28 replies to this topic

#21 Fact Checker

Fact Checker

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

You are giving yourself Russell too much praise for helping to defeat the RDA.  It defeated itself with no support from the other counties.  Believe you did help get Mr. Gilkey re-elected and for that a big thank you from my side.  Keep helping elect Democrats.  This is a two paryt system and I am not sure that's a good thing but you have to go with what you got.  The Libertarians have a LONG way to go.  You could probably have viewed the election returns in a phone booth.

#22 MoeMomma

MoeMomma

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

I see that it is advertised on the Town of Clarksville facebook page.   

• kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#23 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

You are giving yourself Russell too much praise for helping to defeat the RDA.  It defeated itself with no support from the other counties.  Believe you did help get Mr. Gilkey re-elected and for that a big thank you from my side.  Keep helping elect Democrats.  This is a two paryt system and I am not sure that's a good thing but you have to go with what you got.  The Libertarians have a LONG way to go.  You could probably have viewed the election returns in a phone booth.

1). I merely stated that I helped, not that I did so singlehandedly. Why do you think those other counties voted against it? It was because of me and some other people, particularly Martina Webster, who took the time to go to the council meetings and speak out against it. We told the truth about that monstrosity, and we helped defeat it.

2). I helped nobody get elected. The people who voted for me were voting AGAINST the other two.

3). It wasn't always a two party system. The "main" parties have usurped our system. You are correct in one thing. We do have a long way to go before we take our country back from the Duocracy. Does that mean we should quit fighting against it? I don't quit.

• Donna likes this

#24 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

You are giving yourself Russell too much praise for helping to defeat the RDA. It defeated itself with no support from the other counties. Believe you did help get Mr. Gilkey re-elected and for that a big thank you from my side. Keep helping elect Democrats. This is a two paryt system and I am not sure that's a good thing but you have to go with what you got. The Libertarians have a LONG way to go. You could probably have viewed the election returns in a phone booth.

Russell was among a group that worked very hard and had a lot to do with those other counties not jumping on board. He didn't claim he did it single-handedly or even that he lead the charge.
  • Quasar, Donna and Russell Brooksbank like this

#25 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

I see that it is advertised on the Town of Clarksville facebook page.   

That's an improvement, but how many people look at the Town's website on a regular basis? It took me and 3 other volunteers about 3 hours to hand out fliers to every residence effected by this Plan. Wonder if the Town will make the same effort. 

#26 MoeMomma

MoeMomma

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

That's an improvement, but how many people look at the Town's website on a regular basis? It took me and 3 other volunteers about 3 hours to hand out fliers to every residence effected by this Plan. Wonder if the Town will make the same effort. 

True.....I just decided to check the FB page and see if it was there.  My husband and I will be attending the meeting.   See ya there!

• kelley and Russell Brooksbank like this

#27 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

You are giving yourself Russell too much praise for helping to defeat the RDA. It defeated itself with no support from the other counties. Believe you did help get Mr. Gilkey re-elected and for that a big thank you from my side. Keep helping elect Democrats. This is a two paryt system and I am not sure that's a good thing but you have to go with what you got. The Libertarians have a LONG way to go. You could probably have viewed the election returns in a phone booth.

Six Libertarians won in Indiana Tuesday, one was re-elected as judge. Some losing candidates still pulled significant totals and/or came in second in three-way races.

Indiana is among the minority of states that still allow straight-party voting, and there are hints it may go away here. Straight-party voting is a major obstacle for those outside the two old parties.

Libertarians - and Independents and Greens, etc. - can and do win even though the odds are very much stacked against them.

Even if we are to maintain a two-party system, which two parties isn't a given. The two parties dominant have changed over time.

And if we're no threat, why try to put down an underdog? Bullying for the sake of it, or strategic discouragement?
  • Quasar, Donna and Russell Brooksbank like this

#28 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

Six Libertarians won in Indiana Tuesday, one was re-elected as judge. Some losing candidates still pulled significant totals and/or came in second in three-way races.

Indiana is among the minority of states that still allow straight-party voting, and there are hints it may go away here. Straight-party voting is a major obstacle for those outside the two old parties.

Libertarians - and Independents and Greens, etc. - can and do win even though the odds are very much stacked against them.

Even if we are to maintain a two-party system, which two parties isn't a given. The two parties dominant have changed over time.

And if we're no threat, why try to put down an underdog? Bullying for the sake of it, or strategic discouragement?

Yep, we gained a seat. Before the election we had 5 seats. Now we have 6, plus there is a Mayor's race that we were so close in winning that there is going to be a recount. So that may bring us to 7. A vote for a Libertarian is not a wasted vote. A vote "just because" is IMHO. 

• kelley and Quasar like this

#29 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

I started commenting on here two or three years ago when the "listening sessions" concerning district voting were ongoing. I went to one and was floored by the attitudes of the councilmen that attended. It was, basically, watching them sit there with hands on chins acting bored, watching the clock, and hoping to get it over with. It was also blatantly obvious to me as I sat there, that this issue had the overwhelming support of those in attendance. I personally witnessed the council meeting where it came to a vote and Bob Polston choked on his opportunity to be a leader. Since that time, I tried my best to keep this issue in the forefront of a lot of the council's petty arguing. When I saw the news last night, that the Republicans had taken the council against this group of democrats I was thrilled. And, forth millionth time, I'm a registered Democrat.

Thank you to you folks who took on the job of running. But, the biggest thanks, I think, goes to the voters who made themselves informed and decided no more of the same stuff in Clarksville. The people clearly spoke. Now, let's hope that those that won follow this mandate.

To my friend Sleepy...much respect in defending your positions and candidates. It's what makes this website worth coming back too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users