56 replies to this topic

#1 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

Last night, in another thread I made the following obsevation...

Speaking of statistics, here is an interesting one...

In 2015, in the U.S. a toddler shoots either themself or someone else at a rate of once per week.

As of October, 13 children under the age of 3 had accidently(?) killed themselves with a firearm, 18 more had injured themselves, 10 injured someone else, and 2 killed someone else.

Just something to think about.

Not wanting to take that thread too far off topic I thought I would present this week's incident here...

Around 8:15 a.m. Friday, emergency crews responded to the report of a shooting in the 100 block of East Avenue B in South Hutchinson.
Reno County Sheriff Randy Henderson said three-year-old Kaden Nagel found a loaded 40 caliber handgun in the home. The boy's father, Deputy Andrew Nagel, was in another room when he heard a gunshot.
Nagel rushed to find his son with a gunshot wound and administered first aid until EMS arrived, Henderson said.
Kaden was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.kake.com/...-361615141.html

Please sent up thoughts and prayers for this family.

• GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#2 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

Yep, no responsible gun owner leaves a loaded firearm laying around where a small child can get it. Hopefully, that guy pays severely.

What was your point, though? You wanna ban firearms for everyone because there are dumbasses in the world?
  • grammy likes this

#3 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

So, Trump is correct according to your reasoning? We should ban all muslims from the US because of the actions of a few?

#4 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Yep, no responsible gun owner leaves a loaded firearm laying around where a small child can get it. Hopefully, that guy pays severely.
What was your point, though? You wanna ban firearms for everyone because there are dumbasses in the world?

So, Trump is correct according to your reasoning? We should ban all muslims from the US because of the actions of a few?

That's "MY reasoning"???

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

I would think that a deputy, by virtue of training, would be a responsible gun owner.  I believe that dad is already paying severely with the loss of his child.

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:13 AM

I would think that a deputy, by virtue of training, would be a responsible gun owner.  I believe that dad is already paying severely with the loss of his child.

Uhhh......?....... :logik:

Clik the link........an' READ a lil' closer 'is time........... :whistle:

• Quasar and woo like this

#7 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Uhhh......?....... :logik:

Clik the link........an' READ a lil' closer 'is time........... :whistle:

Uhhh.... :ike: 

I believe what she is saying :purple: is that most people :turned:

would think :brr:  that a deputy sheriff, of all people,

:hairy: would be a responsible gun owner :rimshot:

Obviously this giy wasn't. :group-hug2-smiley: 

• Donna likes this

#8 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

Uhhh.... :ike:

I believe what she is saying :purple: is that most people :turned:

would think :brr:  that a deputy sheriff, of all people,

:hairy: would be a responsible gun owner :rimshot:

Obviously this giy wasn't. :group-hug2-smiley: 

:logik: .....uhhh......?

IF......I can comp'rehend the story......an' at's a stretch, i know.... :rolleyes:

It WERE'nt the Deputy's gun?...... :shrug:  

Belong'd ta the dude live'n 'ere WITH'im......

Edited by Bikerdude, 13 December 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#9 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

You're right. The story had been updated since I posted the link. That does not however invalidate the fact that in the United States of America a toddler aged 3 or under gets ahold of a gun and shoots either themselves or someone else an average of once per week. Regardless of who's gun it was, if one of MY kids gets ahold of a loaded gun in MY house and shoots themselves or someone else with it, that's on ME.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 13 December 2015 - 09:26 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#10 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

Home swimming pools are responsible for more deaths per year (Children ages 1-4) than any other source.

(Except congenital anomalies, birth defects)

http://www.cdc.gov/H...-factsheet.html

Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2  Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1

It's high time we we banned private pools.

While we are at it, cars comes in at number two.

If we are really to make a difference, we need to ban cars also.

• kelley likes this

#11 grammy

grammy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

It still all boils down to irresponsible parents. I've known several children who were injured by the pod laundry detergents. They should be banned also or should parents just keep them out of reach?
  • woo and Russell Brooksbank like this

#12 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

That's "MY reasoning"???

Oh it's absolutely your reasoning. I've seen you and a few others here berate posters for making what you perceive as negative comments about groups of people, muslims, gays, liberals.......but then a gun thread pops up, and your all over it to try and paint all gun owners as incompetent fools. I've even seen you post that YOU have carried a firearm for years, yet you won't miss an opportunity to get on here and disparage ALL gun owners. Your broad brush is very confusing, and may even lead one to believe that you think YOU are capable of safely owning firearms, but no one else is. So, is that it?

#13 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Oh it's absolutely your reasoning. I've seen you and a few others here berate posters for making what you perceive as negative comments about groups of people, muslims, gays, liberals.......but then a gun thread pops up, and your all over it to try and paint all gun owners as incompetent fools. I've even seen you post that YOU have carried a firearm for years, yet you won't miss an opportunity to get on here and disparage ALL gun owners. Your broad brush is very confusing, and may even lead one to believe that you think YOU are capable of safely owning firearms, but no one else is. So, is that it?

Ok Einstein, suppose you show us one time where I "disparage all gun owners". But before you hijack this thread and try to make it all about me, let me reiterate what it really is all about...in the United States of America a toddler, aged 3 or under gets a gun and shoots either themselves or someone else with it on an average of once a week.
  • Donna likes this

#14 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

Why do you people insist on doing this? I never one time have proposed a ban on guns. I'm NOT anti-gun. There are plenty of people who are. Go pick on them and stop putting words in my mouth.

#15 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

Home swimming pools are responsible for more deaths per year (Children ages 1-4) than any other source.
(Except congenital anomalies, birth defects)
http://www.cdc.gov/H...-factsheet.html

Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2  Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1

And Kelley, I can't believe you are buying into this crap. All I am doing is stating a FACT. No editorializing. No snarky remarks. Just putting a FACT out there for people to consider. I don't understand why I am drawing so much heat for doing so, even from some of the Chatter's more reasonable participants such as yourself.

#16 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

And Kelley, I can't believe you are buying into this crap.

So you start a discussion on toddler deaths, and when I post the leading cause of them my post is crap?

Why start a thread if discussion is not allowed?

Time to let you just talk with yourself, have a good afternoon......

#17 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

And Kelley, I can't believe you are buying into this crap. All I am doing is stating a FACT. No editorializing. No snarky remarks. Just putting a FACT out there for people to consider. I don't understand why I am drawing so much heat for doing so, even from some of the Chatter's more reasonable participants such as yourself.

I think his points are relevant to the gun debate, including the risk to toddlers, and important for perspective in the same way I think the stats on other risks are relevant to the discussion to allowing Syrian immigration. Lots of things are risky, but those risks don't necessarily support a new restriction on freedoms.

Stuff happens. Some of it is awful. Trying to tell your fellow humans what they can and can't do because of the awful stuff is probably a bad idea and certainly won't prevent more awful stuff from happening. That's as reasonable as I got.

Edited to add: so I review the thread, I see you're not specifically going anywhere as far as the debate on gun control. Just posting that it happened and offering prayers. Ok. It still, fairly or not, turned into a discussion on gun control, and I think woo's points were salient. Sorry your thread got hijacked and for your having words put in your mouth.

Edited by kelley, 13 December 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#18 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

So you start a discussion on toddler deaths, and when I post the leading cause of them my post is crap?

Why start a thread if discussion is not allowed?

Time to let you just talk with yourself, have a good afternoon......

Who said anything about BANNING anything? Besides you and Little Tommy I mean.

#19 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:41 AM

Trying to tell your fellow humans what they can and can't do because of the awful stuff is probably a bad idea and certainly won't prevent more awful stuff from happening.

Is that what I'm doing? Maybe you should reread my post. People need to be aware of the consequences of their decisions. All I'm doing is pointing one out.

#20 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

Is that what I'm doing? Maybe you should reread my post. People need to be aware of the consequences of their decisions. All I'm doing is pointing one out.

We were typing at the same time. See edited post.

Edited by kelley, 13 December 2015 - 10:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users