#1 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:57 AM

http://www.newsandtr...9f6dc7628e.html

This article states there will be a cycling/walking lane on this new bridge. First I've heard of that. Wouldn't you need to be walking/cycling on an expressway to get there?  Seems weird.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#2 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

The pedestrian path will be to the side and separated from the traffic lanes by a concrete barrier. This page has two illustrations. I assume that there will be separate ramps for traffic and pedestrians to reach the bridge.

• snowman and Donna like this

#3 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

thanks for posting!

#4 littletommy

littletommy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

This is a little off topic kinda, but if you've ever been to Hoover Dam, or been there in the last few years, anyway, the new bridge just west of the dam has a pedestrian lane, and it is located on an interstate highway. The access to it is completely separate from the rest of the highway. The whole point of THAT particular pedestrian lane is to get a good view of the dam itself.

All that being said, I think it's pretty dumb to eat up automobile traffic lanes just to create bike lanes, the trend seems to be, "hey, let's make all our major thoroughfares narrower". I haven't heard about this on the east end bridge, but it would make better sense if it was the downtown bridge.
  • CityBoy likes this

#5 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

This is a little off topic kinda, but if you've ever been to Hoover Dam, or been there in the last few years, anyway, the new bridge just west of the dam has a pedestrian lane, and it is located on an interstate highway. The access to it is completely separate from the rest of the highway. The whole point of THAT particular pedestrian lane is to get a good view of the dam itself.

All that being said, I think it's pretty dumb to eat up automobile traffic lanes just to create bike lanes, the trend seems to be, "hey, let's make all our major thoroughfares narrower". I haven't heard about this on the east end bridge, but it would make better sense if it was the downtown bridge.

Sounds like a new 15 mile route for the bicyclists!  I see bike lanes being painted on Utica Pike and people with pointy helmets and tight britches holding up traffic............  All facilitated by our tax dollars, (mostly gas tax which bicycles don't pay).  Then in 20 or 30 years Medicare will use our tax money again to treat their testicular or prostate cancer.

#6 Buckeye

Buckeye

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

Personally, I love the idea of bicycle/pedestrian lanes! Can't wait to be able to walk across that bridge!  I hope to one day see pedestrian/bicycle lanes all over the city and county. Great way to get exercise - a lot of those bicycle riders are professionals and compete in a lot of races. Those people that competed in the Iron Man competition last week were amazing. There were thousands of bicycles parked down in Louisville for the 2nd leg of the race, and they costs thousands of dollars each. Those bicycle riders come from all walks of life....Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, construction workers, librarians,  etc. No, bicycles don't pay gas tax, but the vehicles those bike riders drive do. Personally, I think your comment about Medicare was a bit much, but, who am I to say?  

• snowman and Donna like this

#7 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:00 PM

Personally, I love the idea of bicycle/pedestrian lanes! Can't wait to be able to walk across that bridge!  I hope to one day see pedestrian/bicycle lanes all over the city and county. Great way to get exercise - a lot of those bicycle riders are professionals and compete in a lot of races. Those people that competed in the Iron Man competition last week were amazing. There were thousands of bicycles parked down in Louisville for the 2nd leg of the race, and they costs thousands of dollars each. Those bicycle riders come from all walks of life....Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, construction workers, librarians,  etc. No, bicycles don't pay gas tax, but the vehicles those bike riders drive do. Personally, I think your comment about Medicare was a bit much, but, who am I to say?  

Our roads were built largely with fuel taxes. I'm all for bike paths.  Just put an excise tax on each of those overpriced $1000+ bicycles to pay for a path separate from the highways.  Those that use roads/ paths should pay for them.  Not those of us that could NEVER afford to pay $1000+ for a bicycle.

Edited by Oldgoat, 16 October 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

Drove by the east end bridge site this morning.  Will there be ramps available for locals to access the bridge?

I'm with Buckeye, I think it is very cool that pedestrians and bikers get a lane.  Just wondered if they would have local access.

#9 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

The way that thing looks, the access will need to be up on top, near the roadway, high above Utica. I'm not familiar with how it looks up there and where/how it would lead back down.

I can't imagine riding a bike way out there, but I suppose in 20 years it could look like downtown.

#10 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:15 AM

This has a cool overview. https://youtu.be/mfs578Evru0

• karen, thirsty and Donna like this

#11 HouseFullOfBoys

HouseFullOfBoys

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

Ok dumb question here... Will walkers and Bikers have to pay a toll to use the bridge just like those of us using cars/trucks?

• Dougie likes this

#12 wanda

wanda

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

No tolls on the 2nd St. bridge as yet.

#13 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

The current plan is for the Clark and Minton bridges to remain toll-free indefinitely.

#14 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

Ok dumb question here... Will walkers and Bikers have to pay a toll to use the bridge just like those of us using cars/trucks?

Seeing as how it will be an electronic system, without any humans present, I would guess ....no.

#15 Pesty Version 2

Pesty Version 2

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

Drove by the east end bridge site this morning.  Will there be ramps available for locals to access the bridge?

I'm with Buckeye, I think it is very cool that pedestrians and bikers get a lane.  Just wondered if they would have local access.

This can give you an idea: https://www.google.c...m1!1e3?hl=en-US

• Donna likes this

#16 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

They can't toll the Clark. From my understanding,once a bridge was tolled, as was the Clark and that toll is removed, as it was, it cannot be reinstated.

#17 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

What upsets me about the bikers and the bike lanes are the fact that the city has allotted so much space for the lanes it really narrows the car lanes down.
The Louisville mayor is a bike enthusiast and bike lanes are high on his agenda therefore they are popping up all over the city and angering many citizens.
It is utterly beyond me why the Clark Bridge does not designate one pedestrian side for bikes and one for people.
Bikers say...oh the walking lane is too narrow! Well you don't think a thing about narrowing down the car lane do you? The width of the bridge is not that much...SLOW DOWN!
No way on earth would I ride out there with those thousands of pounds of vehicles trying their best to whip their way around me especially with ticked off, irritated drivers behind the wheel.
The other thing is that bicycle riders do not have to obey traffic lights, stop signs or rights of way.
They demand use of the streets the same as cars but are above following the same laws.
Cars must be licensed and insured but bicyclists get a free pass on this too.
Not only does a car driver have to be on the alert for pedestrians, animals, people on cellphones, careless drivers but they have to be ready for a bicycle cutting in front of them to change lanes.
Of course if one is hit no way would it be the riders fault...OH NO! It would be the poor car driver for not paying attention and not hitting his brakes fast enough. BS!
I am fully aware there are responsible riders out there but the offenders are largely young youths...you know the ones, the ones who are ' going to live forever'.
Personally I don't ride an unmotorized 2 wheeler anymore , but if I did I wouldn't trust my life to a few painted lines on a street.

Edited by jiyabird, 01 November 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#18 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

I drive a four wheeled, motorized vehicle, and I don't trust painted lines to keep me safe. 

I always walk my bike across the 2nd Street bridge on the pedestrian sidewalk.  Too hard to pedal up to the bridge and the downside was too extreme for my faint heart.

• jiyabird likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users