29 replies to this topic

#1 miami vice

miami vice

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

I received a piece of campaign literature for John Gilkey on my door over the weekend and would like to point out some downright “untruths” on it. On this piece it states Mr. Gilkey as “protecting south end residents as development moves into planning & construction.”

Gilkey has NOT protected the south end residents. I was told that he did attend a rally that took place in the summer.  I, as well as Mr. Gilkey, attended several meetings where this development topic was heavily discussed.  He has had MANY opportunities to speak out against this development and speak out for these people of the south end whose property the Town is going to take, but he NEVER has.

Actually, have you seen or heard ANY of these democrat candidates speak up for these citizens? I certainly have not.

This same piece of literature states that “I’ve hired a new police chief, new street commissioner, and new redevelopment director.” These new hires were a combined effort of others on the town council, not just Gilkey.

#2 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Have you seen or heard any Republican candidates speaking up for them as well? I haven't.

#3 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

Was it proposed?

Which parcels?

Miami Vice posted about John Gilkey:

"He has had MANY opportunities

to speak out against this development

and speak out for these people of the south end

whose property the Town is going to take, but he NEVER has [ done so] ."

I missed any property that was designated

as planned to be "taken" and for what specific use?

What private property is being taken by eminent domain

without the approval of a property owner?

Which parcels are they?

Was there a planning proposal shown?

We all would like to know if that is planned.

What would be the town's utilization or private redevelopment if this is actually true?

Edited by Savile Row, 11 October 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#4 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:09 PM

Former
Clarksville Redevelopment
Director Richard E. Dickman worked
very diligently  for Clarksville in various capacities for a long time.
He was allegedly forced out by several town council members over political games.
Mr. Dickman was involved in putting together a very nice previous plan for development
in the area known as 'Clark's Landing'.

Due to the downturn in the economy, the town never went forward with it.
The owners of the parcels that were to impacted were involved in the planning
from day one and they were all on board and very eager to see the new revitalization occur.
They had significant input.

If the current leadership has not involved the property owners,
then they and the current  redevelopment director
may have made unwise decisions.
Did that occur? There seems to have been public input.

Richard Dickman has stated that he would have had the property owners
 involved and participating.

Can someone tell us which are planned to be taken for a forced eminent domain re-use?
Are there actually any?
Is this factual?
The expanded plan that has been released to the media looks very nice.
I could not tell  if there were any property that was to taken
voluntarily or involuntarily.

Edited by Savile Row, 11 October 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#5 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Remember,

that planned road and infrastructure improvements

are far different than the taking of private property under government eminent domain.

The 'Clarks Landing' project had lots of citizen input orchestrated by Mr. Dickman.

The 'South Clarksville' proposed project looks larger. Both seem to be early

conceptual idea from which to work.

They both appear to be very good initial preliminary planning overlay ideas.

Edited by Savile Row, 11 October 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

Last I heard, no one should criticize the plan as using eminent domain because eminent domain is not in the plan and also because the plan isn't finished yet. Word also is it's an ongoing, transparent process in which the non-connected taxpayers and property owners are not welcome at planning meetings.
  • Russell Brooksbank likes this

#7 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

Ah, here is some information.
It looks very detailed.

South Clarksville Redevelopment Area
Click:
http://www.townofcla...ksvilleplan.php

May 12
Envision South Clarksville posted
What do you envision for the South Clarksville Area?
Share your insights and ideas for the South Clarksville Redevelopment Area at the project's online community engagement site: Envision South Clarksville. Join the discussion by clicking the respond button below.

#8 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

South Clarksville Redevelopment Plan

The first community workshop for the South Clarksville Redevelopment Plan was held on May 28th at Water Tower Square. Approximately 40 participants attended, representing area residents, business owners, property owners and others interested in the future of the South Clarksville Area. The planning team introduced the community to the planning process, shared initial findings and ideas about emerging opportunities, and described a draft vision and goals for the area.

Participants engaged in small group discussions about the vision, opportunities and issues that should be addressed by the plan, and then shared their ideas back with the audience.

Thanks to all who attended, and if you were unable to attend, you can join in the online discussion by clicking the RESPOND button to the left.

#9 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

South Clarksville Redevelopment Plan

The Town of Clarksville has engaged MKSK, an urban planning and design firm, to create a comprehensive redevelopment plan for approximately 320 acres of land in the southeastern-most point of Clarksville along the Ohio River and directly across from downtown Louisville. The area is generally bounded by the Clarksville-Jeffersonville corporate boundary and Interstate 65 to the east, the Ohio River to the south, the L&I railroad and Clark Boulevard to the west, and Stansifer Avenue to the north. The area includes the historic Colgate factory, the Marathon bulk oil site, the Water Tower Square complex, Clarion Hotel, Louisville Metro KOA campground, Derby Dinner Playhouse, and a variety of commercial, industrial, residential, and civic uses.

This project will build on previous planning efforts for the Clark's Landing and West Riverfront Areas, and will establish a market-based strategy to implement a successful transformation of both public spaces and private development in this important part of Clarksville.

#10 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

Here's some good coverage by the Newsandtribune:

Clarksville residents, officials hear goals for south town redevelopment
Planning team proposes improvements to infrastructure,
image for south part of town

Friday, May 29, 2015

By DANIELLE GRADY

CLARKSVILLE — Parts of South Clarksville could be the next Newport, Ky., or at least a bustling addendum to the Louisville metropolitan area.

That’s the picture that those familiar with a redevelopment project portrayed to the public at the South Clarksville Redevelopment Plan Community Workshop on Thursday night.

http://www.newsandtr...551bcb10d0.html

#11 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

Colgate preservation
The former Colgate-Palmolive Co. plant — pictured in this file photo — would likely be part of any redevelopment in South Clarksville

A nice Newsandtribune picture of the old prison/Colgate façade:
 http://www.newsandtr...e=image&photo=0

#12 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

Yet they keep trying to exclude the public from their steering committee meetings. What are they trying to hide?

#13 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

It's obvious Mr. Gilkey thinks the Southend residents need protecting. I've just never seen proof of him doing so during any meeting I've been privy to. Why would Mr. Gilkey make it a point to add such a thing to his campaign literature? He obviously wants people to believe that is what he is doing. I think that statement on his flyer is disingenuous at best.

#14 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

Russell

I totally agree with your statement about Gilkey not hiring the Chief alone.

You seem to be the first person on here that understands it takes 4 votes to get this done.

Yet the Republicans claim since they have a Liaison to to the department they are responsible

for all the good.  We have a liaison for every department as well.

If you like the hires thank the Council, council is currently made up of 5 Democrats and 2 Republicans.

Russell, Gilkey was not the first person to take credit for Council work.  You need to read brochures for both sides.

#15 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Town departments in Clarksville were stagnant and loose with town operations for 30 years. Look at the bad State audits Clarksville had 5 or 6 years ago. Look at the 1 million dollars that was stolen from the street department over 20 years. 2 Republicans did not change things alone, but they were the ones finally there so the gang had to have some accountability. If the state did not find those issues they might have never been found. Who was asleep at the wheel? Answer: The old dems that finally made some great changes, but only because of being outed and having 2 Republicans standing over them. Why do you think it is so important for the NEW DEMS to try to seperate themselves by using the "new" slogan. Anywhere but Clarksville someone would have been found criminally responsible for those issues. Yes, one person plead guilty, but no one of Clarksville(elected or employed in a department) was ever found responsible. Who was in control, but not in control. Or were they?

Edited by Clarksville Voter, 12 October 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#16 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

Russell
I totally agree with your statement about Gilkey not hiring the Chief alone.

You seem to be the first person on here that understands it takes 4 votes to get this done.

Yet the Republicans claim since they have a Liaison to to the department they are responsible

for all the good. We have a liaison for every department as well.

If you like the hires thank the Council, council is currently made up of 5 Democrats and 2 Republicans.

Russell, Gilkey was not the first person to take credit for Council work. You need to read brochures for both sides.

I cannot take credit for mentioning that it takes 4 votes. That wasn't me. I do agree with the statement though. I realize that the Republicans play those games also. I'm tired of the same old from both the Democrat and Republican parties, and I think a lot of people feel the same way.

Getting back to the original premise of this thread, my beef is with Mr. Gilkey claiming that he is some sort of champion for those in the Southend Redevelopment Plan. I have been to a lot of meetings and I have yet to hear him stand up for the rights of any of those people. If he was such a champion then why was it that nobody had a clue that they were in a redevopment area let alone that there had already been meetings discussing it? Seems to me a champion would have sounded the alarm.

#17 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Clarksville Voter

If it was bad Blame the Council

If it was good Praise the Council.

It takes more then two people to change a situation.

Give some credit to both sides at least.

Russell I see what you are saying about Gilkey

Looks like Clarksville Voter believes one or two guys

can do it all.

Praise em Or Blame EM

Edited by Sleepy, 12 October 2015 - 10:37 AM.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#18 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:45 PM

Sleepy, I think you and Clarksville Voter may actually agree with each other more than you two think. He even stated that "2 Republicans did not change things alone." There is some commonality there.

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 12 October 2015 - 11:46 PM.

• Sleepy likes this

#19 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

Then I do Agree....

#20 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

So easy to get the sheep to follow. I thought I would need to break out the dems game plan favorite. "Trust Me(with a wink)"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users