29 replies to this topic

#21 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

So easy to get the sheep to follow. I thought I would need to break out the dems game plan favorite. "Trust Me(with a wink)"

Please explain what you mean by this.

#22 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

Russell you wrote 3 sentences and got someone to change their feelings on a post. You said something very simply and it worked. Similar to the very general and really say nothing "Contract with Clarksville". "Trust me" is pretty much the platform for some politicians. You say what you think without trying to be vague on issues. Good or bad for your election chances, you don't shy away. All candidates should do better a better job of that. The sheep part was someone that just follows without wanting opinions on issues from those who they vote for or support

#23 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

I read the Contract very different.  To me it has issues and actions.

#24 themascot

themascot

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:06 AM

I received a piece of campaign literature for John Gilkey on my door over the weekend and would like to point out some downright “untruths” on it. On this piece it states Mr. Gilkey as “protecting south end residents as development moves into planning & construction.”

Gilkey has NOT protected the south end residents. I was told that he did attend a rally that took place in the summer.  I, as well as Mr. Gilkey, attended several meetings where this development topic was heavily discussed.  He has had MANY opportunities to speak out against this development and speak out for these people of the south end whose property the Town is going to take, but he NEVER has.

Actually, have you seen or heard ANY of these democrat candidates speak up for these citizens? I certainly have not.

This same piece of literature states that “I’ve hired a new police chief, new street commissioner, and new redevelopment director.” These new hires were a combined effort of others on the town council, not just Gilkey.

As of yesterday they still consider it a "Concept" with no real details available.   As such we can't say houses will be taken via eminent domain nor can wed say they won't.

The only concrete information we have is having one of those involved saying since the improvements are in a TIF district the property taxes of those in that area could escalate as much as 3 times what they are paying now.

Also as I understand it only candidate David Ross has indicated he's against eminent domain.

As for Gilkey I believe he's in charge of "Disinformation Central" and you are correct in pointing out is real actions or lack thereof and involvement or lack thereof.

#25 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

As of yesterday they still consider it a "Concept" with no real details available. As such we can't say houses will be taken via eminent domain nor can wed say they won't.

The only concrete information we have is having one of those involved saying since the improvements are in a TIF district the property taxes of those in that area could escalate as much as 3 times what they are paying now.

Also as I understand it only candidate David Ross has indicated he's against eminent domain.

As for Gilkey I believe he's in charge of "Disinformation Central" and you are correct in pointing out is real actions or lack thereof and involvement or lack thereof.

Russell Brooksbank has stated his strong opposition to the use of eminent domain, was one of the key organizers of the rally held to inform and support residents and has worked to attend most relevant meetings while the concept planners attempted to intimidate and otherwise thwart his efforts.
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#26 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

I don't think you will find any politician in favor of eminent domain.

#27 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

I don't think you will find any politician in favor of eminent domain.

Yet they don't mind using it.

#28 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

When???

Are you assuming?

Which politician used it?

Give us the facts.

Edited by Sleepy, 20 October 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#29 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:29 AM

First, that was a general statement about politicians responding to your general statement about politicians.

Second, the word "condemnation" has been used in work sessions and committee meetings concerning the west side development.

My point is that you say that no politician is in favor of eminent domain, yet it does get used. If nobody was in favor of it then it would not get used.

For the record, I am against eminent domain and I support the right to private property.

#30 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

I hear ya Brother

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users