103 replies to this topic

#41 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

With the exception of the wife's not being gay (to my knowledge), how much of that has been gender dependent, and, if it is gender dependent, what are you implying about same-sex couples with children? Are they automatically at a disadvantage?

Beats me. In my house the boys learn the boy stuff from me and the girls learn the girl stuff from her. I don't know how it works in other houses. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

• littletommy likes this

#42 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

With the exception of the wife's not being gay (to my knowledge), how much of that has been gender dependent, and, if it is gender dependent, what are you implying about same-sex couples with children? Are they automatically at a disadvantage? 

My point also.

#43 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

Beats me. In my house the boys learn the boy stuff from me and the girls learn the girl stuff from her. I don't know how it works in other houses. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

I don't know whether you're wrong, but I do know you'd upset some feminists, LGBT activists, folks that reject gender roles, etc, with that position, and I have no clue what gender and gender roles would have to do with the mall incident. Photos I saw looked to have males and females involved. For the record, those photos also showed the kids were not all of the same race, nor did they appear especially poor. First-hand accounts from parents show they didn't all arrive on buses or from other parts of town either.

The common theme was that they were young. The facts are there were few injuries (and there's lack of evidence the injuries were from kids acting up in the first place rather than running from security guards and cops), no major property damage occurred and the only videos show kids present, running, leaving, etc., but not committing crimes.

#44 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

And, really, other than how to pee, what exactly is the boy stuff and girl stuff they needed to be taught?
  • TLIES and Donna like this

#45 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

I remember my parents at report card time. We didn't get in any trouble for report card grades if it at least showed effort . A conduct grade was a completely different story. I know there are some really good hardworking teens out here. I just will never understand the mentality of the few troublemaking ones. The black on black murders in Louisville is a citywide community problem. I just can't comprehend the dispair of why these young people feel there is no other way to live. I understand a lot of businesses are not set up in those areas but as Sat. Night proves Tarc runs all over the city so if a person can jump on a bus to shop there isn't an excuse why those same one can't hop on a bus and work out in these locations. Every generation has been bored , hell I still get that way, and I did some dumb stuff but never at the cost of hurting another person. Every generation has wanted more for their children than what they had growing up. And my generation has failed . The children didn't need more stuff they needed us. I missed ball games and plays etc because I had to maintain what I was told was the American dream. And now looking back all my children needed was my time and attention . Pray hard for these children that this all doesn't boil into a violent outcome at some point. I'm afraid that is where we are headed.
  • karen and Persona Non Grata like this

#46 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

I don't know whether you're wrong, but I do know you'd upset some feminists, LGBT activists, folks that reject gender roles, etc, with that position, and I have no clue what gender and gender roles would have to do with the mall incident.

Well here is where it came up...

I shudder to think what my father would have done to me if he got called telling him that I was involved in something like this disrespectful NONSENSE. Each of these 'children' (not!) should be raised by a father in US Army Special Forces like I was. We polished his brass, ironed his fatigues and had dinner on the table...

Upon reading it again I see that there is no indication that iRescue wasn't raised by a single father. So I apologize for jumping to conclusions and do hereby rescind everything I said about a hetero, two parent home being a positive element in the raising of children. If that's my opinion, I'll just keep it to myself.

And, really, other than how to pee, what exactly is the boy stuff and girl stuff they needed to be taught?

I knew that was coming. Give us a pumpkin and give them a pumpkin. She'll teach them to make a pie out of it. I'll teach them how to blow it up with an M-80. Maybe that isn't a gender specific thing, because the boys are good cooks too but the girls don't share our enthusiasm for pyrotechnics. But thinking of it as such helps me wrap my head around it. My most relevant point of reference is my own family and our track record.

#47 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

same-sex couples with children? Are they automatically at a disadvantage?

Commonsense says yes.

#48 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

I knew that was coming.

But thinking of it as such helps me wrap my head around it. My most relevant point of reference is my own family and our track record.

Good, and correct.

My kids would get a helluva laugh out of the very idea I'd teach any of them how to make a pumpkin pie. Step one may be to remove the dust bunnies from the oven, but that's just a guess. The best, most appreciated pies we get all year come from our neighbor, a great guy.

#49 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Commonsense says yes.

Commonsense gets this from where? The peeing thing?

#50 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Commonsense gets this from where? The peeing thing?

Two adults of the same gender would have a smaller skill set to teach from.

Add in the awkwardness of a family that many in society do not accept, it is sure to put the youth at a disadvantage.

Common sense......

#51 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

My opinion is children from same sex couples would have a better advantage than the ones from poverty stricken homes without parental guidance. They are wanted . Truly wanted .
  • kelley, karen and Donna like this

#52 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

I could be wrong, but I have to think that some cops with nightsticks and German shepherd dogs might take the fun out of these activities and prevent recurrences.

• TLIES and woo like this

#53 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

What activities were being engaged in that would make dogs and nightsticks appropriate?

The worst specific allegation has been a few fights. Many, if not most, perfectly healthy and normal kids get in some kind of scuffle before adulthood. The appropriate response is to have agents of the state beat and terrorize them? Surely there are other options.

Edited by kelley, 31 December 2015 - 02:45 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, Debbie and 2 others like this

#54 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

I could be wrong, but I have to think that some cops with nightsticks and German shepherd dogs might take the fun out of these activities and prevent recurrences.

There were no injuries or damage reported. I could be wrong too but I have to think your solution would make the situation worse.

#55 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

I had a very stable childhood, was taught right from wrong, to respect others and so on and so on, then my dad died on my 13th birthday. I can say with great confidence that my teenage years would have been light years different if my dad would have lived to keep me in line. I loved my mom, the last thing I wanted to do was cause her any heartache, but I went pretty wild in my teens. Not saying all kids would choose the path I did in my younger years, just that I did because nobody was there to put a boot in my donkey.
  • kelley and Persona Non Grata like this

#56 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

There were no injuries or damage reported.

It depends on who you talk to.....

http://www.wdrb.com/...-media-creation

"Nobody was hurt. Nobody stole anything. There was no damage to the property. I regret that any incident happened, but for the media to blow it up like the world's coming to an end at the mall, I think is reflective of what we see in  this 24-7 media cycle that we're in right now," Fischer told WDRB.

But St. Matthews Police say there was damage, and WDRB spoke with a mother whose 16-year-old son was injured in the incident.

#57 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

It depends on who you talk to.....

http://www.wdrb.com/...-media-creation

"Nobody was hurt. Nobody stole anything. There was no damage to the property. I regret that any incident happened, but for the media to blow it up like the world's coming to an end at the mall, I think is reflective of what we see in  this 24-7 media cycle that we're in right now," Fischer told WDRB.

But St. Matthews Police say there was damage, and WDRB spoke with a mother whose 16-year-old son was injured in the incident.

What kind of damage? How was the 16-year-old injured? Is it possible that he was one of the trouble makers? You're kind of fuzzy on the details. I'm not entirely convinced that sending in the storm troopers to crack a few skulls is necessarily the best solution.

#58 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

How was the 16-year-old injured? Is it possible that he was one of the trouble makers?

http://www.wdrb.com/...idnt-see-my-son

We heard people screaming. We look up, we see people running toward us,” Young said. “People were pushing, running, on top of us. We had no control of ourselves. I ended up on the jewelry store floor at Zale’s. I looked over and didn’t see my son and I became hysterical.”

Young said the 16-year-old had been pushed face-first into a store’s front glass. He suffered a swollen nose, a cut jaw, and his front teeth were pushed back.

Edited by woo, 31 December 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#59 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

http://www.wdrb.com/...idnt-see-my-son

We heard people screaming. We look up, we see people running toward us,” Young said. “People were pushing, running, on top of us. We had no control of ourselves. I ended up on the jewelry store floor at Zale’s. I looked over and didn’t see my son and I became hysterical.”
Young said the 16-year-old had been pushed face-first into a store’s front glass. He suffered a swollen nose, a cut jaw, and his front teeth were pushed back.

Pushed by who? The kids or panicked shoppers? I've heard it was overblown. But like you said, it depends on who you ask. Either way, I'm still not convinced that cops beating people up would have helped matters any.

#60 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

It's unclear why people were running.

Were these just wild kids running causing havoc? Were people running from scary kids? Or were people running because an overkill security response caused a panic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users