37 replies to this topic

#1 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

this will be coming around fast, thought i'd get this started for ideas.

picnic food might be good, perhaps meatless and go with baked beans as the main course... just an idea.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Um, sorry, I can't imagine a meatless dinner based around baked beans.  What would that menu look like?

#3 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:51 AM

The folks (and their kiddos) were most appreciative of our Mexican dinner finished off with a banana split!  This is not a meal they get often.  Anybody for doing it again?

#4 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

I agree with Donna -- since we only prepare dinner one night a month, why not do the same thing again if the folks enjoyed it?   Sounds like a winner to me!

#5 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

i can do mexican again, no problem.  i'll just sign up now for the 2 casseroles that i made last time.

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:56 AM

i can do mexican again, no problem. i'll just sign up now for the 2 casseroles that i made last time.

Any chance for two and a half? Lol.
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#7 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:00 AM

I'll sign up for two Mexican casseroles, refried beans and nacho cheese.  I'll also bring lemonade.

#8 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

Any chance for two and a half? Lol.

funny thing is, i had enough ingredients last time to do another one but didn't have any more baking dishes.

#9 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

We have some things going on that may keep us from taking part in this dinner, so I won't plan on making anything. If we find we can help out later, we'll bring fruit or something. We will hopefully be back on track to do more for the August dinner.

#10 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

I will bring the usual snacks.    Snowman -- I have lots of dishes/baking pans that I don't use much anymore.   Will be glad to give you another pan or two!!  Let me know what you need.

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#11 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

that's nice of you IM, thanks!   any old casserole dish or metal pan type would be great. 

#12 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

We're back on track to contribute to this dinner, so do you want chips and salsa again? Fruit? Both? Something else?

• Tina likes this

#13 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

Chips & Salsa, Granny! 

IM, I'm bad, I know, but we did not use the variety box of chips for the last meal given the tortilla chips, salsa and nacho cheese.  Instead, we donated the box to Exit 0's ministry for Smokin' on the River.  Oh, and, um, the candy . . . I hid that in my bedroom to keep the kids out of it.  Hubs found it and thought I had gotten it for him.  It's gone!  But Hubs thinks I'm a wonderful wife!  I owe you!

#14 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

Just read this post on FB...posted by Exit 0:

"For the past 2 months we have partnered with Aspin Health navigator to get all those who we serve in the community and in the ministry there foodstamps with this being said we are currently Suspending All Exit 0 meals for month of July to do some restructuring If you know of a family who is in need of food please use this link below to provide them information if someone is in need of a meal for dinner & is on the streets please refer to the Haven house shelter. Those who are in need of Bill assistance & live in clark county can contact the Local Trustee Office for a application ..... Housing concerns contact Housing authority, Now with all this said We will be still providing basic services to our area Street homeless that we serve and connect them with our local resources and partners while we regroup things. We ask that you keep everyone in prayers & any questions please contact us Thanks for all you do and will keep everyone posted"

...the text in bold was written by Exit 0 but put in bold print by me, since this is the part that may concern us. Can someone find out if this means the church meals like the one we provide are suspended? 

#15 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

Answered my own question by reading the comments; yes, all dinners suspended. Exit 0 never meant to be a feeding ministry...

#16 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

I'm a little bit (a lot, really!) in shock!  Didn't Exit 0 start off as a feeding ministry?  Isn't that where they got their name? 

#17 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

Donna, I also was under the impression that the Exit 0 name came from the meals Paul started serving at Exit 0. Apparently now he's saying the meals were just meant to draw in people Exit 0 could help in other ways. Frankly I'm not sure how I feel about this, after all the work, money and dedication so many teams have put into the dinners for, what?, a year and a half. 

#18 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

I'll try to get with the church. Martina has the contact with the other group.

What all does the ministry usually provide that would be needed?

Utensils and napkins, plates...what else?

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:54 PM

Though if word on the street is they're cancelled...idk.

#20 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:55 PM

Kelley, as far as I can remember, the ministry also provided coffee in the winter. The church was kind enough to let us use their gloves and serving utensils if needed. Providing the paper goods would not be much of a problem; GFS sells that stuff in bulk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users