9 replies to this topic

#1 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

We'll be closing on a house in Clark County during Thanksgiving week.

I know that Indiana law requires that I get Indiana plates on our vehicles within 60 days of that date.

My question is this:

Would it be best to wait until January '16 to get our plates and drivers licenses? We are currently KY residents.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

I would get your plates and license before Jan 1st in Indiana. I can tell you from experience of moving from KY to IN. KY will charge you the whole year on taxes on your vehicles if you are still registered in KY on Jan 1st. 

Indiana however will pro-rate from the time you get the plates to your renewal month based on your last name. You can even buy the next years option for pretty cheap so you may not have to get plates for almost 2 years!

I moved to IN in Dec about 10 years ago after living in KY for 3 years. I moved back to KY after about 4 years in IN. KY tried to charge me for the whole following year and then late fees when I moved. They stated I didn't notify them I moved to another state. I told them that I did and was told nothing was needed except to register my vehicle in the new state. Took me 2 months to get that cleared up before I could register my vehicle in KY. Had to get copies of a Lease from 4 years before, cancelled checks etc showing I had paid to live in Indiana. 

Just save yourself a headache and get registered over here as soon as you can lol! And welcome to the sunny side! I have lived most of my life in Southern Indiana and moved to Louisville a couple times but will never do it again after dealing with KY DMV.

• Col-Arthur likes this

#3 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

Indiana allows 60 days for you to register your vehicles upon moving into the state.  As long as you are within that window I would wait.

#4 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:53 AM

I don't see any reason to wait. I'd just go when it is most convenient for you within the 60 days.

#5 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

If they are just moving into the state, there is no reason to buy a plate that will expire in less than a year.  Because of the 60 day window, there shouldn't be any tax for this year.  If they wait until Jan. 2, the plate will be good for AT LEAST a year.  If he buys one now and his name starts with A thru H, the plate will expire in less than 6 months.

#6 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

If he buys one now and his name starts with A thru H, the plate will expire in less than 6 months.

You can buy your plate up to 6 months in advance. If he buys now, and is A to H, he can purchase through 2017.

As Bigfoot explained. 

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#7 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

You can buy your plate up to 6 months in advance. If he buys now, and is A to H, he can purchase through 2017.

As Bigfoot explained. 

But why would one pay for a 2015 plate when not required to by law?  That makes no sense!  He is good for 60 days.  Then he can buy a 2016 plate.

#8 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

My last name begins with K; my plate's renewal date is June 21 of each year. If I buy a car now, my plate isn't just for 2015...it is good from now until June 21, 2016. The cost is pro-rated so I am paying for a partial year but also given the option to pay that partial year plus the next full year, making the plate good until June 21, 2017.

The plates are good from renewal date to renewal date, not for a full calendar year, January 1 to December 31. The renewal date is set by BMV based on your last name.

Edited to add that the BMV will also let you renew your driver's license up to a year in advance, so if you're there for something else but want to go ahead and get that renewal out of the way, you can.

#9 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:53 PM

Edited to add that the BMV will also let you renew your driver's license up to a year in advance, so if you're there for something else but want to go ahead and get that renewal out of the way, you can.

And you can do it online...

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#10 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

But why would one pay for a 2015 plate when not required to by law?  That makes no sense!  He is good for 60 days.  Then he can buy a 2016 plate.

The reason to buy it before 12/31 in Indiana is to mainly avoid having to pay KY a whole years worth of taxes on the vehicle that you are going to pay to Indiana when you register. Kentucky expects you to pay for the whole year if you own the vehicle on Jan 1st. No matter if you sell it on the 2nd or not they want the whole year of taxes from you.

• Donna and Col-Arthur like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users