103 replies to this topic

#81 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

But Grammy, "better safe than sorry " is old school common sense, we all know that just doesn't fly anymore, sadly.
  • grammy likes this

#82 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

If this happened at Green Tree Mall how do you think this would be handled. Would you shop there if you didn't feel safe? Would you want your kids hanging out there? I know I use to drop mine off with a little money to eat and hang with friends. But the world has changed significantly since the early 90s

#83 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

How do you know that the majority were just hanging out and shopping?  Were you there?  I've talked with an employee who says that the correct actions were taken that night and that the situation with the teens has been escalating for awhile.  The kids hang out and may spend a few dollars but the mall will not make it if they do nothing to control this situation because it is the adults who spend the amount of money that keeps the doors open.  If the adults do not feel safe shopping there they will ultimately have to close. Teenagers have no rights to be anywhere if they cannot control their behavior.  I feel that they need to make some arrests or at least take some kids in and inconvenience the parents.  Only then will the parents give a diddly-dang about where their kids are.  It should be illegal for an a kid under the age of 15 to hop on a bus and travel across the city without a parent anyway.  

really? illegal? for a 15 y.o. to get on a bus?and go somewhere on their own? wow.

• Donna and Persona Non Grata like this

#84 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

If this happened at Green Tree Mall how do you think this would be handled. Would you shop there if you didn't feel safe? Would you want your kids hanging out there? I know I use to drop mine off with a little money to eat and hang with friends. But the world has changed significantly since the early 90s

Greentree Mall has been a hotbed of criminal activity for a very long time. My car got broken into there. My business partner was robbed and assaulted there. And there used to be a cop selling pills at the skating rink.

• grammy likes this

#85 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

I knew of a group of guys that would go to Greentree mall for the sole purpose of picking fights with random people way back in the early 80s, so this isn't a new thing obviously, and no place, mall or not, is immune from bad things happening.

I've heard several stories of people who were in mall St. Matthews at the very beginning of the ruckus, who said they got an uneasy feeling so they got out of dodge before it got ugly, and that is one key in staying safe. Listen to your gut feelings, situational awareness, a lot of people caught up in that mess were probably completely oblivious to any trouble until they were in the middle of it. I preach it to my wife and kids every chance I get, be aware of what and who is around you! I'm not sure, and I really don't think there ever was a time in history where you could just go about your business without a worry of any harm coming your way, and the world is certainly not the place to be thinking that now, but some people sure seem to throw caution to the wind, not just in the mall st matthews situation, but every day life in general.
  • karen, jiyabird, grammy and 1 other like this

#86 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

Yes. Wow. They aren't old enough to drive. They can't work without a permit. They have no business traveling across town without a parent. I think it's obvious after the incident at the mall why.

#87 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

gawd... i think we can do better, in 2016, than having cops with dogs, reminiscent of the 1960s Birmingham Alabama... yes, i think we can do better than that.
banning kids from malls though is a bit overkill seems to me.

This is not the 1960's...things have gone dramatically downhill since those days...and guess what...same people causing the problems! Yeah, we have come a LONG way!
Officers with well trained K9's are a wonderful deterrent for bad situations. The dogs are not turned loose on their own and are only placed on the force...as officers in their own right...after years of rigorous training and proving they can follow commands and always with their handlers whom they love , respect and will lay down their lives to protect.
You speak as if these are savage, uncontrollable jungle beasts.
Some punishment needs to come from the actions of Saturday night , to teach a lesson. Since no arrests were made, restricting the use of the mall as a day care center for unsupervised brats seems like a good idea.

Edited by jiyabird, 01 January 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#88 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

Yes. Wow. They aren't old enough to drive. They can't work without a permit. They have no business traveling across town without a parent. I think it's obvious after the incident at the mall why.

Fortunately it is highly unlikely that such a ridiculous law would ever get passed. Teens have been using public transportation for generations.

#89 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

How do you know that the majority were just hanging out and shopping?  Were you there?  I've talked with an employee who says that the correct actions were taken that night and that the situation with the teens has been escalating for awhile.  The kids hang out and may spend a few dollars but the mall will not make it if they do nothing to control this situation because it is the adults who spend the amount of money that keeps the doors open.  If the adults do not feel safe shopping there they will ultimately have to close. Teenagers have no rights to be anywhere if they cannot control their behavior.  I feel that they need to make some arrests or at least take some kids in and inconvenience the parents.  Only then will the parents give a diddly-dang about where their kids are.  It should be illegal for an a kid under the age of 15 to hop on a bus and travel across the city without a parent anyway.

Karen, I agree with everything you say except for the last sentence.
I am sure there are many resposible, mature kids who are 15 or younger who need to take the bus for jobs, school, babysitting, shopping or visiting friends and family.
The key word here is 'responsible'.
We can't lump all of them into a basket as bad apples...some of them try very hard to rise above their surroundings and what in life is attempting to pull them down. Many, many succeed and become great leaders and set high standards for future generations to follow.
For the weak ones, I feel sorry, they are doomed from the get go by parentage, society and peers. No amount of playgrounds, community centers, malls, afterschool activities or social programs will ever be enough to put them on the right path of life.
Would be interesting if one could peer into the past and future and see the way some of these kids not only started out but end up.

#90 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

Greentree Mall has been a hotbed of criminal activity for a very long time. My car got broken into there. My business partner was robbed and assaulted there. And there used to be a cop selling pills at the skating rink.

My goodness, been going there since it opened and have never had a really bad experience....but not saying it does not happen....have heard of robberies, car jackings, thefts.
The closest I came was back in the '70's some weirdo came up to me and started telling me about how much he loved the well worn Levi shirt I had on. I was about 28 at the time. He kept following me and trying to get me to talk to him.
Even though I carried a gun then I really got spooked and left the mall.
Not sure what he had planned but I am pretty sure it wasn't good.
I always am observant as to who is close to me when walking out to and getting in my car and at night I usually have my gun in my pocket and then on the seat til I am locked in.
Be sure and check your back seat before you get in.
I had two friends raped after leaving the Garage Club when they failed to check their backseat and got in the car and three black guys came up with guns.

#91 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

But Grammy, "better safe than sorry " is old school common sense, we all know that just doesn't fly anymore, sadly.

No disrespect, but what makes more sense than "Better safe than sorry"? What else can you be other than prepared to fight?

#92 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Heard two people in Louisville leaving a store the other day and as they were saying goodbye one told the other "Stay away from the St. Matthews Mall." The other said "Oh, don't worry, I don't ever plan to shop there again." Sad.

#93 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

No disrespect, but what makes more sense than "Better safe than sorry"? What else can you be other than prepared to fight?

Yeah, that was sarcasm, not at grammy or anyone in particular.

#94 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, that was sarcasm, not at grammy or anyone in particular.

Sorry. Scarcasm is hard to detect in the written word, for me anyway. My mistake.
  • littletommy likes this

#95 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

Something no one is talking about is the role that social media is playing in this. This is not the 70's, 80's or 90's. We are living in a time where kids can get the message out to congregate in one spot in a split second. Kids left on their own with the ability to travel at will is part of this problem.
  • grammy likes this

#96 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:07 AM

My lovely 18 year old daughter went to Mall St. Matthews looking for a swimsuit.  She was scolded for not having a parent with her.  Security carded her, she's 18, an adult, and she's shopping . . . but not at Mall St. Matthews ever again! 

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#97 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

Donna,

It sounds as if security did their job.

How would they know if she was 18 without asking for an ID?

• grammy likes this

#98 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:15 AM

Donna,
It sounds as if security did their job.
How would they know if she was 18 without asking for an ID?

I'd have told them to go pound sand...

#99 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

I'd have told them to go pound sand...

And they would have asked you to leave.

The Mall is private property.

Their property, their rules.

Personally, I would blame the heathens that caused the rules to be put in place.

• Beading Lady likes this

#100 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

And they would have asked you to leave.
The Mall is private property.
Their property, their rules.

Personally, I would blame the heathens that caused the rules to be put in place.

Nah... It's a control thing. They should use the rule if they see a problem. This was just one of those peeps that enjoys power over others...
  • kelley and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users