74 replies to this topic

#61 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

Yes, they should be worried about doing a great job, but trained help for them would be extremely valuable to all of Clarksville. Department leaders have done a great job recently. But the action and results that the citizens have seen from our town councils for 20 plus years has not always been so perfect. It is greatly improved now, soon possibly better with the mass retirements. But having someone get elected and say"today we do windows - today we do town governance cause people like me" is not better than having a trained professional, as his full time job, working full-time at his Profession that he was trained to do to make the town better and more efficient. Who also has to answer to the people that choose him(town board) to the job and can fire him if he doesn't do it the way they see fit. Clarksville needs good people to be on the town board, but it also needs someone trained to run towns to help.

Department Heads should already have the training to run their departments. If not, then maybe we need to find a different Department Head. Our Town Council should already be examining the budget. I agree that we need someone to tie everything together. We don't need a Town Manager to do that. The job can be accomplished with a Town Executive that has the proper authority and duties assigned to them.

#62 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

How do you know if the most popular of the 4 At-Large candidates has the qualifications to take all that on?
Right now the 7 members can share and help with all the duties.

How do you know if the most popular of the 4 at Large candidates has the time or the desire to take all that on?
Maybe that candidate runs At-Large because that is their best chance to win the election and has no desire or time to be the full time President.

We probably have never had a Town Board Candidate that was truly a well qualified Town Manager.
What are the chances the most popular of the At-Large candidates is or ever will be?
This is not meaning anything bad about any of the current candidates(Rep or Dem), they just don't have full time Town Manager training or experience.

The town manager Clarksville had in the 1970's was not a trained or experienced Town Manager. He was just someone hired to show some over site and report back to the board at a time when Town Board members did not have the time or desire. In the 1970's the Board members were not paid nearly as well, did not get a pension for a part time job, did not get full health insurance for a part time job and did not have a large town hall full of employees doing their leg work. He was the Town Boards Leasion before it was labeled that and spread among the members.

We have seen great improvements and thousands of dollars of savings already from the new leadership at the Street Department. A qualifier and experienced Town Manager should be able to improve on the great job being done there and help do it throughout all the Departments. There was a large figure noted at a town board meeting about 3 years ago about the saving up to that point in the Street Department. It was in the $175,000 range, That alone would cover that alone would pay for a Town Manager. What if those results could be found across all departments? What if the Town Board finally had someone that could be held accountable for major issues that might come up again?

Your repeated assumptions of a two-party scenario in direct response to a Libertarian candidate is a little odd. There could well be 6,7 or 8 at-large candidates in the future, for example. There are several local Libertarian and Independent candidates this year, and given polls show fewer and fewer people identifying with the two old parties, that trend is likely to continue and even escalate.
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#63 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

Under your proposal, a terrible council president will be with us for 4 long years...how do we solve that problem?

One way to solve that problem would be to limit the term to 2 years. The possibilities are endless. What I want is an open dialogue about alternatives instead of the "take it or leave it" approach.

#64 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Your repeated assumptions of a two-party scenario in direct response to a Libertarian candidate is a little odd. There could well be 6,7 or 8 at-large candidates in the future, for example. There are several local Libertarian and Independent candidates this year, and given polls show fewer and fewer people identifying with the two old parties, that trend is likely to continue and even escalate.

There are only 4 Candidates running At-Large this election for town council, if I said the 8 candidates that would be very odd. I was not responding to him as a Libertarian, only as someone who posted to this thread. Russell makes many good points, not all are exactly in line with everyone else's opinions. I'm sure my opinions are not in line with everybody all the time either. My scenario is about is about now. Someday we may have more parties and candidates running for At-Large, but not now. Sorry to not include the future and all scenario's.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#65 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Department Heads should already have the training to run their departments. If not, then maybe we need to find a different Department Head. Our Town Council should already be examining the budget. I agree that we need someone to tie everything together. We don't need a Town Manager to do that. The job can be accomplished with a Town Executive that has the proper authority and duties assigned to them.

Most department heads don't have department head experience, until they are promoted to that position. They may be great for the job, as ours are, but they may not know all the business aspects of their department when the are promoted to that position. The business side brings many possibly new aspects to that persons job. It doesn't make them bad, just maybe not experienced in all aspects of that job. 

#66 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

Most department heads don't have department head experience, until they are promoted to that position. They may be great for the job, as ours are, but they may not know all the business aspects of their department when the are promoted to that position. The business side brings many possibly new aspects to that persons job. It doesn't make them bad, just maybe not experienced in all aspects of that job.

We can't hire someone who has prior experience running, let's say, a wastewater department to run our department? Was our current Fire Chief promoted up from within the ranks of our department or did we hire him as a Fire Chief? My point is this, we have departments. They have people who are in charge of running those departments. So we basically have several specialized town managers right now. What my proposal would do is make one person in charge of those managers and give them one person to take direction from. They would not have to come to the council every time they wanted to hire someone. The council would approve their budget and it would be up to the Town Executive to make sure they stay within that budget and spend that money efficiently. My proposal is not all that different from hiring a Town Manager. The difference is that the people would be choosing this person directly. Want someone who has a degree in town management? Elect one.

#67 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Let me reiterate, my goal is not to cram anything down anyone's throat. I see the good and bad in each scenario (town manager vs status quo). My goal is to facilitate a dialogue that, in the end, leaves us with something that is the best fit for Clarksville. My proposal is just that, a proposal. Where it ends up should be the choice of the council and ultimately the people. I never claimed to have all the answers. I do have questions though and sometimes we need someone willing to ask them.
  • Clarksville Voter likes this

#68 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Education is never a bad thing.

Unfortunately some people stay on or just run for the insurance.

Very Very Sad.

#69 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Who?  Or are you making it up?  Again.

• GrumpyGranny and Clarksville Voter like this

#70 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

Education is never a bad thing.

Very Very Sad.

I agree, but education does takes many forms, wouldn't you agree?

As far as running for office just to get the benefits, I also agree that is sad. I can't judge the hearts of other people. All I can tell you is that as far as I'm concerned I'm running because I want to serve, not be served.
  • Clarksville Voter likes this

#71 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

Sleepy, how does your guy's degree relate to the job of town councilman?

Sleepy?  Did ya overlook this?  Are you asleep out there?

Edited by TomD, 27 October 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#72 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

I agree, but education does takes many forms, wouldn't you agree?

Agree.  If I have a diesel that needs work, you can bet I won't be calling on any of the candidates with degrees in communications or phys. ed. or liberal arts...I'll be looking for a good diesel mechanic...someone educated, trained, and experienced in diesel repair.  Know anyone?

#73 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

Agree. If I have a diesel that needs work, you can bet I won't be calling on any of the candidates with degrees in communications or phys. ed. or liberal arts...I'll be looking for a good diesel mechanic...someone educated, trained, and experienced in diesel repair. Know anyone?

Are you saying that a person educated in communications can't be educated in the inner workings of a Diesel engine as well? Do you have to have a piece of paper in order to be educated? Does having a piece of paper automatically mean you are educated?

Personally, I don't like to put people in boxes. I have met some very intelligent people who never graduated eighth grade and some pretty dumb ones that have college degrees.

I'll say it again. Education comes in many forms.

#74 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:52 AM

Tom D 

My guys degree enabled him to be a National trainer

for the YMCA in 20 plus areas.  He trained in Business Management,

Staffing Dynamics and many Budget areas.  All of these areas are relevant 

skills that could be used as a councilperson.   

A degree is a stepping stone.  Having a degree enabled him to be hired as the Redevelopment Director

at Charlestown, I think that is definitely  helpful to be a councilperson.

A person without a College Degree could not be a YMCA Director, and could not be a Redevelopment Director.

I hope this helps you Tom understand why a degree is so important.

Can you be a councilperson without a degree YES you can.  

My point has always been Education is a plus.

Russell is correct Education can come in many forms, Education is always a plus.

TOMD  Would you hire a Town Manager without a degree??????????????????

Edited by Sleepy, 28 October 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#75 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:23 AM

Have many of you have had candidates knocking at your door recently, wanting to introduce themselves? Four years ago not one candidate was on our street as far as I know...no knocks, no flyers left on the door. I was beginning to think this year was going to be the same.

We had one candidate or his representative on our block a few weeks ago. Funny thing is, he or his representative left a flyer on the house next door to us, but did not knock on our door or leave a flyer...I'm still scratching my head over that!

Today there was a candidate on our block, knocking on every door...yeah, I'm nosey, I watched him! We went out on the porch and spent probably 20 minutes or more talking with him; asking him questions and listening closely to his answers. We appreciated him taking time to stop by and chat with us.

Thank you, Russell Brooksbank, for including our street in your door to door campaigning and for taking time to really talk with us!

Granny, a couple of campaigns I have been involved in have had the mindset that they should only knock on the doors of those that have voted for their "party" in the last election. Not all, but some are that narrow minded. I always suggest walking without the list, but I can't force them to take my advice!
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users