• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

It's been awfully quiet here in the Clarksville corner of the Chatter since the election.

So now that there is a new majority on our town council, what do you predict this new regime will do first?

And what will the lame ducks do before they go out for the last time?

This could get interesting. :yes:

#2 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

My opinion; more of the same. We had a 5 to 2 council before the election and we have a 5 to 2 council after the election. So my prediction will be that the new gang will act just like the old gang.
  • GrumpyGranny and Sleepy like this

#3 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

Clarksville can't afford more of the same Russell. We have to help the new council move forward by communicating with them. If they ignore us, we know they are the same and can start working toward big upsets again at the next election. They have to EARN retention. It's up to the voters to make the change happen!

#4 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:59 PM

I'm willing to see how it goes for awhile before I lump the new council in with the old or make any predictions. I would like to see the council strike down the firearms ban in town hall.
  • kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#5 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:58 PM

My opinion; more of the same. We had a 5 to 2 council before the election and we have a 5 to 2 council after the election. So my prediction will be that the new gang will act just like the old gang.

Full of optimism, are ya?  :whistle:

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#6 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

Full of optimism, are ya? :whistle:

Attached File  image.gif   67.27KB   3 downloads

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 09 November 2015 - 11:07 PM.

#7 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

After a while of have to deal with the old council, you get the feeling that they have one last card up their sleeve to throw at us. I don't know what it might be, but you just get that feeling...

As for the new council, I would hope they would take up the issues that turned the voters so heavily in Republican favor (i.e. go back and read what you promised in mailer and the voting guide). To me, that is the best place to start.

• GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#8 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

After a while of have to deal with the old council, you get the feeling that they have one last card up their sleeve to throw at us. I don't know what it might be, but you just get that feeling...

Well, grayarea, I noticed that they plan to discuss the town manager issue at Monday night's work session. Could they be planning on quickly hiring a town manager? Perhaps one of the current council members? With a contract written with a huge buy out clause if the new council does not want to keep him for the term of the contract?

• Tina and littletommy like this

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

Well, grayarea, I noticed that they plan to discuss the town manager issue at Monday night's work session. Could they be planning on quickly hiring a town manager? Perhaps one of the current council members? With a contract written with a huge buy out clause if the new council does not want to keep him for the term of the contract?

If they pull a stunt like that, I have a funny feeling Democrats will be out of power for a long time in Clark County.

#10 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

GG,

Like I said, there is something...

However, odd that they are now bringing that up. Obviously it will be a negative situation with either...

1.) Some kind of authority that the council cannot challenge, or

2.) A public airing of some kind of results that show the cost of a town manager are outlandish or some other issues that, probably, do not apply to the situation. But, regardless I don't know if they have enough time left to actually hire someone. (They'll have to advertise the position, interview, etc...that's a lot of legal mumble jumble in just over a month). I found it odd that the "new deocrats" were citing numbers of up to $250,000 per year in cost. I would believe I would qualify for the position. I'd drive my own car and really wouldn't be any greater cost than another employee. If the dollars are decent, I would be interested...but I see this as a last ditch attempt to scare the public off and that any such notions simply don't make sense. Hey Gang of Four, it's time to let go and any other similar actions to this is simply flipping off the voters you disenchanted and got your party kicked in the backside. Leave any hiring of a TOWN MANAGER to those the town has now asked to lead...

• littletommy and Clarksville Voter like this

#11 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Tinas response to this scenario, but, it is Clarksville democrats, afterall. Gird your loins Clarksville residents!

#12 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

I do not put anything past people who have absolute power. Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or Independent. Any Council with a 5-2 split is oligarchic in nature. The 5 have absolute power. That is why we need separation of power. That is why our Town Executive should be elected by the people, and that Town Executive should have checks against the power of the Council. That's just my opinion though.

#13 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

The current council has already groomed someone to step into the role of Town Manager if they should choose to adopt one next week

#14 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

The current council has already groomed someone to step into the role of Town Manager if they should choose to adopt one next week

Dang! I guess I missed the boat on that one. Why can't I get one of those sweet gigs? Oh.....wait......it's because I don't have a filter between my brain and mouth, and I won't brown nose, guess that automatically rules me out! LOL!
  • kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

I don't have a filter between my brain and mouth, and I won't brown nose, guess that automatically rules me out! LOL!

Are we related?
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#16 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

Here is the 411 from a normally very reliable source:

The newly elected majority requested the town manager issue be on the work session agenda in order to get a consensus from the outgoing council allowing for a town manager search committee to be re-assembled.  It is the intention of the newly elected majority to move forward promptly with the search for a town manager, and if consensus is favorable would allow the search committee to begin its work at once rather than wait until the middle of Jan, 2016. 

Changes are coming.  :yes:

#17 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:06 PM

That is why our Town Executive should be elected by the people,

Uh, Russell...our town executive is indeed elected by the people...in fact, every member of our council is elected by the people.

#18 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

Uh, Russell...our town executive is indeed elected by the people...in fact, every member of our council is elected by the people.

Wrong. The Town Executive is chosen by the Town Council. Read the statutes.

#19 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

Wrong. The Town Executive is chosen by the Town Council. Read the statutes.

Agreed.  He (she) is selected by the members of the council who are all 'elected by the people'.

#20 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:56 PM

Agreed. He (she) is selected by the members of the council who are all 'elected by the people'.

One more example of concentrated power in our current system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users