and having conversations with students of the opposite sex. Kid says they got their phone taken away from them because students were making too many social media posts. That lasted for about a week, then it was back to normal.

Mom said that she picked up kid from school for an appointment late fall and it was total chaos. Kids were running around yelling, most of the ones she could see were on their phones  and only about 8-10 kids were actually doing work. She didn’t want to jump to conclusions and asked Kid if there was something wrong or something special going on, Kid said no.  Kid wanted to leave at semester break for home school and was told that was not going to happen by the principle. He said no one leaves.  Our friend did not want to push it, but Kid will not be back next year, nor will her two friends she met there.

I think it’s a good idea, but maybe it’s time for a change in leadership and to put it in CHS. Kid says she only got one elective class she really wanted it and there are four other classes going on at the same time so they can’t do anything fun.  Our niece has friends from her club sport who go there and she showed us photos on some program called snapchatter (I think that’s what it’s called). There a lot of posts during the school day and some from a bathroom. I don’t think bathroom photos with both boys and girls in them are appropriate, call me old fashioned.

The kids at CHS shouldn’t have to suffer with larger classes and less teachers for this experiment. It’s time to close the checkbook and make things right. That’s my two cents!! 

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#22 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

To be clear, there is no such thing as a principal being able to say no, with any force, to homeschooling in Indiana. If they want to homeschool, they can homeschool. Period.

If it comes up again, and they are willing to push it, tell them to holler. I'll be happy to join in said pushing it, and I can bring back up with me.

Edited by kelley, 03 February 2016 - 08:22 PM.

• Debbie, Russell Brooksbank and rastudent like this

#23 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

To be clear, there is no such thing as a principal being able to say no, with any force, to homeschooling in Indiana. If they want to homeschool, they can homeschool. Period.

If it comes up again, and they are willing to push it, tell them to holler. I'll be happy to join in said pushing it, and I can bring back up with me.

I know a certain group that would definitely back you up.
  • kelley likes this

#24 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:42 AM

To be clear, there is no such thing as a principal being able to say no, with any force, to homeschooling in Indiana. If they want to homeschool, they can homeschool. Period.If it comes up again, and they are willing to push it, tell them to holler. I'll be happy to join in said pushing it, and I can bring back up with me.

I was just about to post this same thing. Please feel free to contact me if you want any help with this.
  • kelley likes this

#25 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:02 AM

My granddaughter told me this morning that she went on a field trip yesterday, to tour the RA. I asked her what she thought; she just shook her head. When I asked if she would want to go to school there, she said "No!"

#26 HoosierHoopsFan

HoosierHoopsFan

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

Posting on behalf of a friend. The good folks of Clarksville need a wake up call. How many administrators does it take to run a school district of 1300? 10? Your school board is keeping overpriced administrators and getting rid of teachers. There are at least three teachers being let go because of declining enrollment and how many administrators are being let go? None. Yes. None. Residents will know one of these three teachers, it's a familiar long time name who is well liked and respected. Darn shame. 

Residents with kids or grandkids in the schools need to start asking questions. Start asking the hard questions because if this continues your kids and grandkids will be going to Greater Clark in a few years if this doesn't stop. You have everything going for you: small class sizes, local schools within walking distance your homes, good facilities and you are throwing it away.

• Tina and Sleepy like this

#27 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

Posting for  a friend

I believe a positive change will be taking place soon.

The HS principle will be leaving to take a position as an assistant principal 

out of the area.  I will hold my thoughts for a few days.

Edited by Sleepy, 25 May 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#28 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

A little aside of Sleepy's subject, when it comes to matters between Clarksville's and Greater Clark's school districts within the town borders. who makes decisions on expenditures from the town? On a percentage, how many kids are there from each school district?

Reason I'm asking is that a couple of times a year I ride up Eastern Boulevard and see banners of Clarksville's senior athletes. While I have no problem whatsoever with such recognition of a student, I see no equal for the Greater Clark kids which I believe make up a healthy chunk of school aged residents. Anyone know how that's divided?

#29 SpaceTime

SpaceTime

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

GreyArea great question about how school zones are divided. We live in Clarksville but my daughter would have to attend Parkwood Elementary. After researching the two schools and talking to other parents my choice was 100% Clarksville Elementary. I am so grateful that we have the choice to go elsewhere.

#30 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Had lunch with a friend who told me Clarksville HS has lost

The Principal (new job as an assistant), Asst. Principal has left, and the 

Athletic Director left.

This problem may be above..I know the board did not renew the Supt. Contract and then

Later backed off and gave the Supt a 1 year deal.

Anyone closer to this know what is going on?

#31 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

After a trip to the corporation's website, it appears that the guidance counselor has departed, as well. 

I also asked around but could not get an answer, maybe IUMom will know she usually comes through will numbers, how many students will the Renaissance Academy have in the fall. In the proposal, it said that the school would be up to 300 in its third year. Anyone know how that's going? 

Edited by Avid Reader, 17 June 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#32 IUMom

IUMom

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

I am hearing there are approx. 123 students signed up for RA. This isn't even close to the 300 they anticipated. You would think parents and the community would be as concerned with the number of teachers and now administrators that are leaving the corporation. What is the reason for this???

• Avid Reader and Sleepy like this

#33 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

I believe  concern is all around.  The entire administrative staff has left Clarksville HS

RA way under the numbers projected.

All the players have left the team, the Coach and management remains.....SAD

#34 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

I believe  concern is all around.  The entire administrative staff has left Clarksville HS

I don't see any concern or urgency. I would think parents, if they were concerned, would take action. It has been business as usual for the past several years. 

Information relayed to me this weekend:

• There will be only two math teachers at CHS this year. Math classes will be well over 30. 
  • There will only be three English teachers at CHS this year. A first year English teacher was let go due to RIF.
  • There are no business courses or home economics courses offered at CMS or CHS. 
  • No fewer than 12 students left RA to return to CHS.
  • RA has a opening in a subject area in which there is a teacher at CHS who could easily cover that course and is extremely qualified, principal at RA has a special needs teacher get emergency licensed to cover that class.
  • There are teachers interviewing for other positions left and right.

#35 rastudent

rastudent

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

#36 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

Board elections are on the way.  We can blame blame blame..

The community needs to put board members in place who can solve some of the issues discussed.

Holding the administration accountable is the glaring issue I see with the current board.

#37 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

This looks noteworthy.

http://www.courier-j...ocess/86880534/

The school board president and another board member voted against the superintendent's recommendation because the superintendent utilized a "an unfair and flawed" process to select the new CHS principal.

There are many teachers talking about the "fix" that the superintendent and a few of her chosen teachers and administrators used to make sure they hired who she wanted. It sounds like the superintendent who was given a one-year reprieve from being fired last year (thanks in large part to the board president) is up to the same tricks that got her in trouble over the past few years.

The question is now whether the school board will move to dismiss the superintendent after this? After all, it is very seldom when you see a school board president, who is also very powerfully positioned as the president of the Indiana School Boards Association, publicly challenge the integrity of his/her superintendent.

Word on the street is to stay tuned. Sleepy, Avid Reader or anyone else have any intel?

Edited by Holy Cow, 09 July 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#38 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

Ms. Knott will be noticed very soon for crossing Mr. Wilson.

Odd, Mr. Wilson was the one who saved her job a short time ago.

Remember this board voted to non renew her contract, but Mr. Wilson

rallied the votes to keep her......She will be noticed very, very soon.

Flawed process..Very funny.  I believe this refers to the fact that Ms. Knott

didn't hire who Mr. Wilson wanted so it must be flawed. I guess 3 members 

like flaws.

Lets go back in time.

1. Principal of Middle School....

2. Middle School ASST Principal.  

FLAWS TO THE LEFT OF ME JOKERS TO THE RIGHT......

Stay tuned.

Please keep in mind this is just my opinion, it is worth no more or less then others.

Edited by Sleepy, 10 July 2016 - 11:27 AM.

• Avid Reader likes this

#39 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

In doing some deeper research on this, I found some things to be interesting.

The superintendent in her statement on the new principal seemed to press the envelope of reality in terms of the new principal's skills. The superintendent addressed her mastery of implementation. That seems odd because the information I got indicates that the new principal has no real experience except as an interim assistant principal. How can the superintendent praise someone for the ability to lead or implement when they have never been in charge of a building?

One Clarksville teacher said that the new principal is from East Washington. Guess who else has roots in East Washington? None other than the principal of Renaissance Academy, who most teachers in Clarksville see as the chief puppet for the superintendent. By the way, one person said that the wife of the principal at Renaissance Academy, who is a counselor at East Washington is in line to replace the departed guidance counselor at Clarksville HS. Maybe that has already happened.

Add all this to the mass exodus of teachers and administrators over the past few years. From information among Clarksville teachers, most of that can be traced back to leadership at the school corporation office. Many loyal Clarksville patrons are also upset that the superintendent wasn't fired last year.

This could get very ugly for a superintendent who is not liked by many in Clarksville and whose job was spared last year by the very person who called her hiring process "unfair and flawed." The winds of change may be blowing in Clarksville.

Edited by Holy Cow, 10 July 2016 - 08:22 PM.

• Sleepy likes this

#40 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:23 PM

This could get very ugly for a superintendent who is not liked by many in Clarksville and whose job was spared last year by the very person who called her hiring process "unfair and flawed." The winds of change may be blowing in Clarksville.

I have talked to many who pray for that wind to be strong and swift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users