Photo

Lincoln Bridge opened early (Sunday night @ 10:30PM)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:47 PM

WDRB is reporting that the Lincoln Bridge opened early . . . Sunday night at 10:30 P.M, instead of 5 AM tomorrow.

Also, the new "fly-over" coming off the 2nd Street Bridge into Jeffersonville is open.

#2 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

Now, can somebody explain to me how to get from I-64 eastbound onto the new bridge?  I get on 64 at 9th Street in Louisville and, for the life of me, I don't see an approach to the Lincoln Bridge.  I understand the new access to I-65 southbound off of I-64 is now open after being closed for a couple of years.

#3 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:57 AM

From the project website....

http://kyinbridges.c...ng/news-events/

As drivers traveling from the west to Downtown Louisville regain direct access to I-65 South, they are losing direct access to I-65 North. The ramp from I-64 East to I-65 North has closed to traffic.

This is a long-term closure, with the ramp expected to be closed until late 2016. Signed detours will be in place to help drivers reach their destinations. Around 8,400 drivers use the ramp on a daily basis. A new ramp will be built during the closure. It’s expected to open by late 2016.

• Donna likes this

#4 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

Thanks, Woo.  I saw the same info last night but it doesn't offer any specifics.

Has anyone figured out the detour route yet?  I sure don't want to have to go down to Grinstead or something to get on.  

#5 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

Thanks, Woo.  I saw the same info last night but it doesn't offer any specifics.

Has anyone figured out the detour route yet?  I sure don't want to have to go down to Grinstead or something to get on.  

Highway 31 via the 2nd street bridge now has direct access to I-65 north from downtown.

• Donna and woo like this

#6 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

Question. I did not walk the bridge Saturday but why could people not walk all the way across? I believe I heard it was not quite finished yet now I see it opened Sunday night at 10:30. Wonder who was the first one across?
I do not get out often at night but Thursday night coming from Clarksville to Kye's for the Paws Fur A Cause I saw the walking bridge lit up from a distance for the first time...my goodness it is beautiful! You have to wonder what travelers think when they see it for the first time. It is a wonder it does not cause wrecks, It is difficult to take your eyes away.
It is a shame Jeff couldn't continue the colors on into the park but I believe they were told they had to use white (boring) lighting...too bad.

Edited by jiyabird, 07 December 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#7 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

Well -- I certainly couldn't figure it out when I came home that way tonight. Signs are NOT very good at all. I ended up taking the left exit that normally went up to I-65N but then it curves right and puts you on I-65 South -- so I exited at Jefferson St and then went to 2nd street and came across the 2nd Street bridge (which by the way is MUCH better since both lanes are now open) I think I will just forget about the "new" bridge for a long, long while. Not worth the effort.
  • HoundDog likes this

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

Oh my!  I've been avoiding the round-about because I'm not sure I would understand what to do!

Maybe hubs will drive me through it!

#9 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

We went to see Wicked at Kentucky center yesterday, and got to drive over the new ramp on this side of the 2nd street bridge. I had no idea where it would take me, but it dumps you right out at Stansifer ave, or you can stay in the left lane and jump on 65 north. Pretty sweet!

#10 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

Yes -- I think having the 2nd street bridge back to "normal" will help traffic tremendously. I always take the 2nd street bridge in the mornings--- and will now steer that way in the evening as well! Plus it will have NO tolls when the Kennedy/Lincoln bridges soon will.

#11 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

Like IM, I take the 2nd Street Bridge to work in the mornings.  Followed my instincts and came home on the 2nd Street Bridge as well.  The new flyway does drop you down at Stansifer Avenue.  I'd prefer to come home by way of 10th Street but it will all work out.  

• IntegrityMatters likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users