37 replies to this topic

#1 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

I've heard a lot of complaining from students at Jeff about the new grading structure.  

This snippet from the GCCS website:

The last change is that student work will be classified as either an assessment or an assignment.Assessments are quizzes, tests, papers, projects, labs and will account for 70% of a student’s grade. Assignments will be homework or in-class work and will account for 30% of a student’s grade.     

It's my understanding that some of the top students of the class of 2016 are facing having lower grades than ever in their high school careers due to this new policy.  This seems like a step backward to me.  It was learned long ago that not all students learn the same and not all students test well, that a student can know and understand the material and still not do well on an exam. 

I feel this should be up to the teachers.  Some classes are taught in a more open class way so that student participation should be a larger part of the students grade than a class that is mostly lecture or book work.  I feel that a student who does poorly on a test should be able to make up part of that grade with extra credit of some sort and this 70% rule does not allow that.

Teachers are still teaching and testing as they did before the change.  One poor test score from a teacher who does not test frequently or offer projects or other type work and a student can have a bad grade with no hope of bringing it up.  

It's my understanding that most of the AP and Honors teachers at Jeff dislike this grading method.  

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#2 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:37 PM

Yes,

There are honors students pulling a "C" average because of one test they did not do well on.

News story

http://www.whas11.co...ystem/71497952/

Petition

https://www.change.o...&fb_ref=Default

#3 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

If you remember the Superintendent and school board lowered the  number of credits required for a student to graduate last year so that they could "raise" the graduation rate --- or at least make it appear that the graduation had gone up.   If this new grading system causes students to fail, it will not last long.   It is all about keeping that graduation rate up and looking good to the community and DOE.   If Greater Clark's graduation rate declines, this will change.  

I feel sorry for the teachers --- do we want them to have the freedom to actually teach and grade a student appropriately -- or do we want them to be little robots who administer tests?   It is no wonder that there is a teacher shortage.   It will be difficult to attract people to the profession if they are not given any freedom whatsoever within their classroom.  

• snowman and Donna like this

#4 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

Yes,
There are honors students pulling a "C" average because of one test they did not do well on.

News story
http://www.whas11.co...ystem/71497952/

Petition
https://www.change.o...&fb_ref=Default

#5 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

Sorry, the above was an errant post from a mobile device.

Anyway the question was, regardless of the merits of this grading structure, do you think honors students should be immune from a "C" average?

#6 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:17 AM

I'm not sure why we would disregard the merits of a grading structure, especially when honor students, who do more than average work, are being graded as "average."  Seems to be a disincentive for students to attend honor classes.  We've become a teach-to-the-test state, instead of focusing on teaching for education. 

#7 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:20 AM

Donna, in the days of old when virtually all of us were taught and tested weekly on math facts and given spelling tests every Friday, was that not a form of "teaching to the test?" If my memory serves me correctly, many of us learned important things like addition, subtraction, multiplication tables, vocabulary/spelling geometry theorems and other important concepts through a form of "teach - test - re-teach - re-test."
  • Avid Reader likes this

#8 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, I went to the old school when rulers punished knuckles.  Those weekly tests on math and spelling helped the teachers understand what their pupils needed.  Those tests were not used against the pupil's academic status.  Nor were they used to discredit teachers.

• karen likes this

#9 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

Donna, in my elementary school, if I failed weekly spelling or math facts tests, those scores were reflected in my grades for those classes. I had friends who did poorly enough that they were retained, and not allowed to go to the next grade so I cannot agree that those tests were not used in determining students' academic status. I will agree though that I went to school long before the era of accountability for teachers and schools, so you are right about those instruments were not used to evaluate teachers.
  • kelley likes this

#10 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

Donna, in my elementary school, if I failed weekly spelling or math facts tests, those scores were reflected in my grades for those classes. I had friends who did poorly enough that they were retained, and not allowed to go to the next grade so I cannot agree that those tests were not used in determining students' academic status. I will agree though that I went to school long before the era of accountability for teachers and schools, so you are right about those instruments were not used to evaluate teachers.

Correct. I can recall regular spelling tests, vocabulary and history quizzes being a third or more of the grade in several classes, which worked great for me. Loved and aced tests; rarely did homework; scored poorly on "conduct."

#11 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

Correct. I can recall regular spelling tests, vocabulary and history quizzes being a third or more of the grade in several classes, which worked great for me. Loved and aced tests; rarely did homework; scored poorly on "conduct."

What???  "scored poorly on conduct"???   That's hard to believe!!  :laugh:

• GrumpyGranny, kelley and Donna like this

#12 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

What???  "scored poorly on conduct"???   That's hard to believe!!  :laugh:

They were pretty strict back in the 50's......

#13 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

Ouch! Kelley, are you going to let Woo get away with this?

#14 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

Sorry for the typo....

Too late to edit.....

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

Ha. You're pretty witty for a dork.

My dad was the one acting up in school in the 50s. Not for long, though, he was only 7 when the 50s were over.

Edited by kelley, 23 September 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#16 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

I can't reach him to knock the crap out of him. Please assist.

He did get called a dork.

#17 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

Sorry for the typo....
Too late to edit.....

says 46 minutes ago...

Fibbing dork.
  • woo likes this

#18 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

My dad was the one acting up in school in the 50s. Not for long, though, he was only 7 when the 50s were over.

OMG! I'm older than your dad! Wow....I don't know what to say...

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

OMG! I'm older than your dad! Wow....I don't know what to say...

I think, "grumble, grumble. My hips hurt," is the script for your age group.

*running far away*
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#20 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

Ha! Ha! Ha!

You're next Blondie!

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this