103 replies to this topic

#1 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

Embarrassed, shocked, scared, outraged and angered by what occurred at the mall Saturday night.
Embarrassed that the nation, the world sees our area portrayed like this...thought we were better for some reason...don't know why.
Shocked that it happed so close to home....don't know why.
Scared, for obvious reasons, how would you defend yourself in a situation like this with so many half crazed idiots running all over the place had it gotten more violent?
Outraged, because something more was not done...no arrests, media coverup as to the leaders, instigators...there had to be leaders...people follow leaders. This BS of "Oh they were just kids looking, needing something to do." Yeah, they did something alright, terrorized hundreds of innocent, law abiding citizens, minding their own business,out with their families on a peaceful Saturday night! NO EXCUSE, NO EXCUSE whatsoever!
Angered, what gave these kids the right to think they could do something like this and get away with it? One thing was the wilding a couple of years ago...got away with that, didn't they?
Google riot. Louisville.Ky and read the comments, many from people who were there. You will get a better picture of what went on.
Many are blaming it on affluent kids from privileged homes, I don't think so.
Ignorant Mayor of St. Matthews: " What are we going to arrest them for, running around the place?" Pleazzzze!

Edited by jiyabird, 28 December 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:34 PM

Many are blaming it on affluent kids from privileged homes, I don't think so.

So what DO you think and why?

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 28 December 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#3 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

The fact that they had to call for extra Tarc buses to take the kids home shows that a lot of them did not have their own transportation and were not from that area. They should have arrested as many as possible and put them on probation. Make their parents have to give up time and money for fines. Maybe they will want to keep tabs on their kids then. Wasn't there a lawsuit after the arrests from the downtown riots a few years ago?

#4 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

Disorderly Conduct

In Kentucky, the crime of disorderly conduct is committed by:

fighting
engaging in violent or threatening behavior
making excessive noise
refusing to obey an official order to disperse from a fire, emergency, or other hazard, or
creating an offensive or dangerous condition without good reason.
In order to be convicted of disorderly conduct, the defendant must act with the intent to cause public inconvenience or annoyance in a public place. For example, strewing garbage in a public park could be considered creating an offensive condition and could result in a charge of disorderly conduct. It is also a crime to fail to follow a police officer’s order to disperse when committing disorderly conduct with two or more people.

(Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 525.060, 525.145, 525.160.)
  • jiyabird likes this

#5 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

The fact that they had to call for extra Tarc buses to take the kids home shows that a lot of them did not have their own transportation and were not from that area. They should have arrested as many as possible and put them on probation. Make their parents have to give up time and money for fines. Maybe they will want to keep tabs on their kids then. Wasn't there a lawsuit after the arrests from the downtown riots a few years ago?

Yes there was and a black family was awarded well over a million for mistaken Identification.
My understanding, from the report I originally read this morning was the buses took the majority of the teenagers back to the West end.
I believe they said more info will be reported at 11 on WHAS and a news conference on Wednesday.
I know it would have been impossible for all to have been arrested but it seems as if the agitators could have been readily identified.
I cannot agree with the St. Matthews mayor...this was disturbing the peace, inciting a riot, public endangerment, terrorization, all misdemeanors.
When first reported it cited looting and breaking of glass...who knows, that could have been excited reporting or perhaps covered up by now.
Now, apparently an attorney is weighing in on what happened...wonder if she was there?
Won't be long before the 'Reverends' show up.
I am sure it was not one race in particular but the media should clarify the situation rather than let people speculate...perhaps they will as more info comes in and they sort the rumours from the truth.
Just glad I was not there.

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:53 AM

One perspective:

http://www.courier-j...-mall/77976600/

#7 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:24 AM

If I've told them once, I've told them a thousand times.....GET OFF MY LAWN!

#8 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for posting the link Kelley. I find it hard to believe that there was no cause for alarm.
Adults and police officers were obviously uneasy with what was going on. If nothing had been done and someone got
hurt there would be hell to pay. Good call from the authorities. Shut it down before it escalated.
The mall does need to put some rules in place for unsupervised kids. They make their money from adult shoppers like myself who will
not be shopping there anytime soon. The Mall of America has done it so can Mall St Matthews.

Edited by karen, 29 December 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#9 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

Recording of the police radio traffic for the incident.

http://www.mnpolicec...le-ky-1226.html

• jiyabird and Persona Non Grata like this

#10 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

According to eyewitnesses, however, whatever inspired mall administrators and police to close the mall in the first place led to a veritable stampede for the exits, which resulted in confusion, yelling and panic. Nevertheless, no actual injuries, damage, or arrests were reported.

http://insiderlouisv...fear-riot-mall/

• kelley and Donna like this

#11 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

#12 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

One perspective:
http://www.courier-j...-mall/77976600/

Kelly, wish I could read the link you took the time and trouble to post. I am sure it was informative but it will not let me without a subscription.

#13 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

Recording of the police radio traffic for the incident.
http://www.mnpolicec...le-ky-1226.html

Thanks for sharing. So interesting. Makes me long for the days when I was a police dispatcher, one of the most exciting jobs ever.

#14 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

Kelly, wish I could read the link you took the time and trouble to post. I am sure it was informative but it will not let me without a subscription.

Sorry. Not sure what's up with that since I don't have a subscription either.

#15 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

seems like the police escalated this by calling it a riot and that was repeated by the media. riots usually have injuries, property damage and looting... none of which i've seen.

#16 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

There is at least one story about injuries. However, the narrative I read sounded as likely the injuries were a result of everyone being told to leave, shops closing, etc.

#17 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

I had a family member there with her small daughter shopping. She said around 6pm she started to get a very uneasy feeling and headed straight to a checkout and left. She described the atmosphere as becoming rough.

#18 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

It is time to quit being Politically Correct and put some discipline back in society. 

It is a downfall that has been caused by not teaching respect and manners.

I understand that we need to hold our law enforcement accountable, but we also need to let them do their job.

They are afraid to do anything anymore because of the threatened retaliation.  

It is sad that those that act up are the ones that have their rights protected.  The rest of us have to cowl down to their actions.

• Beading Lady, jiyabird and iRescue like this

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

It is time to quit being Politically Correct and put some discipline back in society.
I understand that we need to hold our law enforcement accountable, but we also need to let them do their job.
It is sad that those that act up are the ones that have their rights protected. The rest of us have to cowl down to their actions.

Who has to cowl down to what actions?

What does political correctness have to do with this particular situation?

Which rights of the rest of us were not protected?

#20 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

It is sad that those that act up are the ones that have their rights protected.  The rest of us have to cowl down to their actions.

Amen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users