36 replies to this topic

#1 Dougie

Dougie

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

Had breakfast with a friend that is highly involved with Democrat party. Apparently the Republicans have been out beating the bushes and have exceeded the Democrats in absentee ballots requests in Charlestown.

His predictions knowing the absentee ballot request tally.

Bob Hall solidly over Sheppard

Coomer solidly over Sawyer

Barnes big over Roberts- Big absentee advantage for Barnes/Democrats

Little over Ennis- Absentees are close. Majority of registered voters in district are Republicans

Aaron and Ledbetter toss up- Few more Republican absentee request than Dems in this district

Hester solid over Rawlings- she is hardly even trying and Republicans have absentee ballots lead.

Vaughn barely beats James- With absentee ballots even, Republicans usually have turn out advantage on election day voters.

#2 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:10 PM

Republicans have been out in full force. Someone told me I needed to call Donna Coomer and have her bring me a ballot and she would even fill it out for me. I told her I didn't know who I was voting for and she didn't like that much. I hope people get out and vote. I don't think some of the Democrats have been campaigning as much as they should.

#3 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

The state of Indiana does NOT list party affiliation on voter registration.  The only record would be which ballot (Republican or Democrat) that the voter filed during a primary vote.  General elections, including absentee ballots, include all office seekers. 

• Lady Phoenix and Cheryl L Ross like this

#4 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

In the primary, democrats were heavily asking for absentee ballots. 

I'm with Donna, there is no party affiliation on the general election.  Is someone cross checking names with the primary ballot taken?

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

#5 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:53 AM

I'll tell my kids and grandkids (who have been helping me) that we're hardly even trying.
  • Quasar, Cheryl L Ross and Donna like this

#6 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

In my post the key word is some. None of my business but Democratic mayor is spending way to much time out of town with an election coming up. This is the time to be out meeting people and really talking to them. You never know when that one person will make a difference
  • GrumpyGranny and moose like this

#7 Riverlover

Riverlover

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

I haven't seen anything from the Democrats at all in the district I live in. No flyers, no visits, nothing. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen my current council rep, ever. 

#8 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

Who is your Council rep?
  • Riverlover likes this

#9 Riverlover

Riverlover

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

Ruth Ann Rawlings

#10 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

Same here riverlover. Republicans have been around several times. I don't want flyers...I want to be able to ask a question or two. Our town appears to be in trouble either way this goes.

#11 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

Sorry I haven't made it to your home. My phone number is 812 207-7011. Email is Ruthann.rawlings@twc.com. If you're not comfortable calling or emailing, post your questions and/or concerns here and I'll do my best to address them.
  • GrumpyGranny, CityBoy and Donna like this

#12 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

Just have a couple of questions.....a couple may be some that u wouldn't know yet...might be up to mayor to decide.

1. What would you be for to help the Pleasent Ridge Area?
2. Would u be willing to keep using chemicals in water until filteration plant could be built?
3. Who would be most likely to write grants?
4 Would you want to keep up the sprinkler park and train?
5. Would u be for keeping a beautification committee? Plan if most people quit?
6. Would you happen to know if Shepard would be a full time mayor?
7. Would you be for or against keeping current city workers?

Thanks

#13 Boss Lady

Boss Lady

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

In my post the key word is some. None of my business but Democratic mayor is spending way to much time out of town with an election coming up. This is the time to be out meeting people and really talking to them. You never know when that one person will make a difference

.....you do know that you can get on his Facebook site and ask him any question you would like answered right? I'm pretty sure there was a pig roast that you could have went to and asked everyone of the democratic team questions. I understand that the people running have families to take care of and can't walk around every day and personally I don't see how walking around is going to determine getting a vote. And also me getting fliers in the mail box every other day is getting annoying especially when I have a big Jeff shepherd sign by it. So maybe just maybe you can get off of chatter and go to Facebook and send him the question you would liked answered or when you see him around town sit down and talk to him or you should how joined in on the get togethers he had to find out some information you are wanting

Edited by Boss Lady, 24 October 2015 - 11:09 PM.

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

#14 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:04 AM

masey, thanks for your questions.

1.  Everyone agrees something needs to happen in Pleasant Ridge.  I don't believe total demolition and turning the properties over to a private developer is the answer.  I've met many folks who live in the subdivision who do not want to move.  Dan James and I are working with the Pleasant Ridge Neighborhood Association to determine what would be the best means/methods of addressing the revitalization of Pleasant Ridge.  We have developed assessment tools to determine what needs to be done and with that information will seek funding, sweat equity, donations to help the area.  Landlords need to be held accountable.  The mayor was asked to participate in this endeavor and he declined.

2.  I would support continuing to add chemicals to our water until a filtration plant could be built.

3.  I feel the city would need to hire or contract with an experienced grant writer to achieve the maximum benefit.

4.  The Family Activity Park is operational and would need to remain open.  Same with the train, but I do have a problem with the train being used for political gain. 

5.  The Beautification Committee provides a great service to the City and I hope it continues.  Have you heard that many will resign?  For what reasons?

6.  Jeff Sheperd has retired from his dispatcher position.  Yes, he will be a full time mayor.

7.  I have a great amount of respect for the majority of the City's employees.  I feel employees should be retained based on their quality of work.  That being said, personnel issues are not under the umbrella of the City Council.  The Mayor, as the Executive is in charge in that respect. 

Hope this answers your questions.  Please let me know if you need more information. 

#15 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for answering Ruth Ann....forgot to ask about CLIFF in our night school. Are you for or against?

I haven't heard anything about the people on the beautification but it stands to reason that a lot would quit. Ted Little and Donna Coomer are over it and most of the people that remain are for Bob Hall. They say it isn't political but don't believe that for a second. I love the way our town looks and is improving. The beautification has done wonders for the town. I did belong to it at one time. Bob Hall has also done wonders for the town but I don't like that he felt he could make people sale homes and move. That was just way to much.

#16 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hi Boss Lady,

No I didn't know Shepard had a Facebook page but not all people have Facebook. I would not rely on that to get elected. Walking around passing out flyers doesn't make much of a difference but talking with people will.

Boss Lady, I was at the pig roast and I was greeted by 2 of the people running. I was hoping some of the speeches would cover more than they did. Before I was leaving I wanted to talk with some of them and pictures were being taken. They lost an opportunity and so did I. Meeting new people will be a deal breaker in this election.

People don't like what Bob Hall tried to do and especially the way he went about it but they don't know if Jeff Shepard is up to the job. He needs to be telling more for what he can do than just a swimming pool and less Christmas lights. We need someone than can converse with other towns and businesses. I hear he is a very nice person and that is a plus.

In the mean time I guess I will just Chatter on....didn't mean to hit a nerve with you.

#17 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

Boss Lady,
Am I reading this wrong that you have a Jeff Shepard sign in your yard and in another thread Pleasant Ridge to be Razed you said you supported Bob Hall?

#18 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

masey, do you mean CEEF?  It is a separate private foundation and not administered by the City. 

#19 Boss Lady

Boss Lady

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

Boss Lady,
Am I reading this wrong that you have a Jeff Shepard sign in your yard and in another thread Pleasant Ridge to be Razed you said you supported Bob Hall?

your reading it wrong or there was a terrible typo somewhere....I do not support hall

#20 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

Sorry Ruth Ann...yes CEEF. I know it is not run by the city but kids go to city hall to pick up $100 after they get enrolled and classes set for school. I know not city's money but collected through there and also the banners picked up at A & E. City has been big supporter in time and effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users