21 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

I received an email from one of your sales people stating that there were candidates who requested more time to get submissions in for the Voter's Guide. Would you be willing to share with us the names of those candidates who were unable to get the questionnaire done in time? Or were the submissions he was talking about submissions for advertising?

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 28 October 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#2 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

Russell,

We did not extend the deadline for any candidates to submit responses for the Voters Guide [which comes out tomorrow, by the way]. Some people did not submit responses, and those are noted in the guide. A few candidates requested we use their answers from the spring [for the questions that were the same] in the General Election guide, which was fine by me.

As for the advertising side, I have no idea. It's extremely common for advertising deadlines to be soft. The paper wants the revenue if it has time to get ads in, obviously.

Thanks, Shea.

#3 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The email made it seem as if the deadline had been extended. It seems as if that was just the advertising deadline. Thanks again.

#4 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

Everybody, make sure you pick up the Voter's Guide tomorrow. A lot of work goes in to making it and it has helped me make decisions in past elections. Thanks to the News and Tribune for putting this together.

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 28 October 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#5 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:18 AM

You're welcome. Good luck to all candidates on Election Day.

We did have a good response to the Voters Guide. I think there are 70-some candidates who filled out the questionnaire in Clark and Floyd counties, which is great.

Thanks, Shea.

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:53 AM

I heard the delay was due to one candidate submitting exceptionally long answers which made the Voters' Guide several pages longer than expected and created the need/opportunity to sell more ads.
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#7 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

I heard the delay was due to one candidate submitting exceptionally long answers which made the Voters' Guide several pages longer than expected and created the need/opportunity to sell more ads.

More in-depth answers for the public and more ad revenue for the paper. I call that a win-win.

#8 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

Believe me, there was more than one candidate who submitted long answers ...

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

I would just like to say that I was emailed for advertising (they had my email for that), but not for the questions.  I was told the N&T relies on the county chairs to send out the questionnaire?

Granted, I don't have an opponent, so it's not a big deal but it does make me wonder if I did have an opponent, then what?  The party chairs get to decide which candidates are told and which ones not?

I just don't think it's fair to list candidates as not replying when the N&T doesn't go out of their way to get those responses.  But advertising?  Oh yeah, they sure know how to find you for that!  :no:

#10 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

Tina, in Shea's defense, the address for the questionnaire was put in the paper. I got the questions the old fashioned way. I went to the website and put in faulty info until I had all the questions. Then I left the page without submitting any answers.

#11 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

Believe me, there was more than one candidate who submitted long answers ...

Those were my short answers Shea, lol.

#12 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

Tina, in Shea's defense, the address for the questionnaire was put in the paper. I got the questions the old fashioned way. I went to the website and put in faulty info until I had all the questions. Then I left the page without submitting any answers.

I am even an online subscriber and pay for the paper because I think it serves a needed purpose in this area.

But when we file our candidate paperwork, our contact info is all there. It shouldn't be hard for a journalist to have all that info in one trip to the courthouse, while picking up other info or interviewing someone.

Just saying.

I don't think it is fair to candidates to say they didn't reply when the paper doesn't really make an effort to get the replies. But boy the effort is there to get advertising money!
  • Ruth Ann Rawlings likes this

#13 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Tina,

Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you. Let me explain why. We run notice of these questionnaires in the paper several times before the deadline, post it frequently to social media and distribute the information to party chairs [and independent or Libertarian candidates if we have their email address]. We also do this for EVERY ELECTION.

On the candidate list in front of me, I have email addresses for about half the candidates in Clark County. In Floyd, I have no email addresses, because that information is not provided by the clerk. If I had them all [or nearly all] I would send out a mass email to all candidates, but I don't think it's fair to only email some candidates. Imagine the uproar if we were only sending emails to select candidates.

Also, It's my feeling that at least some responsibility lies with political candidates to read the paper and be proactive. Like I said, we've published this Voters Guide for years and years in the primary and general election. And for the past four election cycles at least, we've used the same method — an online survey which we promote in the paper and on social media.

Thanks, Shea.

• Sleepy likes this

#14 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

Tina,

Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you. Let me explain why. We run notice of these questionnaires in the paper several times before the deadline, post it frequently to social media and distribute the information to party chairs [and independent or Libertarian candidates if we have their email address]. We also do this for EVERY ELECTION.

On the candidate list in front of me, I have email addresses for about half the candidates in Clark County. In Floyd, I have no email addresses, because that information is not provided by the clerk. If I had them all [or nearly all] I would send out a mass email to all candidates, but I don't think it's fair to only email some candidates. Imagine the uproar if we were only sending emails to select candidates.

Also, It's my feeling that at least some responsibility lies with political candidates to read the paper and be proactive. Like I said, we've published this Voters Guide for years and years in the primary and general election. And for the past four election cycles at least, we've used the same method — an online survey which we promote in the paper and on social media.

Thanks, Shea.

Ya'll have my email. I'm a party chair. Don't recall getting this info via email.

I knew about it, and so did my candidates, but I'm pretty sure that's because we saw it in the paper and/or here.
  • Tina likes this

#15 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

Well Kelley, this is another example of the Libertarian Party being treated differently. The Libertarian candidates were contacted directly. Personally, as I stated above, I didn't wait for any email.

#16 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Ya'll have my email. I'm a party chair. Don't recall getting this info via email.

I knew about it, and so did my candidates, but I'm pretty sure that's because we saw it in the paper and/or here.

Kelley,

I'm sorry. It slipped my mind that you were the party chair. I'll make sure to include you next time.

Thanks, Shea.

#17 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

Kelley,

I'm sorry. It slipped my mind that you were the party chair. I'll make sure to include you next time.

Thanks, Shea.

Dude,

If someone made an effort to find any Clark Co. LP chair, they'd have found one. Maybe move to a more methodical process than contacting whomever comes to the editor's mind.

Edited by kelley, 29 October 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#18 sheavanhoy

sheavanhoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

Again, I apologized. Both Russell and Greg responded and are in the guide, so I don't know what else you want from me.

Shea.

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

Again, I apologized. Both Russell and Greg responded and are in the guide, so I don't know what else you want from me.

Shea.

Nothing, and apology accepted.

#20 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

So just to clarify, the paper can make the effort to get advertising revenue from the candidates directly, and even extend a deadline for that, but it's not as important to make sure voters are informed?

There are 2 remaining issues that I see.
1) every candidate has a mailing address &/or phone # on their candidacy forms. (The paper calls for ads so it's not like reaching out is far fetched)
2) You are basically allowing the party chairs to decide which candidates get exposure & which don't. Especially the suburban candidates who may not subscribe.

If #2 is ok with you, I'd like to hear a logical reason why a journalistic newspaper thinks that's ok.

For the record, this isn't about me. I don't have an opponent. I subscribe to the paper & take responsibility for not seeing it. This is just constructive criticism to improve the voter's guide and informing voters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users