35 replies to this topic

#21 Hickory Huskers

Hickory Huskers

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

I struggled with this vote....And I don't feel good about it...Probably the only time that's ever happened where I second guessed myself or wish I could have voted differently...Differently in I wish the whole thing had been packaged different and I could have supported it.

I feel I turned my back on public education...Even though my kids spent more time in Catholic school than public ( but with 3 graduating from Jeff High ) I still feel an obligation to the public schools...A pretty big one...My husband and I are both products of them...And my mother and "aunties" were all teachers in GCCS ( and other places ).

This is the only thing I voted for that basically won out...And it makes me sadder than the races my other candidates lost. :( 

Nuts I know.

I hope they're able to rethink it a bit and come back next year with something that's more palatable to more voters.

You shouldn't feel bad.  My father was a career public school principal.  Property tax dollars are what fed me the first 18 years of my life.  I have two kids in GCCS now.  Yet I voted against this.  $109M is a huge amount, and taxpayers can't afford to make a mistake that size in deciding how to spend money.  Would the money have improved the schools?  Very likely, but I believe very strongly that equal or even greater improvements could be made for far less money.  I also felt it was important to send a message to the superintendent and the board that we don't trust them to make such a huge decision for us.  The district needs to show that they can be good stewards of our tax dollars by eliminating unecessary administrative positions and then show some integrity by being more transparent.  Then after that maybe there will be a point where we can support a reasonable plan.

• IntegrityMatters, cindiloohoo, GrumpyGranny and 4 others like this

#22 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

The State of Indiana has made it nearly impossible to raise money to build new schools. Our area is growing but our schools cannot keep up with the demand for much-needed modern facilities.  Our kids have been -- and are -- the big losers. I see nothing to celebrate from Tuesday's referendum.

#23 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

I also felt it was important to send a message to the superintendent and the board that we don't trust them to make such a huge decision for us.  The district needs to show that they can be good stewards of our tax dollars by eliminating unecessary administrative positions and then show some integrity by being more transparent.  Then after that maybe there will be a point where we can support a reasonable plan.

Well said....

• Hickory Huskers likes this

#24 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

The State of Indiana has made it nearly impossible to raise money to build new schools. Our area is growing but our schools cannot keep up with the demand for much-needed modern facilities.  Our kids have been -- and are -- the big losers. I see nothing to celebrate from Tuesday's referendum.

My rule of thumb has always been that if you're

being lied to you vote against them.

• kelley, CaptainPicard and littletommy like this

#25 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

The State of Indiana has made it nearly impossible to raise money to build new schools. Our area is growing but our schools cannot keep up with the demand for much-needed modern facilities. Our kids have been -- and are -- the big losers. I see nothing to celebrate from Tuesday's referendum.

The state does what the people's representatives choose to do. Voters put the caps in the constitution. If local entities want more money to spend, they should spend some time pondering those facts.

Taxpayers aren't going to voluntarily hand over more money to government because people first lie to us, then demonize us. Maybe next time they should try respect.
  • IntegrityMatters, karen, snowman and 2 others like this

#26 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

That's what I mean. :(   

If they can come back with something more specific that doesn't leave so many unanswered questions or the potential of some being hurt more by it than others ( substantially hurt more) then I'll vote for it.

• backinthegame and Hickory Huskers like this

#27 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

Nobodies kids lost anything, except an opportunity to ride a bus further than necessary.
  • cindiloohoo, kelley, karen and 3 others like this

#28 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

Goddam WAVE News!!!

http://www.wave3.com...hool-challenges

A 75% defeat was NOT about taxes!  F'n morons!

Edited by RiverFox, 04 November 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#29 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Goddam WAVE News!!!
http://www.wave3.com...hool-challenges

A 75% defeat was NOT about taxes!  F'n morons!

I was gonna say something about your language... but... well... you're comment was spot on...
  • GrumpyGranny and RiverFox like this

#30 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

If someone believes in the referendum, there is nothing stopping them from writing a check and sending it in.

• kelley, littletommy and TeacherKY like this

#31 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

Dang it, Q!  I wanted to like your post, but I'm all out of "like" buttons! 

• kelley, Quasar and littletommy like this

#32 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

WDRB News @ 10 tonight. 

#33 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

I was gonna say something about your language... but... well... you're comment was spot on...

"A vote no for the referendum is saying no to our children, saying no to some of the futures of southern Indiana,”

said Bill Burns, owner of Re/Max First owner and a Greater Clark County Schools parent.

Yeah ... we hate the children and fear the future.    :thumbsup:

Makes me wonder what properties GCCS was going to buy from Re/Max First for the new schools.

Edited by RiverFox, 04 November 2015 - 08:33 PM.

• cindiloohoo, Quasar, Avid Reader and 3 others like this

#34 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

Still out of "like" buttons!  Q????

Oh, no, WDRB!  Shilling for the administration tax increase and not releasing the statements on transparency, honesty and stewardship. 

I spoke about our support for students and education in general and our commitment to our community schools. That ended up on the cutting floor.

Not sure why I showed up.

In two words, WDRB, "You suck!" 

#35 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

I guess I've never seen any credible evidence that fancy schools contribute to student achievement.  To the contrary, the neighborhood schools such as the ones Melin wanted to close have clearly demonstrated positive effects on student achievement.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, karen and 2 others like this

#36 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:49 PM

Donna -- you did a fine job!   The trouble with tv news is that they have such a very short time span for each story --- too much gets cut.  I think 75% of the voters know the "real story"!  Thank you for speaking up.  

• kelley and karen like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users