122 replies to this topic

#1 javajoe

javajoe

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

As much as I try to be open minded about the "town manager" idea, I still think we're spending too much of the taxpayers money on a new position. I believe that the town council is pushing some of their work and responsiblity on to someone else.

#2 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:57 AM

http://www.newsandtr...9c99d5acf3.html

Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2016 4:13 pm

By ELIZABETH BEILMAN

CLARKSVILLE — The hunt for a town manager is moving right along in Clarksville, as the search committee researches executive firms that will find candidates for the job.

The committee will also soon hear from a panel of experts that can give town council members ideas about a town manager's powers and responsibilities, in preparation of writing a job description.

Further along the article says:

A town council orientation will give members more information about the possible roles of a town manager and his or her relationship with the council and town employees.

Mark Levin, clinical associate professor for Indiana University's School of Public and Environmental Affairs and senior adviser for the Indiana Municipal Management Association, is gathering a panel of Indiana town managers and council members for the orientation process.

Each panelist will give an introduction about themselves and answer questions about their roles, what they consider the most important authorities a town manager should have and what they believe to be an ideal relationship with the town council.

--------------------------------------------

Personally I am not convinced we need a town manager, but I am happy to see this council is seriously looking into the question, and searching out information on the duties and responsibilities of a town manager instead of just cobbling together a job description and throwing job notices out locally only.

I had a poor opinion of several of the council members in the recent past, and there were questions of how things were done, not enough oversight, but...

I believe our town has a lot more going for it than surrounding communities, and like it or not, we do have to give past town councils credit for that. However our town has grown a lot under the past councils so I think one question is will the current and future councils be able to give the larger town the oversight that is needed in their part time positions?

• javajoe likes this

#3 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Not to mention no raises for 2016 for employees

Reason given,  Need Money for town Manager.

#4 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Reason given,  Need Money for town Manager.

Nobody has said that...you made it up, just like you have a tendency to do about a lot of stuff.  I thought you liked to deal in facts?

#5 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

I was told this directly from someone employed.  Not made up

Just Like I didn't make up Fire Chief was gone, just like I didn't make

up Lawyer gone, just like I didn't make up Mr. iilpo gone.

Just like I didn't make up twice defeated town council friend 

Mr. Barr would be hired.

All of the above our facts.  Tom you are around a lot, find me an employee who got

their 2016 step increase or raise.  Please start your research at the street department.

Thank you.

• Huston likes this

#6 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

You know, 2016 is only 12 days old. Maybe raises for the employees are not in the cards just now (according to your hearsay, Sleepy), but there is a whole lot of 2016 left, and plenty of time to let the new council get settled, get down to business, do what they need to do...and perhaps even find raises for the employees. Stop with the sore loser attitude, Sleepy, and give this new council time to do their job. Stop with all the negativity already! I'm so freaking tired of it!

Edited by Grumpy Granny

• Quasar, TomD and Goldwater Girl like this

#7 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

Granny

Let me ask you this.  If you were told by a councilperson there will be no raises this year,

do you believe them??

Why would the council not say, currently we are not giving raises but we will continue to look into this.

I believe the second statement would have been the best.

Are people not to believe what they are told????

I hope you are right Granny.    The leader of this group had four years to settle in.

I hope being the  BOSS isn't going to his head.

I,  like you, will hope for the best.   Time will tell.  But the Truth is always the Truth.

As for being a sore loser, I believe name calling is not allowed on Chatter.

Edited by Sleepy, 12 January 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#8 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

I was told this directly from someone employed.  Not made up

Just Like I didn't make up Fire Chief was gone, just like I didn't make

Mr. Barr would be hired.

All of the above our facts.  Tom you are around a lot, find me an employee who got

their 2016 step increase or raise.  Please start your research at the street department.

Thank you.

Quote:I was told this directly from someone employed.

Employed where?  Who?  If you won't name a source, I have no reason to believe you. 

I was told the moon is made of green cheese, Santa Claus lived at the North Pole, and the stork brought babies, but I'm sure not going to repeat any of it as the truth. 

Quote: I didn't make up Fire Chief was gone, just like I didn't make

Mr. Barr would be hired.

Who cares?

It looks as if the election loss has made you very bitter.  I hope you get over it and find peace. 

Perhaps the personnel changes will be good for Clarksville.  Perhaps the old guard needed to make changes, but didn't have the cojones to do it. It seems that any action by our council is criticized by you...most likely because of party politics.  Face it...you lost...move on.  Or stick around and keep whining.

Quote: find me an employee who got

Sleepy, find me a Social Security recipient that got a raise.  Start your research wherever you wish. 

What was the growth in the CPI last year?

Edited by TomD, 13 January 2016 - 07:21 AM.
edit spelling

• GrumpyGranny and Big Bopper like this

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

I'm always in awe of the idea that someone deserves a raise every year.  Who decides they deserve this raise?  Well they do of course!  Anything less than across the board raises is completely unfair.  No raises is just downright evil?

This is not how it works in the private sector.  

Not only that, but let me ask this of anyone in the know:  do Clarksville employees get cost of living and longevity raises?  

• IntegrityMatters likes this

#10 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:21 PM

TomD and Sleepy, you guys do the best imitations of Hannity and Colmes I have ever seen.
  • kelley likes this

#11 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:06 AM

You know, 2016 is only 12 days old. Maybe raises for the employees are not in the cards just now (according to your hearsay, Sleepy), but there is a whole lot of 2016 left, and plenty of time to let the new council get settled, get down to business, do what they need to do...and perhaps even find raises for the employees. Stop with the sore loser attitude, Sleepy, and give this new council time to do their job. Stop with all the negativity already! I'm so freaking tired of it!

Edited by Grumpy Granny

Ok, Sleepy, since you seem to think you are in a position to tell me what I can post on this site, I have edited my post. Happy? Hope so!

• Quasar likes this

#12 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

Granny

Sleepy here are a couple of points for your consideration...

First is that if you have an issue where you believe there is a rule violation that is so severe that it needs to be addressed... use the "report" feature and explain the issue. Our staff will review the report and take action if warranted. There is no need for you to attempt to address it or discuss it in a post... cause when you do that you just appear to be an ass... 

Second... you probably have noticed that under GrumpyGranny's avatar... it says "Administrators". Basically that means that she has the keys to this joint... and she can banish your ass to cyber hell forever with a few key strokes... so before you poke at her much more, you might want to consider if you enjoy posting on this site or not... because I sense that you are living on the edge... the choice is yours... 

Carry on... 

• GrumpyGranny, kelley and Donna like this

#13 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:36 AM

I have never lost an election.   Sorry Tom D  keep digging. 

I do wish others won the election if that is what you are pointing out.

Quasar, Thank you for the advice, next time I will do the said report.

#14 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

I'm always in awe of the idea that someone deserves a raise every year.  Who decides they deserve this raise?  Well they do of course!  Anything less than across the board raises is completely unfair.  No raises is just downright evil?

This is not how it works in the private sector.  

Not only that, but let me ask this of anyone in the know:  do Clarksville employees get cost of living and longevity raises?  

Personally I believe raises should be given on performance and earned.  They should be recommended by the department head and supported by verification of some sort.

This would be an incentive to employees to up their game.  

Edited by Big Bopper, 13 January 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#15 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Personally I believe raises should be given on performance and earned. They should be recommended by the department head and supported by verification of some sort.
This would be an incentive to employees to up their game.

Novel idea... To not get a raise just for clocking in for another year...

#16 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

Banish your donkey...

Privilege is real!!

Edited by kelley, 13 January 2016 - 12:29 PM.

• Quasar and Donna like this

#17 javajoe

javajoe

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

If the town council is having their work load shifted to a town manager. I think it would be fair for the town council to give up their tax payer subsidized insurance to help pay the town manger's salary.

• kelley, miami vice, James-R-McClure-Jr and 2 others like this

#18 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

AMEN  JAVA JOE   AMEN

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#19 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

Banish your ass...

Privilege is real!!

The struggle is real...  :yes:

About Town Managers of course... 

• kelley and Donna like this

#20 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Sleepy,do town employees get cost of living and or longevity pay?

For the record, Sellersburg town council members do not get insurance.
  • IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users