Photo

New City Government: What's in the Future?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

The first meeting with our new City Council was an ugly one.  By dismissing the Pleasant Ridge Task Force, Mayor Hall wasted no time in serving notice to PR residents that they are unwelcome in the city.  His brutal treatment of Josh Craven, president of the Pleasant Ridge Neighborhood Assoc., was met with cheers by his numerous supporters in attendance.  They should hang their head in shame. 

I know only one member of the Council, Tina Barnes, and she has my utmost respect.  Many of my friends know Councilmen Brian Hester and Ben Ledbetter, and they assure me that they are good, moral people, capable of independent thought.  If so, they must have been embarrassed to sit there while Hall tore into Craven.  I only wish they had spoken up and disassociated themselves with the mayor’s crude behavior.  It won’t be the last time they witness this.

We're off to a horrible start.  But maybe, just maybe, the new Council members will quickly adjust to their role as representatives of ALL CITIZENS, regardless of their address or their political affiliations.

• kelley and Old Pawpaw like this

#2 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

I didn't get to attend...is it true that city council will meet twice a month now? Did they give a reason for getting rid of the Task Force?

#3 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

Is anyone surprised?

#4 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

I didn't get to attend...is it true that city council will meet twice a month now? Did they give a reason for getting rid of the Task Force?

Yes, they will meet twice a month.

Hall said he took issue with the task force not representing people outside of the Neighborhood Assoc.  (However, when the committee was formed he refused to appoint two members of his choosing.  Seems to me he wants it both ways.)  

Councilman Eric Vaughn's statements about the issue confused me.  Alluding to the appointment of additional members, he said, "It wouldn't have been enough anyway . . . there would need to be more representation of the entire city.  But then he said, "I think as it's currently structured (five members) there's just too many people . . . it needs to be pared back."  Huh?

Good stories in the Courier-Journal and the News & Tribune:

http://www.courier-j...pleasant ridge/

http://www.newsandtr...84ad1ef219.html

#5 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

The second meeting of the new City Council was held last night.  IMO, they made a huge mistake by passing (on first reading) a falsely titled Resolution.  In doing so, they ceded to the mayor and his Redevelopment Commission a huge chunk of their fiscal authority. If you believe the title, its purpose was to "authorize action to develop and implement plans for improvement of conditions in the Pleasant Ridge subdivision."  Problem:  The Resolution stated that this would require "removal of all of the temporary housing."  How do you square the stated goal of "Improvement of conditions" with the stated method of "removal of all houses."  So, how does the mayor plan to proceed?  It's pretty clear, because the Resolution states that "the Common Council . . . recognizes that such plans may require the acquisition of real properties by . . . the Redevelopment Commission [among other named entities]."

As pointed out by Councilwoman Tina Barnes (the only "No" vote), the mayor did not need this Resolution to pursue his plans for redevelopment of Pleasant Ridge.  He already has all the tools and authority he needs.  An honest title of Resolution 2016-R-1 would be:  "A Resolution Transferring Fiscal Authority from the Common Council to the Mayor."

I had hoped for better from the other Council members, especially Ben Lebetter and Brian Hester, both of whom are educators, and college-educated.  I will credit them with having a sincere desire to do something about Pleasant Ridge.  I hope that, with time, they will come to realize that they can better fulfill their new role by listening to all sides of an issue, and consulting various sources, even those who opposed them in the recent election. There is a lot of good, solid information out there, folks.  But you must first be willing to seek it out.

Edited by CityBoy, 19 January 2016 - 02:43 PM.

• kelley and Old Pawpaw like this

#6 Boss Lady

Boss Lady

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

Like This
Boss Lady's PhotoBoss Lady
2 minutes ago
If it hadn't been for the 6th district Bob hall would have lost the race cause shepherd was winning until those numbers came in. I don't understand how the city of Charlestown can support a man like Bob hall. Everything that comes out of that mans mouth is a lie and now things are going to get bad. He doesn't care about the people of Charlestown he is just worried about money. Drugs are everywhere in this small town from high dollar homes to apartments one neighborhood should not be put on the spot for drugs. There are other ways to go about fixing up that neighborhood not just takes people's homes. He is going to put families and children on the streets to replace that area with high dollar homes that he actually thinks people are going to move into. This isn't Louisville this is a small town with good people and it needs to stay that way just because some businesses are popping up on 62 you think Charlestown is going to get big? No people will move to jeffersonville or drive from other places like they do now. He needs to get off his high horses cause the last time I checked his house wasn't that fancy either looks like it should be belighted. And mr Ledbetter how could he let this happen? What happens when hall comes after Glendale? What will Ledbetter do then? He has a nice home in that subdivision. I don't think the council fully understood what they were getting into will hall hand picked them (his puppets) and now it's too late. Stay strong PR and don't give up the fight SHOULD HAVE TOOK THE RIGHT STEP

#7 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

Bob Hall's petulance and his vindictive behavior toward the city policemen is endangering the safety of C'town citizens.  Not long after his election, the dept.'s third in command was demoted.  He promptly resigned.  The handwriting was on the wall.  Since then, I'm told that six more patrolmen have resigned. If that's true, one-half of the officers assigned to patrol duty are gone.  

If I learn that my numbers are wrong, I will correct them on this thread.

Edited by CityBoy, 28 January 2016 - 03:18 PM.

• kelley likes this

#8 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Rest easy. They have been replaced by 5 new police officers.

#9 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

Dougie, are the five new ones experienced policemen, or are they new recruits that have yet to get qualified by finishing the academy training?

#10 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

The new police officers will stay in place as long as they bow down to King Bob and never dare question His Majesty's supreme authority. Keep the police in mind,new City Council members,the mass exodus of the Police Department is proof positive that if your opinion differs from that of Mayor Bob Hall you had better keep it to yourself. If not your stay as an employee or elected official will be short lived! If you doubt what I am saying,just ask any of the dozens of employees who have been forced into early retirement or fired outright by Bob Hall's henchmen (he does not have the nerve or the integrity to do it himself) or ask the previous City Council members who were demonized by Bully Bob.

#11 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

Dougie, are the five new ones experienced policemen, or are they new recruits that have yet to get qualified by finishing the academy training?

I know one of them personally and he has experience. The others I can't speak to their experience levels.

#12 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

Old Pee paw the previous police officers quit. They were not fired. Once again your democrat bias has clouded your narrative.

#13 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

Doggie, my political leaning has noting to do with my opinion of Bob Hall,most officers quit because Boss Hog would not even consider their request for Collective Bargaining and or a Merit Board. I'm sure you would be the first in the long line to kiss the Mayor where the sun don't shine! Have a nice day!

#14 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:57 PM

Monday night there will be a Charlestown City Council meeting, I am sure Bob Hall will use the meeting to take advantage of his new City Council and ram-rod some type of new ordinance or ordinances into play that will give himself even more control over the people. I have been criticized many times by Bob Hall supporters as having no bases for classifying Bob Hall as a would be Dictator,King,or Supreme Ruler,Bob Hall is a control freak who will show his true colors ,if not Monday night then in the near future. If taking total control of Charlestown was not his plan, then would someone please explain to me why the City Council meetings have been changed from once a month to twice a month. Bob Hall wants to strike while the iron is hot, and will not stop until he has total control of everything in Charlestown. New City Council Members beware,the good people of Charlestown elected you to represent them and to to act as a check and balance for Charlestown Government. If you are not careful,before you realize what he is doing Bob Hall will turn you all into his personal scape goats and rubber stamps. He will someday very soon try to take away your ability to reason and to make decisions based on information that you feel is morally and ethically right and replace your decisions with his preconceived dictatorial plans. Charlestown citizans and City Council Members if you don't believe what I am saying,please come to the City Council meeting and see for yourselves.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#15 Riverlover

Riverlover

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

Monday night there will be a Charlestown City Council meeting, I am sure Bob Hall will use the meeting to take advantage of his new City Council and ram-rod some type of new ordinance or ordinances into play that will give himself even more control over the people. I have been criticized many times by Bob Hall supporters as having no bases for classifying Bob Hall as a would be Dictator,King,or Supreme Ruler,Bob Hall is a control freak who will show his true colors ,if not Monday night then in the near future. If taking total control of Charlestown was not his plan, then would someone please explain to me why the City Council meetings have been changed from once a month to twice a month. Bob Hall wants to strike while the iron is hot, and will not stop until he has total control of everything in Charlestown. New City Council Members beware,the good people of Charlestown elected you to represent them and to to act as a check and balance for Charlestown Government. If you are not careful,before you realize what he is doing Bob Hall will turn you all into his personal scape goats and rubber stamps. He will someday very soon try to take away your ability to reason and to make decisions based on information that you feel is morally and ethically right and replace your decisions with his preconceived dictatorial plans. Charlestown citizans and City Council Members if you don't believe what I am saying,please come to the City Council meeting and see for yourselves.

I'm making a wild guess, here. And I'm apologizing in advance that it probably isn't to the liking of the hater club. I would bet they need twice a month meetings to get things caught up in this town. The last council made good and sure that nothing positive got accomplished while they sat once a month at a table and collected a paycheck for essentially doing nothing. 

#16 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

I don't hate anyone on the council or the mayor. I don't agree with some of the things they are making resolutions for because they are making it hard for anyone to ever take exception to anything that the city wants to cite someone for. I can see this being used to get rid of people if they take a notion to. The fines were discussed tonight and the attorney said they had only used that means several times in 12 yrs....but it is a possibility. It has in one resolution that you can be cited for feeding stray cats.
One person that talked said he was afraid the city was going to get sued. The mayor said someone is always saying that but nobody ever has. I wouldn't be so sure if I was him.
Someone ask if the Redevelopment group could meet in the evenings so that the working people could attend. We will see how that flys.
Mr. Little made a small speech about people taking time to find out things for themselves instead of calling the TV stations. If anyone else was there, did he say something about money for duplexes? I did not catch the very last of what he said and it was out of context for what I thought he said
I think they are meeting twice a month because they think people will get tired of going. I don't know if they get paid by meeting or not but my real thought is that some like to hear themselves talk. Why not have a longer meeting and call it done? Some people just loves meetings. I don't think the last council did so bad. This council worries me a little for the fact they have other ties with the mayor with relatives working for the city and in the schools. Will be hard for them to think for themselves.
  • CityBoy and Old Pawpaw like this

#17 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

Riverlover,first and foremost I don't hate the Mayor,but I do hate the manor in which he disrespects the very people he was elected to represent. When citizens are only allowed to speak during the comment portion of the city council meeting and the mayor acts as a "puppet master" for the City Council by telling the them not to answer questions that the public asks directly to them. If the citizens speaking are met with silence or in Bob Hall's case smug,bulling comments,that are seemingly intended to excite his followers and to demoralize anyone who dares to question anything he does or says. All citizens deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. Riverlover if you think that Mayor Hall's accomplishments out way his rude,uncaring behavior and his total domination of the recently elected City Council, then maybe you deserve to be a member of Bob Hall's " A Team of Blind Followers" if your not already !

#18 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

Masey, the last City Council did think for themselves,(with the exception of Cathy Cash) that is the reason Bob Hall and Donna Coomer worked so feverishly to make sure Bob Hall has his hand-picked zombies in place! You were slightly mistaken in your comment where you stated it "will be hard for them to think for themselves" it will be totally impossible!

• masey likes this

#19 Boss Lady

Boss Lady

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

Can you not recall a mayor? Get him out of office?

#20 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

At a council meeting you can feel the contemp for some that choose to speak as citizens. Do not go thinking you will ask a question and get an answer because it will not happen. You can make comments and that is it. 3 mins and then they cut u off. I noticed last night that the council members didn't look out into the crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users