Photo

Jeff is not pro-business. Have you seen this ordinance?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

What is interesting to me is HOW can GCCS have the money to purchase this property and, according to their capital projects plan, spend approx. $6,000,000 on it when they went around for months telling people what "dire condition" the school buildings were in and how "unsafe" they were.  

Perhaps it might make a nicer bus compound -- perhaps it has more space than the current one --- BUT is it essential?   Absolutely NOT.   The Board and Melin say over and over that they put the "kids first"!!   Well, those are just words without any meaning.

This is another example of wasted tax dollars that should be going to update our school buildings.   Shame on GCCS for even thinking about this.

Anybody  that thinks they need a $6 million compound for buses should be fired!  If I couldn't build a very nice repair shop and parking lot for a fraction of that

I would fire myself.

• IntegrityMatters, Tina and Sleepy like this

#22 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:16 AM

Certain people on the counse would like to see the same old good boy practices continue. As long as they are the ones that benefit they are happy. To point, the current president.

#23 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

Per a correction in today's paper the school corp and the auto auction have not yet executed a contract.

Presumably, that means the bus depot would fall under the moratorium.

On a related note, I've been in discussions this morning about some folks being able to help others by working on vehicles on a "pay as you can/choose" model. We were well into the discussion and focusing on specific potential locations when it was pointed out those hoping to do this good work in Jeffersonville would have to battle it out with the city first to help people on property secured by their own funds. Since the locations we were discussing were in Jeff, and that it would be a good place to get close to those with the need, it really sucks to realize this probably won't happen here.

This measure isn't just not pro-business, it's not pro-compassion.

Edited by kelley, 29 January 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#24 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

Indiana Supreme Court has ruled that bussing children to school is not a requirement of schools. Due to budget deficits, GCCS could eliminate bussing. With that thought, it seems that GCCS would not sink so much investment into a bus terminal.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 1 other like this

#25 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

Per a correction in today's paper the school corp and the auto auction have not yet executed a contract.

Presumably, that means the bus depot would fall under the moratorium.

While they may not have executed a "contract"; they presumably do have a "purchase agreement" according to the Letter of Intent filed by Greater Clark:

APPLICATION FOR REZONING

OF GREATER CLARK COUNTY SCHOOL CORPORATION

LETTER OF INTENT

Greater Clark County School Corporation (hereinafter "GCCSC"), an Indiana not for profit corporation, seeks to rezone the property currently operated as Clark County Auto Auction from its existing classification C2 District Classification (Medium to Large Scale General Commercial) to an IS District Classification (Institutional Uses) so that it may combine its vehicle transportation and maintenance departments to a single central location.  GCCSC is currently under a Purchase Agreement for the subject property with Fetter Properties, LLC; the current owner of the subject property.

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 29 January 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#26 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

Indiana Supreme Court has ruled that bussing children to school is not a requirement of schools. Due to budget deficits, GCCS could eliminate bussing.

Attendance would drop, and the federal funds would be reduced.

Not a chance of that happening.....

#27 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

While they may not have executed a "contract"; they presumably do have a "purchase agreement" according to the Letter of Intent filed by Greater Clark:

APPLICATION FOR REZONING

OF GREATER CLARK COUNTY SCHOOL CORPORATION

LETTER OF INTENT

Greater Clark County School Corporation (hereinafter "GCCSC"), an Indiana not for profit corporation, seeks to rezone the property currently operated as Clark County Auto Auction from its existing classification C2 District Classification (Medium to Large Scale General Commercial) to an IS District Classification (Institutional Uses) so that it may combine its vehicle transportation and maintenance departments to a single central location. GCCSC is currently under a Purchase Agreement for the subject property with Fetter Properties, LLC; the current owner of the subject property.

Very interesting.

We have conflicting information here.

#28 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

Damnit. I didn't keep that part of the paper and can't find the correction note online to double-check exactly what Fetter said about the deal.

The original story said "purchase contract." A contract and a purchase agreement are usually the same thing. There could be unmet contingencies with the agreement, such as the zoning change they were applying for...

It's unclear to me if an agreement was accepted and signed, but just included terms that haven't been fulfilled, or if there was never a signed agreement.

Edited to add: info just came my way. Everything in front of me right now suggests GCCS fibbed in that there letter of intent.

Edited by kelley, 29 January 2016 - 02:25 PM.

#29 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Seems reasonable to me that the city would like to pause and take a look at new regulations regarding automotive businesses. Six months isn't that long. 10th Street stretch looks shabby with four empty gas stations and other vacated stores.

• Avid Reader and Poppie like this

#30 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

Seems reasonable to me that the city would like to pause and take a look at new regulations regarding automotive businesses. Six months isn't that long. 10th Street stretch looks shabby with four empty gas stations and other vacated stores.

Unless I've misunderstood something, the moratorium applies to the entire city, not just 10th St. The discussions I was having this morning were about downtown, and the city's desire to prohibit new auto-related business to operate in downtown locations already auto-related in structure and past use has come up at a meeting recently.

#31 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

Indiana Supreme Court has ruled that bussing children to school is not a requirement of schools. Due to budget deficits, GCCS could eliminate bussing. With that thought, it seems that GCCS would not sink so much investment into a bus terminal.

They'd have to keep those schools within neighborhoods and walking distance with that change. I kind of like that idea. Would be rough on families in rural areas though.

Would be good for Jeff.

Edited by kelley, 29 January 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#32 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Edited to add: info just came my way. Everything in front of me right now suggests GCCS fibbed in that there letter of intent.

<------------ This is my surprised face......

• kelley and CityBoy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users