Photo

Why was Senator Jim Smith expelled from Repiblican caucus

Senator Jim Smith Republican caucus Indiana secret special interest scheming LGBT legidlation

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Patriot

Patriot

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

Why was Senator Jim Smith expelled from the Republican caucus?

I know Senator Jim Smith.  Jim is a good man, and a good legislator, among the best.

Indiana State Senate leadership, and fellow Republicans in the Senate, recently expelled Senator Jim Smith from Charlestown, Indiana from their caucus and Jim still faces further sanctions and punishment.  What does that mean?  Well, a caucus is a special interest group that meets in a back-room behind-closed-doors under pledge of secrecy to plan legislation.  Jim Smith asked his constituents a simple question on Facebook?

“The Indiana senate republican leadership is pushing a homosexual civil rights bill…. What do you think?”

The senate republican leadership expelled Jim for violating his pledge to their secrecy.  But which takes priority? Jim’s pledge to his constituents to be transparent and seek their input and feedback on issues and pending legislation or Jim’s pledge to keep the republican caucus’s schemes secret?

Why aren’t the discussions that take place in secret caucuses instead made on the senate floor?  That is what our form of government contemplates.  That is what transparency dictates.  Special interests do not always mean the rich wealthy donors.  Special interests also consists of unions, senior citizens, environmentalists, homeless advocates, gun owners, LGBT, religious groups, etc.  But what is too often common across all special interests?  Their desire to scheme and draft legislation in favor of their special interest in secret behind-closed-doors, often in caucuses. 

I have no problem with special interests.  We are all members of various special interest groups, and we should be allowed to speak as a group in favor or against legislation.  However, these groups too often fear the transparent light of sun shining on their plans.  They do not want to debate and justify their ideas openly in public.  They strongly prefer secret caucuses.

Jim Smith dared to ask his constituents for their feedback on the drafting of special interest legislation taking place behind-closed-doors.  They expelled Jim out of fear that he will inform his constituents about legislative plans they are scheming.  This is what is wrong with government at all levels today.

I want transparency in government.  Secret caucuses run contrary to transparency. Republicans should be leading the cause for transparency.  At this point, what makes the Republicans in Indiana any different than national Democrats?  Their policies that they are scheming to implement  - IN SECRET?  How can we know?

Edited by Patriot, 21 November 2015 - 06:35 PM.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Beerguy and 3 others like this

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Great read ^ Highly recommend!!

#3 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

Is Senator Smith pro or anti gay ?

Reports of this legislation suggest it's anti gay. 

#4 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

Transparency is often something candidates espouse when running for office -- but once elected they forget what the word means.  And, I agree that this takes place at ALL levels.  Schools boards call them "executive sessions"  but it is the same as "caucuses".    I am very tired of all the closed-door secrets at all levels.   And the "open door laws" have so many loopholes and exceptions that they are virtually worthless.   Time for REAL change.

• kelley, Oldgoat, Patriot and 1 other like this

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

Stuff I've been reading suggests Smith might be trying to bring some change.

An Indy pundit claimed he was being encouraged by Republicans to run. Smith was on Facebook looking for feedback.
  • IntegrityMatters and clarkcoconstituent like this

#6 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

Is Senator Smith pro or anti gay ?

Reports of this legislation suggest it's anti gay. 

Why do you only offer two choices?  What if he stands for individual liberty, thinks government should stay out of people's bedrooms AND that individuals have a right to their own beliefs, whether they fit the agenda du jour or not.  It really IS irrelevant!   He obviously felt that a matter that affects so many people should be discussed in public rather than behind closed doors.

• kelley, CityBoy and Patriot like this

#7 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

Why do we need two threads on this?

• Quasar and Tina like this

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

It keeps us busy, Woo!

Good, well intentioned people run for office promising transparency and deference to their constituents, only to take office by swearing an oath that precludes all of that.

#9 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

Smith may or may not be on the wrong side of the issue, but the point of whether it should be discussed publicly is an interesting one.

Also interesting: as I understand it, it was reported via a leak to a commentator from someone within the Republican caucus that Smith was expelled before Smith was formally told he was expelled for violating the secrecy of the caucus.

Edited by kelley, 21 November 2015 - 08:22 PM.

• Patriot likes this

#10 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Why do you only offer two choices?  What if he stands for individual liberty, thinks government should stay out of people's bedrooms AND that individuals have a right to their own beliefs, whether they fit the agenda du jour or not.  It really IS irrelevant!   He obviously felt that a matter that affects so many people should be discussed in public rather than behind closed doors.

That's pro gay.

#11 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

Smith may or may not be on the wrong side of the issue,

There is no "wrong side" to the issue....

#12 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:02 PM

If anyone follows state house politics they would understand things a little better.
While I oppose a lot of things that they do in Indy I do understand much of it.
I am firmly against government intruding into our lives. Personally I oppose the whole, bend over backwards to please, frame of mind.
One thing that everyone has to understand is you can't legislate morality
Some things do have to be discussed in private then laid out in the open. That doesn't violate being transparent.
When it comes to Mr. Smith, he is a very ineffective senator. He hasn't accomplished anything to speak of. He doesn't even spend time with the local voters.

Edited by Big Bopper, 21 November 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#13 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

There is no "wrong side" to the issue....

There are a range of sides; some of them are wrong. I like very few.

I meant the "wrongness" would be per one's perspective. That actually seems obvious.

I was mostly trying to convey in that phrase that I don't know his views on the matter.

Edited by kelley, 21 November 2015 - 09:16 PM.

• woo likes this

#14 Fact Checker

Fact Checker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:42 PM

Smith has been a huge failure and I will predict he will have a primary opponent in 2018.  He has done nothing to help Clark County's budget situation.  Sad considering he use to be on the council and has a committee appointment on the local government.  He needs to go

#15 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

That's pro gay.

I would differ.  That is pro liberty

• kelley likes this

#16 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

Some conservatives and pro-transparency folks sure seem to like him.

#17 Patriot

Patriot

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

"Some things do have to be discussed in private then laid out in the open. That doesn't violate being transparent."

Yes it does violate transparency. How can citizens participate in representative democracy if "some things have to be discussed in private"? I see, those in power, and the elites know best, and need to decide what is best for the rest of us and draft legislation - in private. You know we just do not understand the complexities of legislation and public policy that affect our everyday lives. Only those in power and the elites can possibly know what is best for the rest of us.
  • kelley and Oldgoat like this

#18 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

Smith is a sadist... the pos should not hold a public office...

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

Sadist? The pain meds issue?

#20 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

Sadist? The pain meds issue?

Absolutely...

Sob better not make the mistake of stepping off of a curb in front of me...

Matter of fact... I think Smith and Grooms should spend more time taking walks together...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Senator Jim Smith, Republican, caucus, Indiana, secret, special interest, scheming, LGBT, legidlation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users