#1 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

... have a yard full of June Bugs?

At least a hundred flying around. Third day now. Never saw anything like it.

According to numerous sources, it's the heavy rains that brought them out.

Suppose I'll have to fight them for blackberries this year.    :tongue:

Edited by RiverFox, 04 July 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

Don't have that many, but they do get inside the house.  The cats enjoy the sport, me, little less so!

Some friends on Riverside Dr. have been posting pictures of the mayflies taking over their porch.  I'm glad I don't have that problem!

#3 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:00 PM

Saw a few today when I was picking tomatoes.  Yuck.

#4 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

I have a pool full... LOL

Have to empty the skimmer every day.

#5 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:44 PM

Don't have that many, but they do get inside the house.  The cats enjoy the sport, me, little less so!

Some friends on Riverside Dr. have been posting pictures of the mayflies taking over their porch.  I'm glad I don't have that problem!

Oh the Mayflies! The poor obnoxious little things only live one day but they manage to appear 2-3 times a year. This year not as bad as previous. A few years ago my white house was absolutely black with them and walking out front nearly impossible. Never saw them til I moved down here. They are like mosquitoes, posion ivy-oak-sumac.....why God, why?

#6 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

Mosquitoes and poison whatever actually harm humans & critters.  The mayflies are a nuisance, but not harmful. 

• Russell Brooksbank likes this

#7 kentuckiana

kentuckiana

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

Living on the river, mayflies are a nuisance, but much like the proverbial parakeet in the coal mines. Years ago, workers in the shaft mines of eastern Kentucky; took parakeets into the deeply dug caverns. If the parakeet died, it was a sure sign they had tapped into poisonous, deadly gases, and it was time to leave the mine, before methane or other fumes overcame them.Today, besides providing a ready diet for our river fish, mayflies will only hatch in clean, unpolluted water. Sure, I detest their little carcasses all over my patio & deck, having them fly into my eyes, ears & nose while performing yard work; but the knowledge that our river is becoming cleaner & cleaner, is a small price to pay for their annoyance, and evidence of the growing cleanliness in the Ohio River.

Mayflies have a rather sad & short life. In clean river water, when the temperature is perfect, the eggs float to the surface & hatch. If conditions fail to stimulate the gestation, the eggs can lay undisturbed for years on the bottom of the river, unless eaten by fish. Once they hatch, the males & females fly to the land, cover everything and cause a temporary inconvenience. In 24 +/- hours, they will breed, the male dies quickly and the female returns to the river to drop her eggs and expire. While river fish will eat the eggs, hatching larvae or impregnated female; they shy away from the dead insects; which even when living, are really too delicate to hook & use as bait.

The same can be said for living or dead stink bugs & mosquitoes-they won't catch fish. If recently dead, or especially when alive; June bugs, and especially the garden pesky Japanese beetles are favorite fish foods-especially for pan fish and small mouth bass. Safely, hanging a bug zapper over the river assists in building our fisheries, and the fish do more than all mans efforts to clean up the river-much to their detriment! Nevertheless, hanging an electrical appliance over water, is hardly recommended. Instead, if you have the space and desire; put a nail, facing up; through an angled piece of plywood and mount it over the river on your dock or a piling. On the nail, impale old meat scraps that will quickly attract flies. Maggots are another favorite fish food, and will fall off the angled plywood, into the river,

It may not be the most of appetizing of posts, but help restore our Ohio River fishery, and I'll guarantee, the taste of freshly caught, cleaned and fried bluegill, crappies, small & large mouth bass, saugers, stripers, channels and even freshwater eels will quickly make you forget their diet, and come to understand the importance June bugs, mayflies, even Japanese beetles and maggots play in our food chain!  

• RiverFox and jiyabird like this

#8 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

The only problem I've ever seen with mayflies was in New York.

There were so many squashed on a bridge that it made driving ... interesting.

Slick as ice.

• jiyabird likes this

#9 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:10 AM

... have a yard full of June Bugs?

At least a hundred flying around. Third day now. Never saw anything like it.

According to numerous sources, it's the heavy rains that brought them out.

Suppose I'll have to fight them for blackberries this year.    :tongue:

They're back.  :laugh:

#10 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

The only problem I've ever seen with mayflies was in New York.
There were so many squashed on a bridge that it made driving ... interesting.
Slick as ice.

Just saw a news report on how horrendous they can be in some areas...covering windshieds completely...even people...example given...a poor police officer given reason to step out of his vehicle. They are trying to come up with ways to rid themselves of them.
My neighbor, who is from Michigan, says the lake water is black out to a certain point when they are active. I lived up there for a few years but do not remember them...guess I was not close enough to the water.

#11 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

Living on the river, mayflies are a nuisance, but much like the proverbial parakeet in the coal mines. Years ago, workers in the shaft mines of eastern Kentucky; took parakeets into the deeply dug caverns. If the parakeet died, it was a sure sign they had tapped into poisonous, deadly gases, and it was time to leave the mine, before methane or other fumes overcame them.Today, besides providing a ready diet for our river fish, mayflies will only hatch in clean, unpolluted water. Sure, I detest their little carcasses all over my patio & deck, having them fly into my eyes, ears & nose while performing yard work; but the knowledge that our river is becoming cleaner & cleaner, is a small price to pay for their annoyance, and evidence of the growing cleanliness in the Ohio River.

Mayflies have a rather sad & short life. In clean river water, when the temperature is perfect, the eggs float to the surface & hatch. If conditions fail to stimulate the gestation, the eggs can lay undisturbed for years on the bottom of the river, unless eaten by fish. Once they hatch, the males & females fly to the land, cover everything and cause a temporary inconvenience. In 24 +/- hours, they will breed, the male dies quickly and the female returns to the river to drop her eggs and expire. While river fish will eat the eggs, hatching larvae or impregnated female; they shy away from the dead insects; which even when living, are really too delicate to hook & use as bait.

The same can be said for living or dead stink bugs & mosquitoes-they won't catch fish. If recently dead, or especially when alive; June bugs, and especially the garden pesky Japanese beetles are favorite fish foods-especially for pan fish and small mouth bass. Safely, hanging a bug zapper over the river assists in building our fisheries, and the fish do more than all mans efforts to clean up the river-much to their detriment! Nevertheless, hanging an electrical appliance over water, is hardly recommended. Instead, if you have the space and desire; put a nail, facing up; through an angled piece of plywood and mount it over the river on your dock or a piling. On the nail, impale old meat scraps that will quickly attract flies. Maggots are another favorite fish food, and will fall off the angled plywood, into the river,

It may not be the most of appetizing of posts, but help restore our Ohio River fishery, and I'll guarantee, the taste of freshly caught, cleaned and fried bluegill, crappies, small & large mouth bass, saugers, stripers, channels and even freshwater eels will quickly make you forget their diet, and come to understand the importance June bugs, mayflies, even Japanese beetles and maggots play in our food chain!

Hey...thanks for the info, appreciate you taking the time to post...very interesting and saves me from googling it...will share with my neighbor across the street. He was just asking me about them last week. Can't help but feel sorry for the poor things...I know, just nusice bugs but what can I say...I am soft hearted when it comes to living creatures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users