Photo

Are Incumbents allowed to advertise on City property?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

I noticed during founders day that both Bob Hall and fellow Republican Donna Commer have political advertisements on the city owned Christmas Train. I saw no other incumbents with advertisements on the train.

Could it be that Mayor Hall only allows politics to enter into Charlestown City events when it benefits him or his Candidates?

What can we expect to see next out of our Mayor, will the garbage trucks and city water, street and sewer department vehicles have signs for Mayor Bob and Donna Coomer plastered on their sides?

Will City employees be forced to wear political ads. for Mayor Bob and Clerk-Treasurer Donna Coomer?

Will City Hall have political signs for Bob and Donna?

Not to give Dictator Bob any ideas, but maybe he should put these ads. on the sides of Charlestown City Police vehicles and the Police Station.(nearly every Charlestown voter would see one or the other)

Does this Mayor have no bounds???

Above the Law Bob Hall strikes again!

• Cheryl L Ross likes this

#2 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

I thought I read a Facebook post where Mayor Hall said

no Politics at founders day?

Rules may not pertain to him..

#3 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Sleepy, it would be nice if you could blame Bob Hall and Donna Commer's blatant  politicalization  of Founders Day on ignorance, but the obvious answer is to place the blame on arrogance, both Donna and Bob have been in office long enough to know that advertising their candidacy on Public Property is "DEAD WRONG", and yet they both seem to feel the Rules do not pertain to them!

Their sense of entitlement is somewhat sickening and definitely disturbing!

#4 NoBS

NoBS

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

The Signs on the train said "Mayor Bob City of Charlestown" which he is. Donna's said Donna Coomer Clerk Treasurer and Beautification Committee Chairman which she is both. Nothing else on the signs, nothing about voting, campaign slogans or anything else other than stating the truth about who they and their in connection to the city. They were not advertising on city property. Every year they have signs up stating the same thing. They are not above the law but they are elected to represents the city. You don't like it but they are the Mayor and Clerk Treasurer. The truth is all the candidates on both sides had election signs and/or shirts in the parade.

#5 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

The mayor has things pretty buttoned up for campaigning at any events the city has....much to his advantage. i always thought it was pretty fun to have canadates hand out things along the parade route. No political stuff at the back pack give away either....like a kid cares if it has a persons name on it. If they want donations for the kids, who cares which canadate gives what.
This is the election that it will make a difference which councilman we elect....have only had one stop at my house and he really didn't say much as to what he is for or against. Need people that will do their own thinking.

#6 Cheryl L Ross

Cheryl L Ross

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:05 PM

To me,my opinion only.when election time is nearing,your name on any city vehicle is pure campaigning,no ifs ands or buts about that matter.It may look discreet but come on now,people are not that stupid.If one tells me not to wear a certain shirt to express my feelings,get over it,This is America not Mr Hall telling anyone what to wear,''meaning an opponets shirt'' sating Jeff Shepard Sr, better one yet I want one of those shirts to wear anywhere I feel like wearing it!!!!!

#7 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

I got an idea.

The city council draft an ordinance...No campaign signs or material on city equipment?

#8 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

NOBS,You are right,Bob Hall and Donna Coomer are Mayor and Clerk-Treasurer and the city owned train has that on the first two cars,my concern is that they both are using the train for political gain. If this is not so,why are the other elected officials omitted? Dan James is councilman at large he is not on the train,Jeff AAron is a city councilman he is not on the train,RuthAnn Rawlings is a city councilman she is not on the train.Scott Mckechnie is a city councilman he is not on the train.Cathy Cash is a city councilman she is not on the train.                                                                                                                                                                                         The only pattern that is obvious is that Bob Hall and Donna Coomer both use the city owned train as if they own it. 

#9 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

NoBs,I noticed that during the Republican Picnic the train no longer has Bob Hall or Donna Coomer,on it's side or anywhere.                          Could it be they realized that using the city owned train for personal gain,was wrong? Or maybe some fair minded Republican brought it to their attention? I hope that either way people will begin to realize that Bob Hall seems to have no limits in trying to get himself and his followers elected!

#10 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

I have yet to hear either party actually say what they are going to do if elected. I don't think just saying they are going to make Charlestown better counts. I am glad that their names are off the train. Don't think people really pay attention to that but think they did it just because they could.

#11 Ruth Ann Rawlings

Ruth Ann Rawlings

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

masey, If you visit Jeff Shepherd Sr.'s Facebook page you can see his plans for Charlestown. 

#12 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

You can also visit certain bars and see what he is up to besides politics.

#13 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

NoBs,sounds like you want to judge a politician on if he goes to a bar or not,I personally know Jeff Shepherd and I have known him for more than 40 years he is a good person,whom,for your information, I have never heard anyone say anything negative about,he rarely drinks,and I have never seen him drunk. As a matter of fact Jeff offers those that have had too much to drink rides home. He also attends church, maybe you would rather have your choice of politician spend his or her free time in church,Jeff would be the first to tell you that church is a great place to go. It's obvious you must have missed the Sundays when the sermons were about "THOU SHALL NOT JUDGE"

#14 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

NoBs, I apologize I replied to you by mistake,my intent was to reply to the post made by NotBanned,I am getting old and sometimes I get like-minded people confused. 

#15 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

NoBs,sounds like you want to judge a politician on if he goes to a bar or not,I personally know Jeff Shepherd and I have known him for more than 40 years he is a good person,whom,for your information, I have never heard anyone say anything negative about,he rarely drinks,and I have never seen him drunk. As a matter of fact Jeff offers those that have had too much to drink rides home. He also attends church, maybe you would rather have your choice of politician spend his or her free time in church,Jeff would be the first to tell you that church is a great place to go. It's obvious you must have missed the Sundays when the sermons were about "THOU SHALL NOT JUDGE"

What about your continued and undying judgment of Bob Hall?  

Just because somebody goes to church doesn't make them a good person.  I have extremely credible sources, sources that I would trust as if I had seen it with my own two eyes.  Sources that couldn't care less about politics and themselves go to church more than anybody I know (if that even matters).  I'm sure he's dried up a lot in order to pursue a bid for office, but he's done just as much as Mayor Hall in the 'questionable' department.

#16 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

NotBanned, I have only judged Bob Hall based on his performance as MAYOR !!!  I have never made a derogatory statement or made any attempt to challenge Bob Hall about anything having to do with his personal life.

#17 NotBanned

NotBanned

IsNowBanned

• Account Closed
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

Judgment is Judgment is Judgment.

I'm sure if I tried even a little bit, I could find personal attacks.  Nonetheless, whether Shepard is allegedly a  lush, adulterer or what have you, you're right, It has nothing to do with his Mayorial bid and he may actually be the best Mayor ever.  

#18 Old Pawpaw

Old Pawpaw

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

NotBanned,there is a major difference between judging a person by his performance in office and judging a person by hearsay,I won,t even justify what you are trying to allege by repeating it!  Jeff Sheperd is not any of the things you and your friends accuse him of being,what he is,is a fine man who has worked for the citizens and with the youth of Charlestown for many,many years and would be a fair and honest Mayor that represents all of Charlestown and will re-unite a town that has been deeply divided since Bob Hall's first term in office! 

#19 Boss Lady

Boss Lady

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

You can also visit certain bars and see what he is up to besides politics.

And what exactly would he be doing in those bars? Eating, playing cornhole, having a diet coke or a water? You know since he has "dried up" but I'm not sure what he's drying up from since I have only seen him drink twice in the 32 years I've know him...which those two times was with his mother passed away. Maybe next time you see him at a bar you should stop in and say hi then when you get drunk and can't drive home he will offer to take you home.
  • CityBoy likes this

#20 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

Well said, Boss Lady. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users