#21 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

Oops, I forgot:

David Reinhardt is the Clark County Treasurer and is Republican as well.

#22 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

Integrity Matters, you are very correct and thorough.

I moved my post to a new thread to get that discussion

out of your city council  excess spending thread.

The abolition of the city court and the crazy soccer gig spending,

and other abuses, have been very well exposed by your intelligent research

and very detailed posts. I did not mean to get into your way!

My thoughts were focused upon a discussion of the overall political party trends.

You were specifically exposing another spending problem

that has been ignored. Stay after them !

I wish that you would run for office. You are quite a watchdog.

The Clark County Council will see three at-large politicos elected next year.

It is a good place to start.

Edited by Savile Row, 10 January 2016 - 10:55 PM.

#23 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

Is it coincidence that Democrats started local domination during the public outcry against Republican leadership in 1972? Watergate, and the Vietnam War were in the news every day!.
Now it's Obama and Hillorygate's turn. I think credit for local Republican wins mirror changes of the 70's.
SR is right, that it will take years for it to come back.
Hopefully someone will get on the agenda at the council meeting to fuss about I'M's excellent points!

Edited by Kevin Vissing, 11 January 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#24 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

I will only be happy when this "new" Republican leadership actually makes some changes that benefit the taxpayers rather continue on the old ways of "greed". They can start by discontinuing health/dental and vision insurance for Council members! Will they do it? Or will they continue to feed themselves and their families at the expense of the taxpayers?

It's pretty clear you hate the city council. Make a stand run for office I'm sure it's not all rainbows and gum drops. It takes a big set of kohonas to run for office.

#25 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

It's pretty clear you hate the city council. Make a stand run for office I'm sure it's not all rainbows and gum drops. It takes a big set of kohonas to run for office.

No -- I don't "hate" the city council.   I hate the waste of taxpayer dollars. 

• grammy likes this

#26 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Just think......if IM's figures are correct, the city council's benefit package cost taxpayers $150,000 per year! Wouldn't it be great if that money was put towards our homeless issues, and help the Haven House.
Think about this......if an employer for these council members offers health insurance, and instead they have the taxpayers pay it, that is incredibly insulting.
I challenge the City Council to eliminate the benefits, and give half to help the homeless, and give the other half back to your budget to pay bills for the city.

#27 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

Breakfast Club Concerns

The new, fancy indoor soccer building is to cost $2,000,000.
It is wildly excessive and unreasonable spending
by the outgoing council at the last minute
in a "lame duck" play.

The current soccer fields are exceptional
and already serve those needs
very adequately.

The case load of the very important

55 year old city court was manipulated to artificially reduce

the cases handled, thus reducing the revenues generated and negatively

impacting the programs that had been beneficial
for almost six decades

The $2,000,000 extra spending
for the expensive, excessive indoor soccer activities
would have funded the essential city court,
even with a manipulated downward
case load, for 20 years.

Priority of Needs

The new city council
needs to examine the  priorities
of their spending of taxpayers scarce funds.

:yes: :thumbsup:

Edited by Savile Row, 13 January 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#28 hillbilly highway

hillbilly highway

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

For comparison purposes, the Clark County Council, and Commissioners cannot take county insurance. We removed that perk since I've been on the Council. We have not opted for a raise since I have been on the council since 2008. The previous council had increased pay right before I came on.
I agree with IM, that part time should not receive Health Insurance.

Mr Vissing correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the county council have a retirement plan for the council members. If this is the case wouldn't it be the pot calling the kettle black?

Edited by hillbilly highway, 13 January 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#29 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

We pay into Perf 3%. Also it takes 10 years to be vested. Most councilmen leave before then. To receive back maybe $60 dollars per month (estimated). That's a far cry from city council perks. We also pay for rooms and sign up fees for any training. Nothing in the budget for that.

If I'm re-elected, I promise to vote NO for any raises on our pay! So it would be 12 years no pay increase.

Edited by Kevin Vissing, 13 January 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#30 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

The City offers 2 health plans to its employees -- a PPO plan and an HDHP plan.   The PPO family plan costs the City (taxpayers) $1444.08 per month; the HDHP plan costs $1820.51 per month.   Adding dental and vision to that cost and the taxpayers pay either $1528.44 a month if the councilman selects the PPO option or $1904.87 if they select HDHP.

This means that we, the taxpayers, are paying roughly $20,000 per year for each councilman who takes the family insurance -- 7 of them do.  One of them takes the single plan (approx. $9100 per year).  

AGAIN, for the next 4 years, the taxpayers will be paying well over $600,000 to provide health/dental/vision insurance to 8 councilmen.

This is in addition to their annual salary of $15,000 per year ($17,000 for the president) --- for the next 4 years the salaries alone will cost the taxpayers $548,000.   Total cost to the taxpayers for the next 4 years ---   over $1,148,000

And ALL but one of the councilmen/women have FULL-TIME jobs.    Serving on the City council is NOT their full-time job.   It is NOT the primary source of income for them or their families.   Why should these councilmen/women expect the taxpayers to provide them with health insurance?  WHY?   I am certain that the councilmen/women had insurance through their employers or perhaps their spouses' employer.  Yet, they apparently dropped that insurance in order to let the taxpayers provide it for them!   That is shameful.   Is this why they ran for office?  Is this fiscal responsibility?

I have asked this question repeatedly to all 9 councilmen/women.   I have had NO response from several of them.  A few who have responded have offered NO reason why they deserve this lucrative perk other than "other Councils do it" or it's "allowed by law".

One Councilman responded but not to discuss my question at all --- his response was as follows:

"You have used my private email address, for a statement related to my City Council position.   This is a formal notice to cease and desist use of my private email address.

I responded to this councilman and informed him that the email address I used was the one listed for him on the City's website!!!    However, he has yet to apologize to me for his ridiculous "cease and desist" comments.

I am not holding my breath that the Council will do the right thing and eliminate insurance benefits for themselves.  But I will be the first to applaud them if they do.   One council  member told me that her constituents were aware of the "incentives" for serving on the Council and had no problem with it.   However, I believe that most taxpayers are NOT aware of the perks and are definitely NOT aware of how much they are costing us.  I honestly doubt that the Council members themselves have put pen to paper to determine how much this is costing the taxpayers.   NOW they know.   The question is, what will they do?

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 15 January 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#31 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

The cease and desist thing is a hoot. Doesn't say a lot for their willingness to engage the citizens.
  • IntegrityMatters, Quasar, snowman and 2 others like this

#32 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

Kelley, they definitely don't want to engage the citizens when it might affect their own pocketbook.   Not a single councilman has told me WHY they think this is an acceptable practice.  Heck, most of them haven't even responded to my question.  

Why should the taxpayers pay for health, dental, and vision insurance for 9 people -- all but 1 of whom has a FULL TIME regular job.  Being on the Council is a part-time job --- the City does not give insurance benefits to employees who work less than 30 hours a week (part-time), but the Council thinks they are  "special".   They not only get a salary of $15,000 a year; but they get compensation in the form of health insurance to the tune of an additional $20,000+ per year for the 7 who take family coverage.     This needs to STOP.   It is costing the taxpayers approx. $600,000 over their 4 year term.  

I would like to ask the Council members 2 questions:

1.  Did you have health insurance BEFORE you were elected and if so, where did it come from?

2.  If you had not been elected, where would you have gotten your health insurance?  (Did you run just to get insurance?)

The people do not owe the Council members and their families basically free health/dental/vision insurance.   I am waiting to see if any of the 9 have the courage to put a stop to this.    Next meeting is Monday the 25th.  

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 19 January 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#33 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

We pay into Perf 3%. Also it takes 10 years to be vested. Most councilmen leave before then. To receive back maybe $60 dollars per month (estimated). That's a far cry from city council perks. We also pay for rooms and sign up fees for any training. Nothing in the budget for that.

If I'm re-elected, I promise to vote NO for any raises on our pay! So it would be 12 years no pay increase.

Mr. Vissing,

You attend one meeting per month.  You also attend the budget hearings and occasional special meetings.  Let's round it off to 12 regular and maybe 10 extra meetings per year.

Other than these meeting, how much time do you actually spend on county council business?

Let's see, maybe a total of 22 meetings, and that would be stretching it, I would estimate over $600 per meeting.

I don't think I would ask for a raise either.   :logik:  :shifty:  :logik:  :shifty:

• grammy likes this

#34 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

BB, there is way more time involving being on an elected body besides going to council meetings. I am President of Clark County Solid waste. One monthly meeting there also. I sign all checks for that operation. I serve as vice chair for 4H extension, and CC redevelopment. Those are quarterly meetings.
To run for a county wide race such as county council, you will need 3-5 thousand dollars for signs and posts, and lots of time and mileage to get permission, install, maintain those signs. Not once but twice in one year. Watching my mileage once, I drove 250 miles picking up my signs all over this huge county.
You also have about 5 parades to attend, a week long 4H fair, democrat or republican meetings, numerous church event fundraisers, school festivals, when your at fund raiser auctions, you may feel compelled to spend lots of money to get your name noticed. I usually purchase a animal at the 4-H fair to help our young people.
We need good people to participate in government, please sign up.
  • snowman likes this

#35 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

I don't have issues with the health insurance policy...( And that's coming from someone who's found themselves either "un" or under insured at various times over the years)...I don't begrudge it to anyone...Hopefully one day it won't even be an issue ( as it should be).   My feeling is if this is something that bothers people so much then they should get behind universal health care. :)

Would also enjoy watching BB run for office too. :)

• hillbilly highway likes this

#36 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

BB, there is way more time involving being on an elected body besides going to council meetings. I am President of Clark County Solid waste. One monthly meeting there also. I sign all checks for that operation. I serve as vice chair for 4H extension, and CC redevelopment. Those are quarterly meetings.
To run for a county wide race such as county council, you will need 3-5 thousand dollars for signs and posts, and lots of time and mileage to get permission, install, maintain those signs. Not once but twice in one year. Watching my mileage once, I drove 250 miles picking up my signs all over this huge county.
You also have about 5 parades to attend, a week long 4H fair, democrat or republican meetings, numerous church event fundraisers, school festivals, when your at fund raiser auctions, you may feel compelled to spend lots of money to get your name noticed. I usually purchase a animal at the 4-H fair to help our young people.
We need good people to participate in government, please sign up.

Are the taxpayers responsible for paying the expenses, for all of the candidates,that are for running for office?

I am not trying to pick on you but merely putting things in prospective.

Let's go way out side the spectrum and say you attend 40 meeting per year.  That would probably be close to $350 per meeting, based on the old published salary, in the EN.

The meetings that I have attended usually last between 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Some only lasted 1/2 an hour. 

#37 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

I was trying to point out what is involved with running and being on the council. It may sound easier than it is. I am proud to serve the County Taxpayers. Thanks!

#38 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

IF the City Council members are smart -- and IF they are truly fiscally conservative --- and IF they really believe that for some odd reason that we, the taxpayers, "owe" them and their families health, dental and vision insurance even though they have full-time jobs, then it would stand to reason that they would want to find the best way possible to provide that insurance to themselves at the least cost to "we" the taxpayers.    Or at least one would hope they would.   But that doesn't appear to be the case.

They could very easily provide themselves with health/dental/vision insurance and STILL save the taxpayers well over half of the current cost of $600,000.   If they can't figure out how for themselves, I would be glad to enlighten them on how to do it ---- but first let's see if any of them will either vote to eliminate this lucrative benefit or opt for the alternate route of saving well over half (if they are smart enough to figure it out).   After all, if they can't save the taxpayers $600,000 -- surely they will agree to save us at least $300,000 to possibly $450,000 wouldn't they??  

#39 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Mr. Vissing

Did you vote for the raises for the Clark County Public Defenders??

I hear there are 16 of these positions many part time and many get insurance 

Is this accurate??

• kelley likes this

#40 Kevin Vissing

Kevin Vissing

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

Our public defenders get paid very little and have huge case loads. Floyd county pays better, but no insurance, Clark County pays less, but provides insurance. We did not give any increases in salary in 2016. We did bump up the salaries on the lowest paid deputy prosecuters. Our DP our paid on average way less than the state average, and have an incredible work load.
  • snowman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users