• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

Payments missing for animal shelter in Clark County

By ELIZABETH BEILMAN | Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:45 am

53d9343191dff.image.jpg

J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter

No one seems to know why an interlocal agreement to fund the J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter has lied dormant for more than a year.

CLARK COUNTY — An updated interlocal agreement among several Clark County municipalities to share costs for the J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter has sat dormant and mostly unsigned for more than a year.

Because of this inactivity, Jeffersonville and Clark County are the only entities that paid bills for the shelter last year.

Jeffersonville, which is responsible for operating the shelter and its budget, has meanwhile been fronting the costs largely without reimbursements. The Clark County Commissioners are the only local fiscal body that has signed the agreement.

“It’s just not really fair that the citizens of Jeffersonville should have to pay for services rendered for the rest of the county,” J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter Director Sarah Green said.

Green, who filled the director position last October, said she sent bills out a month ago for 2014 services to the remaining municipalities that have historically funded the shelter but have not yet signed the agreement. These entities are Clarksville, Sellersburg, Charlestown, Utica and Borden.

http://www.newsandtr...cc8e27964c.html

Edited by Quasar, 20 July 2015 - 02:11 PM.
Insert link to article

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

I believe the Jeffersonville city attorney, Les Merkley, dropped this ball.  I hope the city council, along with Mr. Merkley, follow up on the interlocal agreement with the involved municipalities.  Not comfortable with name-calling our neighbors.

County Commissioners and the zoning board need to back off their unreasonable restrictions for a rural location on pet housing for those at-risk critters that are being temporarily housed. 

I know some people in downtown Jeff, that would be afoul of those restrictions!  :whistle:

Southern Indiana Animal Rescue and JB Ogle Shelter does amazing work for our communities and critters! 

• kelley and TrishR like this

#3 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Donna is right on target.  They simply cannot legally pay until the interlocal agreement is signed.

#4 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

By ELIZABETH BEILMAN | Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 7:45 amANIMAL SHELTER CHOICES

The council must soon decide whether it will pay its share to J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter or send its stray pets to a shelter on Ind. 62.

Jeffersonville funds and operates the J.B. Ogle Shelter, but asks for Clark County and other municipalities within to contribute money each year through an interlocal agreement. An updated version of this agreement calls for Sellersburg to pay 6 percent of the total cost, or $22,410 a year.

Elder told the town council that Clark County Animal Control Officer Mike Ettel will charge the town $12,500 annually with $1,000 monthly installments to instead send its animals to his shelter.

“Two months ago, we didn’t think we had any other option than the J.B. Ogle, but now we do have a secondary option,” he said.

Sellersburg Police Department Chief Russ Whelan said he would like to know more about availability of Ettel’s shelter. Officers have around-the-clock access to the Ogle Shelter, necessary when they pick up stray animals after hours or on holiday, Whelan said.

“What I can’t have is them having an animal and having no place to take it because they’re not available,” he said.

Councilman Terry Langford said he wants input from Whelan before making a decision.

Because Ettel only prepared a proposal and not a contract, no vote was needed. The council is expected to make a decision at its next meeting.

#5 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:01 PM

Sellersburg get a grip! There's a lot more to it than just housing animals! If not claimed they have to be spay/neutered and vaccinated then adopted out. 

Or do you just want all the animals to die? Pay what you owe! You are getting a bargain from Sarah Green and her staff. They work night and day finding homes for your animals.

• Donna likes this

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

Am I reading it correct that Ettel is offering services for $12,500 PLUS $1000 a month?

Perhaps someone from JB Ogle should come to the next meeting.  It'll be Monday the 28th.

• TrishR likes this

#7 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

I thought it read that $12,500 in monthly installments of $1,000.  Don't know where the other $500 comes into play.  Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

My bigger question is, why are we looking to outsource a contract when we have a reputable shelter that has operated a "no kill" shelter for many years.  JB Ogle could use that $12,500! 

#8 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

I'll be there!

#9 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

Mike Ettel owns Dogwood Kennels on Hwy 62. It is a kennel, not a shelter! 

No way can he find homes for the unclaimed animals. 

• Gabriella and Donna like this

#10 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Tina, who is running for re election in November on this board?

#11 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

Mike Ettel owns Dogwood Kennels on Hwy 62.

Same guy that was caught driving drunk in a county truck?

• Gabriella likes this

#12 Gabriella

Gabriella

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Once again it looks like the differences between the definitions of "kennel" & "shelter" should be discussed. The state has a definition....Clark County should use that.

• TrishR and RStephenson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users