• kelley, Debbie, Donna and 2 others like this

#2 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

Great video Granny. He is telling the ABSOLUTE truth. You would think after all these years people would realize this. He has beautiful hair but I was shocked when the voice turned out to be male, thought for sure I was going to hear a sweet feminine voice. LOL!
  • GrumpyGranny and partsguy like this

#3 partsguy

partsguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

Oh My Goodness, YES!!!  This is the problem.  Our schools are teaching things 85 Percent of the students will never use, and they graduate unprepared for the outside world.  I realized this while I was in middle school and I'm 40 now.  Spelling, Grammar, History and the reasons behind it, Math and economics are the foundation to life and our kids need to have those things mastered.  Instead we gloss over the building blocks to build higher and higher and the towers of learning are fragile at best.  We need a system in place to pull out the kids that are easily learning things and are obviously predisposed for higher learning to put them on that track.  The remainder of students we can focus on being better prepared for the life that is waiting for them when they graduate. 

• GrumpyGranny and Oldgoat like this

#4 partsguy

partsguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

tumblr_nyvn3hpB7M1tvj3fbo1_500.jpg

• GrumpyGranny, Debbie, CityBoy and 1 other like this

#5 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

Years ago when I was in school, students were divided into "tracks" -- academic, general, vocational, etc.   But then someone came along and said we shouldn't "discriminate" --- ALL students had to be treated equally. It became "illegal" for schools to divide students into tracks.  All students should learn essentially the same things in school and classrooms should be made up of students of various learning abilities so they said.  This often meant that classes became "boring" for students who were high achievers and/or slower learners fell behind and became frustrated.   Grouping students according to ability was not allowed and still isn't today.   That is sad in my opinion and the quote above depicts that --- "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." 

This is the reason why I am very much in favor of charter schools, private schools, homeschools, vouchers, etc. ---- ALL students do not learn the same way.  ALL schools matter and ALL schools can play a role in the development of a child.  But parents and students should be allowed to choose where their child attends school and what best fits their abilities and needs.  Public schools should NOT be the only choice.  But the public schools think that they can do it all.  GCCS was adamantly opposed to the possibility of a new charter school coming to  southern Indiana.   Their opposition wasn't because they cared about the kids or their success ---- they were opposed because they might lose a few students to the new school and thereby lower the amount of funding they received from the state.  They like to say that "it is all about the kids" -- but that is just not true.  It is "all about the money".

• GrumpyGranny, Beading Lady, Oldgoat and 1 other like this

#6 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

There are basically 7 identified learning styles.  Unfortunately, most schools tend to focus toward 1 or 2 of those.  This has long been one of my major reasons for supporting vouchers.  If another school is better suited to educating your child, that should be an option.  This is from a parent that watched the frustration of a very bright child being pigeon-holed and discouraged because teachers taught only for the "mainstream" students.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and snowman like this

#7 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

Once we realize that our education system is not set up to educate but rather indoctrinate then we can begin to throw off our chains.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Beading Lady and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users