• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, on FB, Paul told people to tell those in need of dinner to go to Haven House. Maybe some of you who live downtown can check out the churches to see if people are still showing up after the first Monday in July (the date given as the final meal for July).

#22 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Lol. God love him. I better check in.

#23 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

I'm still scratching my head!  A bigger head's up would have been nice and respectful.   

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#24 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

Call me "Mrs. Skeptical" but I have been very leery for a long time. Guess I was an auditor for too long --- I question everything and don't believe everything I see or hear. I particularly don't like a 501©3 entity that does not provide access to financial statements. I find it very rude that Paul didn't contact the people/groups who have worked hard to serve meals every month and just let us find out about this via Facebook.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#25 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:00 PM

So is this related to the task force?

#26 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:57 AM

WTH???  really?  no more dinners?

#27 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

I don't know.

Been talking to Paul. Need guidance from you guys too.

They have signed up those they consider their clients for food stamps, are providing canned and other food items and still taking some meals more directly to the camps.

As you all have likely picked up on, there has been some tension with the ministry and folks who come for the meals, but aren't homeless.

I tried to get an assessment on the need. He doesn't think there is a need for the meals for the street homeless at this time.

So, do we push forward - I haven't yet got with the church because I'm trying to get my own head wrapped around this - to continue serving whomever comes with the knowledge they may well have other options?

I'm of multiple minds on this. There are people in this community with significant means that will show up for anything free, but they're few and far between. Most of those who come "from the community" as Paul puts it, are still poor, or lonely and want to share a meal with others. Some are arguably at risk of becoming homeless...

I don't know.

ETA: I have sent Pastor Don a message to see if the church is still available.

Edited by kelley, 29 June 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#28 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

i'm all for folding it in,  if y'all are... or i could continue...   either way.   if Exit 0 isn't part of it, then we will need to provide even more stuff, like plates, etc, right?  and they always did a lot of the cleanup in the dining room.

#29 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

I'm confident we can cover the paper products. The cleaning up is a time commitment, so a few people would need to firmly commit on that one.

Tina, have you had any discussion with the other team? Where are they at with this? Any chance they'd take on the clean-up?

#30 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

I think I'm bowing out. 

It has been a pleasure and an honor to participate in Team Chatter. Perhaps something else will come up that can use the Team Chatter touch, but I do believe the dinners have run their course.

Thank you, Team Chatter!

• IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#31 RunnerGirl

RunnerGirl

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

We agree with GG that the dinners have run its course, so we are also going to bow out.  Just wondering, since we all have seemed to enjoy helping the homeless, is there another way for Team Chatter to stay involved as a team besides the monthly dinners?  Maybe Exit 0 could use us in another capacity.  Any thoughts?

#32 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

Runnergirl, on his FB post comments Paul mentioned they are short drivers and there will be other ways to help. You might check their website:  http://www.jesuscaresatexit0.org/

#33 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

We are open to helping with other things, even on a one time basis, but I believe for now we will make donations of foodstuff to the Center for Lay Ministries. Kelley can tell us more about CLM, but I do know they struggle at times, and they provide groceries to many impoverished individuals and families.

• Donna likes this

#34 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:08 PM

We are open to helping with other things, even on a one time basis, but I believe for now we will make donations of foodstuff to the Center for Lay Ministries. Kelley can tell us more about CLM, but I do know they struggle at times, and they provide groceries to many impoverished individuals and families.

CLM has a food pantry, provides emergency utility assistance and operates Bliss House, a recovery home for women. Homeless individuals do receive food there, and items such as cans with pop-tops are set aside for them. The Center also assists on getting identification.

Edited by kelley, 29 June 2015 - 06:09 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, masey and 2 others like this

#35 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like First Prez is also holding off for now to see where things are going.

If we really want to do something, he said to let him know, but there's no plans to go forward at this time.
  • GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#36 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

When I told my husband the dinners were ending he was relieved because he has said for a while that wants to find a place for our family to volunteer together.  He did just change jobs last month to one on this side of the river so it would have been possible for him to join us for Exit 0 - but I think he wants to be the one to find something new now that the Exit 0 thing has died down.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#37 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

I cannot say enough good things about First Prez or Pastor Don! 

My efforts will focus on the CLM. 

There will be a big food drive for the Neighborhood Night Out. 

Kelley will talk smack later. 

Maybe.

• GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#38 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

Very likely.
  • Donna likes this