Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Russell

The people voted No to Mayor

Is your opinion they want town Manager

at a Higher salary then a mayor would cost?

According to your words, the people want it to stay as is. You say they don't want a Mayor, and as far as a Town Manager is concerned you say "If this is true I am not sure if the people want this or not." That implies to me that you believe that the people want to maintain the status quo. What is your opinion? What do you think should be done?

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 08 October 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#22 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

Saville Row, I would love to answer that question, but I don't have enough information at this time to make a public statement as to who I would vote for. I haven't spoken with everyone so I'm currently undecided.

#23 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

I think we can look at candidates Bio s and see who has

held leadership roles in similar positions.   Leadership roles

in anything.

I guess I gotta do some research.

#24 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

I think we can look at candidates Bio s and see who has
held leadership roles in similar positions. Leadership roles
in anything.

I guess I gotta do some research.

Okay, I nominate me. I have experience on councils. I was President of my neighborhood youth council. I have held leadership positions. I've been an Assistant Regional Sales Manager, a business owner and a Chief Union Steward. You can find my bio here: http://www.electbroo....com/about.html

#25 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

The town council
member that serves
as the person exercising
Executive Branch powers
will be elected by the entire membership of the council.
There are Libertarian Party, Democrat Party, and Republican Party candidates running for the seven seats.

The political insiders have some strong opinions about who will win. Some say it will be a mixture

of the three parties. Some say the Democrats will hold control, and yet others say look for

a near sweep by the Republican Party.

Whomever emerges as the new  "Clarksville Strongman" will have to be able to put together majority support.

Some early discussion and speculation would be good for the voters to experience!

Who is in the running with the various senerios that may occure?

#26 Savile Row

Savile Row

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

Who is in the running?

It seems

that in the distant past,

the member selected by the other members

to be the Executive Branch dude received around $25,000

total for the job. That is more than the other's receive, as it involves a lot more duties.

It may have increased in recent years.  It has been considered a bargain for the taxpayers.

Quasar probably knows the total amount.

Will it be an experienced member?

Will it be an newcomer? A Libertarian Party member, a Democrat, or a Republican?

Who are the favorites at this point in the campaign?

it is an essential position.

Ideas?

:popcorn:

Edited by Savile Row, 08 October 2015 - 06:49 PM.

#27 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

Well, if you are looking for someone who can pull all the parties together then I would lean toward the Libertarian. Speaking generally, Libertarians have views that come from both sides of the aisle and I think that would help bring the group together.
  • kelley likes this

#28 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

Stop generalizing

Dems good people.

Repub. Good people

Libertarian Good people.

Elect the best most qualified people.

#29 themascot

themascot

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

Well everyone has their opinion.  I have one about Mr. Hauber that differs from you.

Lets all vote and it will come out in the wash.

Continually dropping statements which clearly implies something negative is political spinning.   So can we be clear? Take the following for example.

Clarksville has a ball field named Tim Hauber park. It’s in honor for the community contribution Mr. Hauber has made to hundreds if not thousands of our young children’s life in the area of physical activity, teamwork and enjoyment via his tutoring.   A clear-cut sign of someone committed to Clarksville beyond just talk.

Given this information and his unqualified support for Mark Palmer are you still voting for Johnson?

• littletommy likes this

#30 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

Stop generalizing

Dems good people.
Repub. Good people
Libertarian Good people.

Elect the best most qualified people.

SR was using general terms. I was replying to SR. To you I will say,"Me=good"

#31 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

Its hard to decide on who is best when some candidates won't state their positions. Maybe some candidates should have taken a poll before running for council. Or at least knock on a few doors to see what actual people living in Clarksville want. Candidates  and their supporters defend their non-stance on bigger issues as needing more time and information. That should have been done already, the idea of polls has been thrown around for a long with nothing happening. They say it only 2 issues, but aren't national politics mainly different on just a few big issues?  Most voters base their national vote on issues like abortion, gun control, entitlements, immigration, taxes and defense. Local elections are not based on those issues. Local candidates should have a position on important local issues, not just decide when the grass gets cut at the town green spaces or how to pick up goose pop. Important jobs, just not the most important issues.

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#32 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

Mascot

Im glad the field was named after Mr. Hauber

He built it.  My memory thinks it was named well before

he had the success coaching.   He was a good coach by the way.

Are you asking me to bring up some negative things regarding Mr. Hauber?

I believe I will leave that to others, but if you believe he has not over stepped 

his boundaries from time to time under the cloak of safety Director, or

pointing to his shirt where it says police you are wrong.   You seem connected 

to this community I am sure you hear both good and bad.   That is my point.

#33 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

Clarksville Voter

Clarksville has lots of issues elected officials will be asked to deal with.

I think some are riding two issues in hopes it resonates with the voters.

Others run on experience and proven leadership.

Someone wrote a letter to the Editor addressing this.

Vote how you wish, I know what is needed to get my vote and I have stated it many times.

Debate is good, I wish everyone was as serious about local elections as the folks here on CCC.

Wish everyone would just make a point to go vote.

#34 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

I think the "some are riding two issues" are showing they can make a decision based on experience or talking to voters and based on that they will be able to make other decisions. Others have shown no leadership or ability to make tough decisions by asking for polls to bail them out. What will they do without polls to help them on other issues. Just saying you are "New" doesn't really say much. Is it just a ploy with hopes that will "resonate with voters". Since many "new" candidates are not new to the town council, just recycled from the past. Actual new candidates seem to have close ties to past town council backers and retiring current council members.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#35 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

What is wrong with letting the people decide???

Some of your new candidates have been doing business

with the council for years,  making money off the town.

Cant have much closer ties  with past council or retiring council members.

#36 Clarksville Voter

Clarksville Voter

Resident

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

Nothing is wrong with letting the Voters decide. If you are talking about at the polls on election day. But how many tough issues will the town board need to take polls for? Will we get polled about the next sewer increase? Stormwater? Property taxes? Pay raises for board members? When will it stop. We don't need wishy washy or flip floppers people running the town. There has been plenty of time for all the candidates to get an idea of how the citizens feel on the issues. For four years the "Old Dems" talked about polls, citizen committees and asking people at Kroger. All smoke and mirrors to fool the public and delay losing power. Lack of action on these issues probably led to the mass retirement. Do the citizens want 4 more years of the run around? State your opinions, don't hide behind tricks used in the past.

• GrumpyGranny and Russell Brooksbank like this

#37 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

I would like to say something about an idea Clarksville Voter put out there. I think it would be an awesome thing if some organization, public or private, took the time to come up with a questionnaire for candidates that they are handed right after they file their candidacy paperwork. I've been thinking about starting something like that after this election. It would, of course, take time to poll the people and come up with the issues for the questions, but I think this would be a great help to the voting public. Anybody else think this might be a good idea or want to help out? We would have to find a nonpartisan organization that would be willing to do it. IDK, I just think it would be cool to have a nonpartisan spot to go to to get candidates official positions on questions brought up by the voting public. Sort of like a candidate forum where questions come from the audience.

Edited by Russell Brooksbank, 09 October 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#38 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

Nothing is wrong with letting the Voters decide. If you are talking about at the polls on election day. But how many tough issues will the town board need to take polls for? Will we get polled about the next sewer increase? Stormwater? Property taxes? Pay raises for board members? When will it stop. We don't need wishy washy or flip floppers people running the town. There has been plenty of time for all the candidates to get an idea of how the citizens feel on the issues. For four years the "Old Dems" talked about polls, citizen committees and asking people at Kroger. All smoke and mirrors to fool the public and delay losing power. Lack of action on these issues probably led to the mass retirement. Do the citizens want 4 more years of the run around? State your opinions, don't hide behind tricks used in the past.

Of course the voters should decide who they choose to represent them on election day! But IMO that means choosing the candidates who we trust to have the best interests of our town and it's residents in mind and serious opinions on how to lead our town into the next four years. Personally I would not trust a candidate who doesn't know his/her own mind, or is afraid to voice firm opinions. Being wishy-washy (like a current member was by declaring he would do a survey on town-wide vs district voting...a survey that was never done) just means they aren't up to taking care of the business they were elected to take care of.

I'd rather vote for someone who disagrees with me on some issues if they're willing to state their own personal opinions and stick to them than someone who wants to depend on  polls and surveys that may never get done to make up their mind for them. What will this kind of council person accomplish for us? Not a thing.

And I don't give a hoot about the party line. Party doesn't mean a thing to me, so don't just hand me the party line and expect me to say, oh, yeah, sure I'll vote for the party line. Tell me what you personally think, what you personally see as the important issues facing the town in the next few years. Tell me how you personally think the problems you see should be fixed. I'm an equal opportunity voter...I would never vote for a candidate based on party affiliation.

Oh, yeah, and don't expect me to pay for the opportunity to meet you at picnics or pig roasts or whatever. When I vote, I am not supporting a party. I'm supporting a person and I expect opportunities to meet the candidates that don't involve handing over money to a political party. I don't need your food or entertainment, I just need to meet and talk with you about our town and your views.

Rant over, for now...

• Tina and Russell Brooksbank like this

#39 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

I would like to say something about an idea Clarksville Voter put out there. I think it would be an awesome thing if some organization, public or private, took the time to come up with a questionnaire for candidates that they are handed right after they file their candidacy paperwork. I've been thinking about starting something like that after this election. It would, of course, take time to poll the people and come up with the issues for the questions, but I think this would be a great help to the voting public. Anybody else think this might be a good idea or want to help out? We would have to find a nonpartisan organization that would be willing to do it. IDK, I just think it would be cool to have a nonpartisan spot to go to to get candidates official positions on questions brought up by the voting public. Sort of like a candidate forum where questions come from the audience.

Russell, not a bad idea, but I'm not convinced it would help the voters. The candidates could complete the forms using canned answers to the questions. You know, those non-answers that we're supposed to accept as fact. They can still answer with the party line...

And I'm not sure there is any organization around here that appears to be totally non-partisan. If you find such a thing, I'd like to be a part of it since I'm about as non-partisan as a person can get.

#40 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:19 PM

Russell, not a bad idea, but I'm not convinced it would help the voters. The candidates could complete the forms using canned answers to the questions. You know, those non-answers that we're supposed to accept as fact. They can still answer with the party line...

And I'm not sure there is any organization around here that appears to be totally non-partisan. If you find such a thing, I'd like to be a part of it since I'm about as non-partisan as a person can get.

That is true about the canned, party line responses, but at least then we'll have a better idea of who can think for themselves and who is willing to put thought into their answers. I think what I'm really looking for is some kind of "clearinghouse" that voters could go to to get information about the candidates that has each candidate on a level playing field. Ya know, everybody gets to answer the same question. KWIM?

I agree that finding a non partisan group to sponsor this will be hard. We may just have to start one from scratch.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users