84 replies to this topic

#41 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

you mean that quote was taken out of context??? no, you can't mean that pesty.  surely that's not true...

you mean that quote was taken out of context??? no, you can't mean that pesty.  surely that's not true.

Now of course, today’s announcement is of a matter really of equal seriousness, but of long-standing concern.  I’m really pleased to be able to be here today.  I’m actually thrilled that this event is being held here today, now, at this time.  We’re at a point where these issues have come together really like never before in law enforcement thought and in our nation’s history.  And it gives us a wonderful opportunity and a wonderful moment to really make significant change.  You all are such a distinguished group of advocates, of lawmakers, judges, experts – and we’re all here to talk about today how we can ensure that our legal system serves every American faithfully, fairly, regardless of their economic systems.

i think i hilited the right place... she was speaking at a conference on poverty and incarceration.  and this paragraph came directly after her words on San Bernardino, so you can see that she clearly changed subject when she said "today's announcement is of a matter really of equal seriousness"

• Pesty Version 2 likes this

#42 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

All this makes my brain and heart hurt.

A friend has a theory how this happened over a regifted fruitcake, and I'm starting to see the merit in that theory, though really, I'm pretty sure since California has strict gun laws that this last shooting didn't happen, couldn't possibly have happened.
  • Quasar and CityBoy like this

#43 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

I'm pretty sure since California has strict gun laws that this last shooting didn't happen, couldn't possibly have happened.

Pretty much invalidates the "lets make stuff illegal" argument huh?

#44 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

I will ask again, because I seriously don't recall:  When did a good guy with a gun stop a bad guy with a gun in these type of slaughters?

#45 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

I will ask again, because I seriously don't recall: When did a good guy with a gun stop a bad guy with a gun in these type of slaughters?

I love you, but that makes no sense.

Are the good guys supposed to take guns into a gun-free zone? Do cops count as good guys with guns? If someone had been armed and stopped it, would it be a slaughter? If it was prevented because someone was armed and deterred or halted the attack would it even exist as an event to lament?
  • jiyabird likes this

#46 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

I will ask again, because I seriously don't recall:  When did a good guy with a gun stop a bad guy with a gun in these type of slaughters?

Results from a simple google search.

http://www.washingto...guy-gun/?page=1

#47 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, Woo.  It was a serious inquiry.  I'll have to google it later, as the links posted on CCC, and God help me, AUDIO!, won't show up on my computer!  I could only read the first story, after that, it all got wiggy!

Love you, too, Blondie!  Knowing how you like to turn comments around in your mind, I don't know how that didn't make sense, but then, I like nonsensical.

#48 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

I watched two documentaries last night on the Columbine massacre. A cop engaged the killers right at the beginning. But no cops went in for about 3 and 1/2 hours. (about 2 hours after the killers had suicided). They said police have adapted a different strategy for 'active shooter' now. But the single thing that saved many many lives in that one was an unarmed high school teacher who got most of the students into rooms that locked from the inside. He was unarmed and lost his life when the killers shot him in the back as he went thru the hallways trying his best to get people safe.

#49 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

• kelley and Pesty Version 2 like this

#50 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

I've often wondered how the police are supposed to react in the "good guy with a gun" scenario. They get a call that there is an (one or more) active shooter somewhere and when they show up there are two or three people waving guns around. How are they supposed to sort out the good ones from the bad ones? Even if the good guy lays down his weapon immediately and surrenders it still seems like a significant distraction that the law enforcement PROFESSIONALS wouldn't want to have to deal with in such an intense critical situation.

#51 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

Looks like there might be a connection to ISIS...

San Bernardino shooting: Attacker pledged allegiance to ISIS, officials say

(CNN)[Breaking news update at 10:24 a.m. ET]

As the San Bernardino attack was happening, investigators believe the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik, posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, three U.S. officials familiar with the investigation told CNN.

The posting was by Malik made on an account with a different name, according to one U.S. official. The officials did not explain how they knew Malik made the post.

#52 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

I've often wondered how the police are supposed to react in the "good guy with a gun" scenario. They get a call that there is an (one or more) active shooter somewhere and when they show up there are two or three people waving guns around. How are they supposed to sort out the good ones from the bad ones? Even if the good guy lays down his weapon immediately and surrenders it still seems like a significant distraction that the law enforcement PROFESSIONALS wouldn't want to have to deal with in such an intense critical situation.

LEO's must protect themselves... so any armed civilian is going to be assumed to be a risk until proven otherwise. They are going to be cuffed and stuffed until things are sorted out... I'd be rid of the gun and be in surrender mode by the time a LEO is anywhere near me... 

#53 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

2015-12-04-0df3ffdf_large.jpg

• kelley likes this

#54 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

2015-12-04-0df3ffdf_large.jpg

Darn that "Left"! The "Right" NEVER exhibits any double standard.

#55 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

Oh yes they do.

• kelley and Persona Non Grata like this

#56 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

A word from the NRA...

http://www.usatoday....olumn/76748608/
  • IntegrityMatters likes this

#57 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

Here are more examples if you care to read them....

https://www.washingt...mass-shootings/

#58 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

For every time a household gun is used legally in self-defense, there are four unintentional shootings, seven assaults or murders, and 11 attempted or completed suicides-by-firearm.

#59 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

For every time a household gun is used legally in self-defense, there are four unintentional shootings, seven assaults or murders, and 11 attempted or completed suicides-by-firearm.

Got a citation?

Off the bat, I'd like to know how we have an accurate count of how often a household gun is used in self-defese.
  • Quasar and CityBoy like this

#60 Persona Non Grata

Persona Non Grata

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

Got a citation?

Off the bat, I'd like to know how we have an accurate count of how often a household gun is used in self-defese.

Nope. It's a cut and paste from Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Anything beyond that is more work than I'm willing to dedicate to the Chatter this weekend. Take it for what it's worth. Although, if truly interested in getting to the truth, one can cut and paste my post directly into a Google search and find oodles of exciting reading.

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 05 December 2015 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users