633 replies to this topic

#41 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,112 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

I encourage you and anyone who has questions/concerns to attend a Q&A workshop Monday the 20th at 2pm at Greater Clark County Schools admin building to hear it from the mouth of the horse Victor Smith, Indiana Secretary of Commerce. Get the facts on the RCI program at that meeting.

Not everyone will be able to attend. It's hoped those who do will report back and we can continue this discussion.

#42 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,112 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

I encourage you and anyone who has questions/concerns to attend a Q&A workshop Monday the 20th at 2pm at Greater Clark County Schools admin building to hear it from the mouth of the horse Victor Smith, Indiana Secretary of Commerce. Get the facts on the RCI program at that meeting.

Not everyone will be able to attend. It's hoped those who do will report back and we can continue this discussion.

#43 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Yep, pesky job gets in the way.

#44 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

Yep, pesky job gets in the way.

I'm guessing that was a factor in the decision making process.

#45 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

I was unable to attend the meeting today, but I have heard they confirmed my position on the property owned by an RDA as tax exempt.  

I also heard the 60/20/20 split is an IEDC guideline and not specified in the state statute.  So just like they by-laws of an RDA, this "guideline" can change at any time.  

The person I spoke to that attended today said that the actual plan/project to be submitted to the IEDC for their approval STILL has not yet been seen.  So this public launch was really just another opportunity to sell it, yet again, without actually seeing what we are buying.  There was no wonderful artistic pictures or a list of projects they are asking to get the funding.

I'd like someone to point me to somewhere online where this vision that our region is endorsing can be found?

The *only* reason to create a Regional Development Authority RIGHT THIS SECOND is because the IEDC deadline of August 31.  

But if a county council seriously votes to join this RDA without even seeing the bid to be submitted to the IEDC - SHAME ON THEM!!!

If you can't see the vision they are submitting, why are you giving away your authority to these people?  Do you expect it to be MORE transparent after you've given away your DULY ELECTED POWER?! 

So frustrating that all they see is the $carrot$, without the chains.  So frustrating that they so want to beg the state for this money, they're willing to vote away the citizens' voices so they can pretend to have a seat at the table.  Rushing rushing rushing instead of doing due diligence.  Rushing rushing rushing instead of waiting to see the kinks of this program ironed out. 

I honestly bet only 10% of those voting on this RDA have actually read the full statute.  They are solely going on the word of those selling it.  Shameful.

$21 million dollars a year.  That's what it costs to buy your representative democracy.

Edited by Tina, 20 July 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#46 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

There was, indeed, a presentation of ideas for our region to apply for the Regional Development Authority, hosted by One Southern Indiana funded by the Ogle Foundation and Duke Energy.  They actually said this study/plan didn't cost taxpayers anything . . . I would add, "Yet."  Their plan for the Southern Indiana region was northwards of $400 million!

Very well attended.  Ron Grooms, Ed Clere and Steve Stemler were on hand and spoke.  They've been working on this for a year or so.  They've been working on this with the host group.  Wouldn't it be lovely if an entire region put forth a plan to benefit an entire region?  Except who's plan gets approved, and who has no say in the trajectory.  The IEDC folk kept talking about it being "our decision," but who is "our?"  Who gets selected (five board chairs) and who does the selecting?  How is it weighted?  Is it on population,  ideas approved at the state level? 

This is a five county region (and who decided that?): Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Scott & Washington counties. Pretty diverse territories.  River Ridge played largely in the presentation.  Whether this region is granted the state's largess, depends on "Return of Investment" or it goes somewhere else.  But, it was pointed out that if we choose NOT to proceed, there were plenty of others that would love to hear that, one less entity to compete.  Limited time to cash in, applications must be filed by August 31st for a decision by December. 

Now, admittedly, I'm not the brightest pebble on the beach, but the presentation was as clear as mud. 

There were many politicos in the audience.  I will attempt to identify, but I'll leave some out, simply because I didn't know them.  Known:  Dennis Julius, Nathan Samuels, Brian Lenfert, Matt Owens, Kelly Khouri, Bob Hall, John Gilkey, several members of the New Albany council, mayor of Scottsburg (didn't get his name, but dang, he had some very good questions!)   There were many others.

They asked pointed questions on the funding and kept getting that "20-20-60%." 20% from the RDA as explained by the Indiana Economic Development CORPORATION, 20% from the regional entity and a "mix of private/public funds." 

We were told that the audio/video would be available in 24 hours of the entire meeting.  Check it out and see what you think.

• kelley and Tina like this

#47 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Good grief, there for a heart-stopping moment, I thought I lost the whole post!  The mix of private/public funds was at 60%.  The audio/video should be available sometime tomorrow at onesouthernindiana.com.

#48 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Donna -- how many non-politicians would you estimate were in attendance?

#49 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

I recognized several others who are not politicians but pay attention and attend meetings, some who serve on various boards.  I'd say it was in the range of 35%.  Dr. Melin and Teresa Perkins were also there.

• kelley likes this

#50 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

I believe Dr. Melin was recently named to the 1SoIN board.

#51 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

The more this filters down through my brain, (and, yeah, it takes a bit longer these days!)

Why is this a competitive thing?  Why do the most LARGE regions need to sign on?

You cannot grow a region with a promise of, maybe, a state 20% match with "region" match of 20% and the locality to provide 60% through a "public/private mix" where regions are already struggling.  We simply cannot afford this grandiose scheme!

Either grant the funds for specific projects in whatever locality, or match funds at 20% for any location that has a solid idea.  Apparently, you have $84 MILLION to play with . . . Stop playing with us! 

I usually like carrots . . . but not this one!

#52 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

The whole point of this legislation they created is to entice young millennials to our region with "quality of place" visions.  It's supposed to prevent stagnation or a declining population.  The kicker is, Clark is not declining nor stagnating.  Obviously we can't afford the essential services NOW, but we want to spend more money to bring MORE people to the area?  :thumbsup:

http://www.ibrc.indi...r/article2.html

fig2PopMap.gif

I see where maybe Scott Co needs it, but if the Ohio River Greenway vision is the plan, then how does that benefit Scott Co?  

#53 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

If we have $84 million dollars to play with then we should refund it to the taxpayers and let them grow our economy.

#54 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Yes, Tina, they talked about zero migration.  We would be negative, except more babies born than oldsters die, but even that ratio is slowing down.  Our young people are leaving the state.  How do we keep them here? 

I would think readily available jobs, like what River Ridge and other successors can provide. 

Cheery afternoon!

#55 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

Our young people are leaving the state. How do we keep them here?

By electing Libertarians, reducing the tax burden and getting government out of their lives.

#56 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

Yes, Tina, they talked about zero migration.  We would be negative, except more babies born than oldsters die, but even that ratio is slowing down.  Our young people are leaving the state.  How do we keep them here? 

I would think readily available jobs, like what River Ridge and other successors can provide. 

Cheery afternoon!

Apparently the deep thinkers believe lots of parks are what make someone want to move to an area.  Jobs?  Who cares about jobs!  We need GREEN space.  Even if we have to displace inconvenient property owners.   :rolleyes:

And who cares if the taxpayers would never agree to spend $150,000,000 on a vision?!  That's why we need the RDA!

We'll just move it to another entity and claim it's not really their tax money!

Edited by Tina, 21 July 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#57 OpenEars

OpenEars

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

http://oursouthernin...tm_medium=email

Before you continue to judge, I encourage you to watch the entire video and read the slide show as well.

By electing Libertarians, reducing the tax burden and getting government out of their lives.

I would challenge that statement by saying there is so much more to consider other than party lines. Indiana is already in the top 5 most affordable states to live.

http://www.cheatshee...html/?a=viewall

http://www.cnbc.com/...15.html?slide=8

What do we do to attract young people to live here?  Vision and plan for it. Understanding what the customer wants...

http://www.minnpost....e-attached-city

http://www.nytimes.c...?abt=0002&abg=0

http://www.issuemedi...lent051614.aspx

RDA/RCI

It's easy to see that some are never going to be on board with such a large plan to benefit our communities and that's OK. 

Today's job market is different and people don't follow jobs like in the 1930's.  Jobs now follow people with talent and communities with a skilled workforce to fill those jobs. Not the other way around. We currently have a workforce shortage because we don't have the right people. Talk to Jerry Acy at River Ridge or Alan Taylor at Prosser. Talk to any business owner who can't fill positions.  Not only do we not have enough people who want to fill the most basic jobs, but we don't have enough skilled workforce laborers or educated people to fill professional service positions.  I would hate to think we'll just keep doing what we've always done.  That never turns out so well.

Lobbyist...

Something that didn't sit right with me about an earlier comment about "lobbyists".  They are residents and voters too.  I have yet to see one person advocating for RCI/RDA that's not a local resident.  Not only that, the term "lobbyist" can be applied to those opposing this as well.  Those who are supporting making our community better but their opinion is different than yours, does not make them wrong...  To your point, maybe they really are deeper thinkers and think bigger than you feel comfortable to.  Maybe they have a different life experience or education.  Either way and for whatever the reason, be careful casting stones in a glass house.

And while we are on the topic of differing opinions... there was a "Jeers" in the News Tribune the other day about a Clark County elected offical at the Floyd County Council meeting. 

http://www.newsandtr...c6b1925c8a.html

If you feel the need to serve as a representative of our county, especially outside of your district, please do so with grace and professionalism that is expected of your office. This includes anyone who assocates with you in a public fashion.

For those of us who don't "drink the Kool-Aid" of anyone to quickly. I would like to think I have a firm grasp on what I want from my elected officials and what I expect of them.  The argument of this process being rushed and not having enough time to understand the information is an excuse. If they don't have the capability to understand legislation, even after it has been explained over and over, then we have a bigger issue. I have listened to public statements and questions.  I have researched the answers to "trust" but verify.  That includes comments from this website.  I'm still on board and so are many others.  Also on board is every other "region" in the state.  Why is that I wonder??  Doesn't make them wrong, just different.  Differences are what set us apart and unfortunately, at a time like this, hold us back from being able to achieve more as a community.

Scott County Council approved the RDA ordinace this morning. What it comes down to is the fiscal bodies have the final OK to approve all projects.  Period.  To think we are not even going to try... :no:   If for some reason the RDA is not established and we don't even apply, I sincerly hope in a couple years you don't get an "I told you so..." and are not talking about what could've been, yet again.

Respectfully,

OE

#58 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,112 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

As to the timing:

Have actual plans of the projects been presented to the fiscal bodies expected to vote on this? From the outside, it does all seem rushed, like they have to pass it to see what is in it.
  • CityBoy and Tina like this

#59 OpenEars

OpenEars

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

At this point, all that is being asked of the fiscal bodies it to form the RDA, with no fiscal commitment so that plans can even be made and presented.  Once the RDA is formed, has the plans to be submitted to IEDC for RCI consideration, if they are selected, agreements with the locals drawn up, then the finalized plan would be brought to the fiscal bodies to move forward with the project(s) or not, via fiscal commitments.  The only time a fiscal body is liable is if they commit to the funds via approval at a public council meeting. But again, they have to form the RDA for any of this to happen. This RDA is not some secretive body.  It is a public body guided by a regional vision appointed by the elected leaders of the counties involved. 

That is all that is being ask of right now.  Start to the RDA to investigate and submit for potential projects to even see if they are worth doing.  But we can't even have those conversations until the RDA is formed.  As stated in the video from yesterday's meeting, this is why the state removed all fiscal commitments to form an RDA, so they could be formed to open the conversation and for the state to know the local municipalities involved are serious and can think bigger than themselves. Basically we need to start the RDA to have the conversation.  No RDA, no conversation, no funding, no projects...  Nothing happens.  Yes to RDA, lots of conversation, maybe some funding, maybe some projects... Maybe a lot happens that is a turning point for our area, or not.  But yes to RDA at least gives us the chance.  I hope our elected councilmen don't take away that chance. 

As a parent, I would do anything to improve the life of my child.  I would never do anything illegal nor live outside my means to do it.  Sometimes I stumble and spread myself thin my working hard but in the end I will never make their life better if I don't try.  That is what I expect of my elected officials.  Try...  This is not illegal and no one is asking them to live outside their means.  Only asking to try...

Let me try and simplify this.  It may be off in the weeds but I think everyone will get the point:

I want to have a bake sale.  I know me and several others want to bake lots of things but we don't have any money to do it.  We can't physically do it by ourselves so we need to bring together some people in my group (RDA) with the permission of their moms and dads (local fiscal bodies) to help facilitate what the plan is going to be.  Once we have our group (RDA) then we can work on the plan (RCI) to take to "Bakers USA" (the IEDC) to get part of the money as they are the ones encouraging this. They like what they see and will give me part of the money towards our plan for ovens. And I HAVE to spend it on that. They made that very clear. The bakery from out of town (private investment) likes our plan, and they want to invest in what we are doing.  But my group still can't buy the oven etc by our self.  Because of what "Bakers USA" said, we have to have our mom & dad's (local fiscal bodies) help and buy in as well.  Only after Mom and Dad say ok, and commit, then can we buy the oven and make our dream a reality of supplying the best baked goods (amenities, workforce development, etc) for the community.  If mom and dad say no, we either rework the plan or it dies.  Either way, we did our best at getting the bake sale off the ground because we tried.

The 5 areas as what the plans would be are outlined in the slide show for the noting what the RDA would pursue. The projects and the ROI to pursue them to IEDC's guidelines is currently being reviewed at IU.  Once it's returned, then there will be more information.  I believe that is covered in the video and slide show.

#60 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

http://oursouthernin...tm_medium=email

Before you continue to judge, I encourage you to watch the entire video and read the slide show as well.

I would challenge that statement by saying there is so much more to consider other than party lines. Indiana is already in the top 5 most affordable states to live.
http://www.cheatshee...html/?a=viewall
http://www.cnbc.com/...15.html?slide=8

Right. We are affordable because our housing costs are affordable. But with this vision, and others, we continually hear how it will improve property values. Know what that does? It also raises our property taxes!!!

What do we do to attract young people to live here? Vision and plan for it. Understanding what the customer wants...
http://www.nytimes.c...?abt=0002&abg=0
http://www.issuemedi...lent051614.aspx

RDA/RCI
It's easy to see that some are never going to be on board with such a large plan to benefit our communities and that's OK.

Today's job market is different and people don't follow jobs like in the 1930's. Jobs now follow people with talent and communities with a skilled workforce to fill those jobs. Not the other way around. We currently have a workforce shortage because we don't have the right people. Talk to Jerry Acy at River Ridge or Alan Taylor at Prosser. Talk to any business owner who can't fill positions. Not only do we not have enough people who want to fill the most basic jobs, but we don't have enough skilled workforce laborers or educated people to fill professional service positions. I would hate to think we'll just keep doing what we've always done. That never turns out so well.

This is an education problem, not a need for parks along the riverfront. We have young people here. You're just saying they are not skilled or educated. Work on that. Don't hide behind plans for a pretty waterfront and a new casino and pretend it is about bringing young people to this area!

Lobbyist...
Something that didn't sit right with me about an earlier comment about "lobbyists". They are residents and voters too. I have yet to see one person advocating for RCI/RDA that's not a local resident. Not only that, the term "lobbyist" can be applied to those opposing this as well. Those who are supporting making our community better but their opinion is different than yours, does not make them wrong... To your point, maybe they really are deeper thinkers and think bigger than you feel comfortable to. Maybe they have a different life experience or education. Either way and for whatever the reason, be careful casting stones in a glass house.

I don't get paid to sell my opinion. Some of them do. Their job security highly depends on it.

For those of us who don't "drink the Kool-Aid" of anyone to quickly. I would like to think I have a firm grasp on what I want from my elected officials and what I expect of them. The argument of this process being rushed and not having enough time to understand the information is an excuse. If they don't have the capability to understand legislation, even after it has been explained over and over, then we have a bigger issue. I have listened to public statements and questions. I have researched the answers to "trust" but verify. That includes comments from this website. I'm still on board and so are many others. Also on board is every other "region" in the state. Why is that I wonder?? Doesn't make them wrong, just different. Differences are what set us apart and unfortunately, at a time like this, hold us back from being able to achieve more as a community.

If you are ok with property being allowed to be taken by eminent domain, being tax exempt, and an appointed board making those decisions, good for you. You are trusting. Our entire government was founded on NOT TRUSTING. I do not trust that the legislature won't change the law to benefit the few at the expense of the many. I do not trust that a local ordinance is more powerful than a state statute. I do not trust an appointed board like the IEDC to not change the guidelines and make us match 50/50 when they realize they don't have enough. I don't trust the RDA not to apply for federal grants which chain this region with federal mandates.

But I guess I'm just one of those small minded people.

Scott County Council approved the RDA ordinace this morning. What it comes down to is the fiscal bodies have the final OK to approve all projects. Period. To think we are not even going to try... :no: If for some reason the RDA is not established and we don't even apply, I sincerly hope in a couple years you don't get an "I told you so..." and are not talking about what could've been, yet again.

Respectfully,
OE

Porter county vs the Northeast RDA

I told you so.

Edited by Tina, 21 July 2015 - 01:50 PM.

• CityBoy and averageguy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users