237 replies to this topic

#221 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

i guess it's not made it to "scandal" status yet. give it time.

#222 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

i guess it's not made it to "scandal" status yet. give it time.

A law has to be scandalous to be published? How does one know if they're in compliance if they can't refer to the law? Besides executives making law with their pens now, can they just skip the pen, hold a press conference and make us obey whatever comes out of their mouth?
  • Quasar, CityBoy and Russell Brooksbank like this

#223 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

I've yet to see the order... I can't find it... 

I thought it was an "action", not an "order".

• kelley and Quasar like this

#224 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

I thought it was an "action", not an "order".

Right. It looks more and more like this was just an announcement they're gonna actually enforce a little more of what is already on the books. Dude called the media and cried over what could have as easily been a memo. Drama queen.
  • Quasar, CityBoy, grammy and 3 others like this

#225 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:22 AM

A law has to be scandalous to be published? How does one know if they're in compliance if they can't refer to the law? Besides executives making law with their pens now, can they just skip the pen, hold a press conference and make us obey whatever comes out of their mouth?

of course not... that was tongue in cheek. i guess i'm the only one who got that. and that's ok.

i was more surprised than anything that people keep saying they can't find this stuff.

https://www.whitehou...ce-and-make-our

Edited by snowman, 15 January 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#226 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

That's hilarious.

Yes, a memo.
  • Quasar likes this

#227 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

Why is that hilarious?  Because it's not an Order that y'all can blast him over for going around Congress?

Yes, we do have background checks now for gun dealers, but not all gun purchases.  Some gun sellers that are not considered a gun dealer now are selling more than the usual amount of guns, to who knows who because there is no check.

This is is really a sensible approach, getting the agencies to weigh in and Congress to be involved in crafting something that works on many levels, tightening the background check rules to investigate more of the purchases, increase mental health spending. 

#228 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Why is that hilarious? Because it's not an Order that y'all can blast him over for going around Congress?

Yes, we do have background checks now for gun dealers, but not all gun purchases. Some gun sellers that are not considered a gun dealer now are selling more than the usual amount of guns, to who knows who because there is no check.
This is is really a sensible approach, getting the agencies to weigh in and Congress to be involved in crafting something that works on many levels, tightening the background check rules to investigate more of the purchases, increase mental health spending.

The hilarious part is that this does nothing new. He was the one that made a big deal about it. He cried. Dems swooned. He didn't actually do anything but give another speech and tell his underlings to do their jobs.
  • Quasar and CityBoy like this

#229 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

Oh, I think the right has been whining for months about an executive order on guns that was coming... Disappointed i guess. 

Sounds like you didn't read it much if you think it's nothing new.

#230 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

. He didn't actually do anything but give another speech and tell his underlings to do their jobs.

Without any additional funding...

• kelley likes this

#231 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:56 AM

Oh, I think the right has been whining for months about an executive order on guns that was coming... Disappointed i guess.

Sounds like you didn't read it much if you think it's nothing new.

Which part is new?

#232 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Without any additional funding...

That would have to go through Congress.

Congress should support the President’s request for resources for 200 new ATF agents and investigators

to help enforce our gun laws, as well as a new $500 million investment to address mental health issues.

Edited by RiverFox, 15 January 2016 - 11:26 AM.

• woo likes this

#233 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

Which part is new?

every one of those points has new components.

#234 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

Wanted to post this before it slipped my mind. (which happens more every year)

WASHINGTON – The Transportation Security Administration announced Thursday

it discovered a record 2,653 guns last year at airport checkpoints.

The total represented a 20% increase from the 2,212 found in 2014.

The discoveries represent a steady increase from 660 guns found in 2005 through 1,123 in 2010.

http://www.usatoday....oints/79111456/

Here are 2,653 people who shouldn't be allowed to dress themselves much less have a firearm.

What's the intelligence level of someone who takes a gun through an airport terminal?   :hmm: 

Edited by RiverFox, 21 January 2016 - 05:12 PM.

• Col-Arthur likes this

#235 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

Here are 2,653 people who shouldn't be allowed to dress themselves much less have a firearm.

What's the intelligence level of someone who takes a gun through an airport terminal?   :hmm:

My guess is that it is mostly people who carry a firearm everyday, for whom it becomes such a normal part of the daily routine that it is easy to overlook when heading to the airport.

See also: people who leave children locked in hot cars. Daily habits can easily override clear thought.

On the other hand, once you've emptied your pockets, taken off your shoes, and put everything in the tray it is hard to imagine you'd forget to remember you are carrying a firearm.

• kelley likes this

#236 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

I know a guy who did this... business guy that forgot he had a revolver in his brief case. Sent it through the security scanner on the conveyor belt... cost him $20k in legal fees to keep from being convicted... he checks his carry on items more closely now... 

Pretty intelligent successful dude... just made a bad mistake... as far as I can tell, he seems to do ok dressing himself... 

#237 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

My guess is that it is mostly people who carry a firearm everyday, for whom it becomes such a normal

part of the daily routine that it is easy to overlook when heading to the airport.

No.  Responsible gun owners know where all of their firearms are at any given moment. 

See also: people who leave children locked in hot cars. Daily habits can easily override clear thought.

Yep. And generally they go to jail. 

"a normal part of the daily routine", "overlook" or "forgot" are not terms that should be associated with firearms.

That's how accidental shootings happen. Incompetence.

Edited by RiverFox, 23 January 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#238 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

No. Responsible gun owners know where all of their firearms are at any given moment.

Yep. And generally they go to jail.

"a normal part of the daily routine", "overlook" or "forgot" are not terms that should be associated with firearms.
That's how accidental shootings happen. Incompetence.

I prefer the term "negligent"...
  • RiverFox likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users