36 replies to this topic

#21 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

Say what you want, call me whatever you wish, this area accepts -- and even promotes -- mediocrity.

Show me otherwise.

If this area is so bad and so behind the times, then move to a better area. The grass is always greener......

#22 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

Farm Bureau made its position clear -- just like Tea Party supporters -- no more taxes. The vote in the rural area of the county made that perfectly clear. 

Kid yourself all you want. Once again we fall further behind. Average prevails.

The no vote was nearly 75%.  You aren't going to win over any votes by being a sore loser.  Decide to try to find common ground with some of those no votes or just leave the district.  That attitude is NEVER going to get a referendum passed in this district.  This wasn't a 52-48 outcome where you can put up the same referendum a year from now and hope that you can get it passed by promoting it better.

Edited by Hickory Huskers, 09 November 2015 - 09:00 AM.

• Tina and Donna like this

#23 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

I will ask you the same question I asked elsewhere on this site: Can you show me ANY specific and verified (peer reviewed) statistics that show a correlation between school buildings and student achievement? There is plenty of evidence that smaller, neighborhood schools do! This plan included CLOSING neighborhood schools! This was NEVER about the students but more about GCCS building monuments to themselves and throwing money at problems, a tactic that has failed miserably.

My family toured the Crescent Hill campus for Highlands Latin School this past weekend.

No "smart boards", no computers, big OLD building...

Anyone care to view their student achievement statistics??

Same with Catholic schools and old buildings!

Edited by Tina, 11 November 2015 - 06:18 AM.

• IntegrityMatters, Avid Reader, Oldgoat and 2 others like this

#24 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

Good point Tina.  That is a great school.  Me and my daughter's granddad wanted her to go to HLS ....good lord, Wendell Berry taught a high school English

class there at the time.  However,  the wimmens won out and she went to a more Montesorri style school. That was also very good. I think, overall, we

need to either go forward or back but somehow escape this canned education we see in the Public Schools now.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Beading Lady and 3 others like this

#25 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

We definitely need more CHOICE for parents --  the public school "one size fits all" just doesn't work.   Instead of trying to fight charter schools and private schools, the public schools should welcome them and realize that they can't fit everyone's needs.  But when the public schools fight charters and private schools from coming into an area, it just says that it is definitely NOT "all about the kids".   :no:

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Beading Lady and 2 others like this

#26 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

I doubt that private schools would welcome/recruit/promote students that require special attention. They want the academically gifted students -- the best and brightest. I hear that a catholic elementary school in New Albany is strongly exhibiting such a discriminatory practice that is beginning to attract negative attention.

Not against charter schools, but I would prefer to see our public schools  become the pride of the community.

#27 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

Unfortunately, Greater Clark was not able to help my granddaughter --- moved her after kindergarten to a private school in Louisville that works with children who need more one-on-one attention (the DePaul School).   Their motto is "children who learn differently, learn here".   She spent 8 years at the DePaul School and it was worth every penny.   She is now at Presentation Academy (a very old, old school) in Louisville and doing well.   Children with dyslexia, ADHD, autism and other learning difficulties do very well in the small class sizes at DePaul.  Our public schools just do not have the resources to help these children thrive.   Nothing against GCCS -- but they need to realize that sometimes children need other options -- if it is truly "all about the kids".

• Donna likes this

#28 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'm proud of the teachers that do a phenomenal job with our children.  I'm proud of the children that work hard at their education and the parents that support the efforts of both teachers and children.

• IntegrityMatters likes this

#29 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

Integrity,

I believe I toured DePaul School as part of an LSI class. It was remarkable. Perhaps that it something our school system could develop. It would be a commitment to excellence I could support.

#30 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:06 AM

I doubt that private schools would welcome/recruit/promote students that require special attention. They want the academically gifted students -- the best and brightest. I hear that a catholic elementary school in New Albany is strongly exhibiting such a discriminatory practice that is beginning to attract negative attention.

Not against charter schools, but I would prefer to see our public schools  become the pride of the community.

Two of my sons attended what is now Rock Creek.  I even subbed there for a while.  I can assure you that they had numerous students, including one of my sons, that had been marginalized in the public schools.  One of our sons had 11 of 12 identifying factors for ADHD.  His 4th grade teacher (public school) told us she had never had a student with ADHD in 35 years teaching, just students that would not behave.  He had a high IQ and did well on tests but was denied entry into the advanced program because he was fidgety and struggled with his hyperactivity, which the lack of a challenge only worsened.  When we asked for a modified lesson plan in middle school, (River Valley) they actually told us in the conference that GCCS did NOT recognize ADHD as a disability.  Thankfully a good friend had forewarned us and we opened a folder and put a document on the table showing that the US Dept of Education DID recognize it and they would too!  Their attitude immediately changed and they developed the alternative plan.  We should NOT have had to force them to do so.  When he started high school at Jeff, we were told that the "options" program would be perfect for him.  During the first parent teacher conference the teacher enthusiastically told us that our son was a joy to have in class and that he was one of only a few that did not cuss him and disrupt class regularly.  After verifying from our son what was going on in class, we moved him to Restoration, now Rock Creek.  They were able to work with the struggling students and still maintain discipline.  I doubt that our son would have graduated from Jeff, especially in the options program.

Our experience with the public schools in Greater Clark was very mixed. Our kids had some outstanding and caring teachers but they also had some real losers and the admins always gave us the impression that they really didn't want to accommodate "special" students without being forced to do so.  In contrast, our experience with private schools was almost completely positive. 

#31 cabowabo

cabowabo

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:40 AM

Melin could learn volumes from how Providence High School has accomplished its capital rebuilding campaign. They didn't just go in a say, "we need money and we're doing this and that."  They've had to piecemeal everything that they've done based on private donations only. I went there in the late 70's and got tour just a couple of years ago after the main buildings were finished. The old building looks great and it is a safe environment for students to learn what they need to learn.  They are now improving the sports facilities. They prioritized what was needed most then, moved on to the next phase and this has been over about 20 years to accomplish the projects.

I take exception to the comment that the catholic schools only want the best and the brightest. I know alot of people in this community that send their children to catholic schools. There's a lot of average children in those schools. And, some with learning disabilities too. The only true difference is that the parents are paying for it and they expect more from their children on average. Otherwise, why make the large financial sacrafices that they make??

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Tina and 1 other like this

#32 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

Regardless of your position on school choice, facts are stubborn little things.

Research does not support the accusation that Indiana private schools only take the brightest students. In the years the succeeded Indiana's school choice policies, the private schools actually saw a slight decline the their collective school grades while public schools experience a slight improvement in theirs. This is due to the fact that more private schools are enrolling challenging or disadvantaged students who are leaving public schools. This is in direct contrast to the accusation that they cherry-pick students.

Furthermore, there is one more small fact to consider. If a voucher-receiving school receives a D or F grade for two consecutive years, that school can no longer take voucher students until certain perfromance standards are met. The accountability timelines for public schools to face state intervention is 4 years, which is twice as long as voucher-receiving schools.

The data and research seem to indicate that private schools are taking greater numbers of disadvantaged students in the face of being held to more rigorous standards for accountability than our public schools.

Edited by Holy Cow, 12 November 2015 - 04:27 PM.

• kelley and Oldgoat like this

#33 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Private schools aren't "collective."  They are private.  Average all you like, its NOT a collective!

One chatterer says private schools cherry-pick and you counter with the private schools accepting "challenging or disadvantaged students who are leaving public schools."  Then, you charge private schools as taking advantage of a more lenient construct for private school vs. public school. 

Yet, we've had two testimonials of parents/guardians that can tell you its not about the building, its the teachers, staff, in-house administration.  I'll add my voice to that.

Teachers teach, doesn't matter the age of the building.  They are teaching, our children are advancing, and if politics and cronyism got out of the way . . .

You ended on a sour note, though.  That private schools were taking in "challenging or disadvantage students" in the "face of being held to more rigorous standards for accountability than our public schools." 

I take it, you're not for vouchers.

Edited by Donna, 12 November 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#34 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:02 AM

Donna, I fear you misread my post and made four erroneous assertions and comments from it.

First, the "collective" term is a statitistacal observation that overall school performance dipped a bit among Indiana's private schools after the implementation of the voucher program. It is dervied from statitistics and is a calculation that was done by the IDOE. If you have a problem with that, I can pass it on to the person from the IDOE from whom I received that information.

You then make an accusation regarding a "construct." I think had you read my post more carefully you would read that I was stating a fact that the "construct" is actually more stringent on private schools versus public schools. My statement was clear that it takes two years for private schools to incur the penalty for low school grades as opposed to four years for public schools. You seemed to read that backwards.

Finally, you indicated that I ended on a "sour note" and made a comment that seemingly contradicted your assertion. The fact is that my comment about private schools taking more challenging or disadvantaged students in the face of being held to more rigorous standards for accountability than our public schools was a complimentary statement toward private schools. They are taking children who are academically challenged and accepting the fact that it could have an adverse effect of their schoo grades.

Finally, your rather judgemental statement about my being against vouchers either relects the fact that you did not carefully read my post or know something that I don't. The last thing my post would indicate is an opposition to vouchers and/or school choice. A more careful read by you of the post would clearly lead you to believe the complete opposite, and for the record, I doubt that anyone who knows me would accuse me of that.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Edited by Holy Cow, 13 November 2015 - 02:13 AM.

#35 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the clarification.  I was misreading (and had several times!)  My apologies.

#36 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

Donna, No apologies needed. I am not the best at composing as evidenced by two consecutive paragraphs that begin with "Finally."

#37 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:12 AM

You did fine.  It was my suspect reading skills! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users