12 replies to this topic

#1 Huston

Huston

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

Just wanted to give a big shout out to the city. We went to the Christmas display Saturday evening and it was spectacular. Of course this was after we ate in town. It was a huge turnout on Saturday but the police did a fine job of directing traffic and everything went very smoothly. And the kids had a blast.

Well done Charlestown!

• Persona Non Grata and Dougie like this

#2 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

Yes Huston, it is a great display and the city does an outstanding job. From my perspective, it is the pride of Southern Indiana.
  • Dougie likes this

#3 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

Oh yes, let's pat ourselves on our backs and feel good while our town had more children in need this Christmas and drugs are running rampant. Don't mean to be a downer but Christmas is more than the lights.

#4 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

The money being spent on Christmas decorations could be better spent.  Kids are walking to and from school on Monroe St. because the mayor won't build sidewalks there.  Yet he builds sidewalks elsewhere in the city, and has even paved some alleys.  

#5 Buckeye

Buckeye

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

It's a shame someone can't give a CHEERS without someone coming behind them and turning it into a negative.

• ctownmom and Dougie like this

#6 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Not trying to tear anyone or anything down because I do like the lights.....there is just a point to know when enough is enough. A little comman sence needs to take over. This may be a draw for the restaurants but I don't know. The electric bill has to be horrible but the residents never get the full story and that upsets a lot of people.
I worry about some of the young people of our city and I know it is not up to the city to entertain them but right now there is not anything I can think of that is a draw for young people. Yes we have skating and putt putt but if you have a kid that is in trouble that is not where they are going to be. The skate park is great for some. I know there is a problem and kids are falling through the cracks. If a person is getting out of high school he or she may be excepted into a school but lots of them do not go. Somehow we have to instill a drive into some of the kids that people don't pay much attention to.

City Boy--I really dought if parents would let their kids walk along Monroe to school. It does need sidewalks tho because I see high school and others walking on the street. I have wondered about the alleys. Wished ours looked like the one between Water and Thompson. Did one of the residents pay for it?

Buckeye---not trying to turn lights into a negative, but not going to pretend everything is ok either. Our administration has a way of not liking to hear anything that might not be exactly as they think. I am not against anyone.

#7 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

Not trying to tear anyone or anything down because I do like the lights.....there is just a point to know when enough is enough. A little comman sence needs to take over. This may be a draw for the restaurants but I don't know. The electric bill has to be horrible but the residents never get the full story and that upsets a lot of people.
I worry about some of the young people of our city and I know it is not up to the city to entertain them but right now there is not anything I can think of that is a draw for young people. Yes we have skating and putt putt but if you have a kid that is in trouble that is not where they are going to be. The skate park is great for some. I know there is a problem and kids are falling through the cracks. If a person is getting out of high school he or she may be excepted into a school but lots of them do not go. Somehow we have to instill a drive into some of the kids that people don't pay much attention to.

City Boy--I really dought if parents would let their kids walk along Monroe to school. It does need sidewalks tho because I see high school and others walking on the street. I have wondered about the alleys. Wished ours looked like the one between Water and Thompson. Did one of the residents pay for it?

Buckeye---not trying to turn lights into a negative, but not going to pretend everything is ok either. Our administration has a way of not liking to hear anything that might not be exactly as they think. I am not against anyone.

No offence but you may want to use spell check.  Merry Christmas.   :santa:

#8 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

Spelling is not my strong point especially on a small screen but being kind is. You have a great Merry Christmas to Big Bopper.

#9 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

No offence but you may want to use spell check.  Merry Christmas.   :santa:

Hey... we don't do grammar and spelling police work here... so, please just don't...
  • GrumpyGranny, ctownmom, Debbie and 3 others like this

#10 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

It's a shame someone can't give a CHEERS without someone coming behind them and turning it into a negative.

This is a common issue when government funds are used as funding for a given project. Since everyone is forced to fund government, everyone naturally wants a say in where the money goes.

When there were lights at Graceland (at least I don't think they do that anymore do they?), the funding was voluntary. No one in the city of New Albany was forced to pay for it through taxation. So although they may have had critics for one reason or another, it was not due to people being forced to pay for it.

• CityBoy and apirateatheart like this

#11 Riverlover

Riverlover

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

I'm curious now. How did New Albany pay for their lights?

#12 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

I'm curious now. How did New Albany pay for their lights?

That's my point. It wasn't the city of New Albany. The lights I'm talking about were at Graceland church. Used to be quite a setup and people would drive through their place to look at them.

#13 Riverlover

Riverlover

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

That's my point. It wasn't the city of New Albany. The lights I'm talking about were at Graceland church. Used to be quite a setup and people would drive through their place to look at them.

Well, Christmas week has me a little frazzled, stressed, and exhausted. I was reading two different places, LOL. City of New Albany and Graceland ... the home of Elvis. My bad! 

• Debbie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users