633 replies to this topic

#1 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

Let's discuss the new thing that came down from the state this legislative session.

Let me start by giving the legislature (especially the House) some credit.  They did not want to fund this thing, but it was one of the governor's pet projects that he wanted to get through.  First, they revised the RDA statute to make it more municipal friendly.  Second, they did not want to fund it, but agreed with a compromise with the governor on using tax amnesty funds.  So when you hear that "$84 million" that we MUST apply for, know that it is an estimated guess by what the state will receive from people paying back taxes AND know that the funding does not go past those first 2 years.  It's anyone's guess whether the state will fund it beyond that.

Now, what authority will our elected bodies be giving up in order to beg for a portion of that "$84 million"?  In order to apply for the money (and remember there is no promise our region will be chosen), our region must establish a regional development authority.  Much of the powers of a redevelopment commission are also granted to this regional authority (for example, eminent domain).  Once a body joins the regional development authority they are in it for EIGHT YEARS, like it or not.   The board is a whole other issue.  

n70ffp.jpg

So there is no guarantee that your locale will even have a voice on this thing.  One of the arguments I have seen for joining this RDA is "if we don't join we won't have a seat at the table."  My argument is, even if you join, there is no assurance you will get one of the appointees!    And let's fast forward 8 years and say we don't like the plan, if the governmental body withdrawals from the RDA, they are still committed to funding what was implemented during those 8 years.  

More information if you wish:

http://indianaregion...n-Checklist.pdf

https://iga.in.gov/l...cument-993068dd

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 2 others like this

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

To the citizens, in a BEST CASE scenario, our county would have an appointee on the board...possibly ONE.  Let's say we don't like the regional plan or the appointees on the board.  Best case, we vote out every single county council member and commissioners but we're only 3 years into this RDA.  They can't get us out for 8 years so the best they could do is fight to replace one appointee.  ONE.  OUT OF FIVE.  The rest of the members of the RDA will want a say too.  So it distributes the power, but in doing so no one county or municipality election matters to the plan and projects of this board.

See how this takes away power from the electorate? 

Apparently the AP thought the county voting against the RDA resolution was important enough to spread the N&T article! 

http://www.dailyjour...-Cities-Program

Edited by Tina, 12 June 2015 - 10:36 AM.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Donna and 1 other like this

#3 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

There are many issues on which it would be great for us to pull together as a region - homelessness is one of them.

Yet this structure of regional cooperation is entirely about development. It would be a layer of appointed authority above our elected officials, and the guidelines on who could serve on this authority almost guarantee conflicts of interest and cronyism.
  • IntegrityMatters, cindiloohoo, CityBoy and 3 others like this

#4 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

Bravo to the citizens who came to the county council meeting and spoke out against an RDA! This from a Hoosier friend....
"Clark County is getting it right. They voted no to the RDA.
http://www.newsandtr...e5e-0fcc-11e5-…
Unfortunately RDA imposed in NW Indiana steals money from Porter Co residents to fund failing Lake Co projects like the Gary airport. Porter Co voted to leave and were sued. Attorney General says they don’t have the authority to vote ourselves out and that we MUST make the 3.5mil payments."
Read that here: http://www.insideind...em.asp?id=37534
  • IntegrityMatters, kelley, Donna and 1 other like this

#5 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

More detail on that case:

http://www.theindian...S/article/25895

The court ordered the auditor and treasurer to make all future payments to the RDA as required by statute.

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

http://www.washingto...a-kludgeocracy/

This word is the perfect description of this "regional cities" initiative: Kludgeocracy

Ezra Klein: What's interesting in your answer is that it doesn't leave much room for the general argument for market-provided services, which is that the market does it better. Is it your view that, in general, the added complexity of routing public services through private purveyors overwhelms whatever efficiency and innovation gains the private sector can provide?

Steven Teles: Right. Again, the issue isn't whether a service is better performed through the market or through the government. It's that in many cases, we haven't really made a choice of one or the other. We've tried to have both, and in having both, we lose a number of the advantages of either. In most cases, "privatization" does not really mean that a function has been given back to the market. It means that we have a highly subsidized, regulated, sometimes monopolized activity in which there is private ownership but a high degree of public control.
When you do that, you often lose a lot of what is good about markets, and in fact you create very strange kinds of private actors who are in fact totally dependent on government. And that often incentivizes them to be more oriented to lobbying and influencing government than to serving their customers. And that's where kludgeocracy is not just a complaint about "efficiency" but a complaint about the kind of governance that is generated by complexity.

I said at the county council meeting - if you think money in politics is bad NOW, just wait until you bring it down to a (regionally) local level!

If you haven't contacted your county council member: http://www.co.clark....-county-council
thanking them for voting NO on the resolution and asking them not to consider it in the future - PLEASE DO SO NOW!!

Jeffersonville residents, without Jeffersonville this thing is a lost cause for them.  I guarantee you your city council members are being lobbied HARD right now to vote in its favor.  Now is not the time to be complacent.  Once this thing is going, I don't see any real way to stop or dissolve it!

ETA: the new HEA1403 specifically says an appointee cannot be removed by the one appointing them.  It has to be done by the majority of the board.  The members of the RDA determine who gets appointed, and they determine who gets removed.  So you take away pretty much ALL EFFECTS of elections.

(b) A member of a development board may only be removed from the development board before the expiration of the four (4)year term by written agreement of at least three-fourths (3/4) of the executives of the members of the development authority.

(meaning mayors and commissioners, executives - not the fiscal bodies!)

Ezra Klein: The endpoint, then, is that there are relatively few checks on kludginess. Think tankers have their incentives towards cleverness and practicality. Democrats want to do more, but can't pass proposals that rely too heavily on the government. Republicans don't want to oppose popular benefits, but need to show they're fighting the growth of the state, so they come up with kludgifying proposals like premium support for Medicare. And special interests, as you argue in the paper, make a lot of money off the more complex, inefficient policy. So who's actually got a direct anti-kludge incentive?

Only we the people, and only if we are active and engaged in the process. If you are waiting for "someone else" to do it, well your children and grandchildren are going to curse you for your apathy.

Edited by Tina, 17 June 2015 - 08:28 AM.

• IntegrityMatters, cindiloohoo, CityBoy and 1 other like this

#7 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

Last night, Harrison county passed a resolution in support of this RDA.  Washington county has already.  So they have 2 counties.

If an adjacent county to ours joins then Jeffersonville and Clarksville can join those counties.

If you like elections to continue to MEAN something, anything at all, then you need to call your local city/town councilman and tell them to research IC-36-7.6 before agreeing to this monstrosity.

Bottom line: if you sit out on this, if you stay silent, you are passively agreeing that appointed businessmen make better decisions than voters.  May future generations curse you for your apathy.

I'm that ticked off that any elected official is willing to hand over their autonomy (and the voices of their constituents) to an appointed board in charge of a "region".

Ticked off is probably an understatement.

If people gave even one half of a care, there would be a revolution over &*@#^!% like this!

• IntegrityMatters, CityBoy and Donna like this

#8 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:28 AM

I personally think that this needs to be investigated further.  This is an opportunity to get a much needed influx of funds to our region.

It is time for people to think outside the box.  We no longer live in the fabulous fifties.

To complain and rebel without at least trying and investigating is small minded.  It is my understanding that all of our local Senators and Representatives supported this.

Our region and especially Clark County is on the cusp of great achievements.  It would be sad to see an opportunity thrown away.

#9 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

I personally think that this needs to be investigated further.  This is an opportunity to get a much needed influx of funds to our region.

It is time for people to think outside the box.  We no longer live in the fabulous fifties.

To complain and rebel without at least trying and investigating is small minded.  It is my understanding that all of our local Senators and Representatives supported this.

Our region and especially Clark County is on the cusp of great achievements.  It would be sad to see an opportunity thrown away.

I see you're using Wendy Dant Chesser's sales pitch.  You're selling the free $$MONEY$$ without asking about the CHAINS.

dT75nEET9.gif

Our region is poised for growth without the chains the state is trying to impose.

I also do not like your assumption that I don't understand or haven't investigated.  

Have YOU read IC-36-7.6 Big Bopper?

You know, the statute that lays out what exactly a regional development authority is, what power it has?

Have you asked them where the money for this region will come from after the tax amnesty funds run out?  Signing up for the regional development authority puts us on the hook for 8 years, but the money is only guaranteed for 2.  I heard the house did NOT want to fund this - the governor did.  Also, Smith and Goodin voted against it. So I fail to see where you can promise a long term investment into our region when the STATE controls the purse.

Have you seen the plan that will be submitted to the IEDC?  Or are you banking on it sight unseen?

I would love to see your understanding and investigation.

I am not being a rebel, I am sounding the alarm.  I am asking people to look long term and not just sell our future based on the promise of "free" money.

I am Paul Revere.  I believe in freedom & liberty.  I believe in our republic.

You can believe that appointed businessmen/women will make better decisions for our future than voters.  

They love to throw around that term "quality of life".  You know what I hear when they say that?

"These are the things that taxpayers will never allow us to spend their tax dollars on if we ask permission.  Therefore, we'll go around them and do it THIS way."

Edited by Tina, 24 June 2015 - 08:51 AM.

• kelley, Kruger87, Donna and 1 other like this

#10 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

From 1SI:

Work also continues on the submission for funding as a Regional Cities designee. The Indiana Economic Development Corporation will be accepting applications from interested regions from [/size]July 1 through August 31, 2015[/size]. Although projects for the submission have not been finalized, they have been loosely divided into five categories: [/size]

• Waterfront Development In Clarksville, Jeffersonville and New Albany 
• Exploration and Completion of the Regional Greenway Project 
• Turning the River Ridge Commerce Center into an Economic Development Engine for Southern Indiana 
• Workforce Development and Entrepreneurial Growth 
• Regional Water Resources 

Stay tuned for more great news as we move forward in our quest.

See that regional water resource?  Whatever do you think that could that mean BB?  

River Ridge doesn't need a regional development authority to turn it into an economic development engine.  It already is and will be.  How does it benefit Clark County to hand over authority over RR to the surrounding counties?

Edited by Tina, 24 June 2015 - 08:56 AM.

• kelley, Donna and Russell Brooksbank like this

#11 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

From 1SI:

See that regional water resource?  Whatever do you think that could that mean BB?  

River Ridge doesn't need a regional development authority to turn it into an economic development engine.  It already is and will be.  How does it benefit Clark County to hand over authority over RR to the surrounding counties?

Have you asked your local Senators and Representatives how they voted on this?

I never said to accept it in its current form.  It is shortsighted to vote against something before completely exploring the possibilities.

I agree that River Ridge will succeed but only if they are not hampered by ideology. 

I suppose all of the improvements being made to the infrastructure will come out of the thin air.  We don't need any help from the state.

Our taxpayers can pay for all of it on our own. :phone:

It seems that I have struck a little nerve.

Edited by Big Bopper, 24 June 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#12 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

You did call me a rebel and small minded, but no worries - I don't let people calling names bother me. Says more about your argument (which you've failed to make by the way) than it does about mine. Can you refute my facts?

This RDA is what has struck a nerve because I've thought through the LONG TERM ramifications of this "authority". Have you?

Or is the promise of "free" money enough to get you to sell your soul?

Edited by Tina, 24 June 2015 - 10:52 AM.

• Donna and Russell Brooksbank like this

#13 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

It is also VERY short sighted to vote in favor of an idea that hasnt even been presented to the public with all the details.

I assume you are a Nancy Pelosi fan too?

#14 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

You did call me a rebel and small minded, but no worries - I don't let people calling names bother me. Says more about your argument (which you've failed to make by the way) than it does about mine. Can you refute my facts?

This RDA is what has struck a nerve because I've thought through the LONG TERM ramifications of this "authority". Have you?

Or is the promise of "free" money enough to get you to sell your soul?

I didn't personally call you a rebel or small minded.  That was a classification.  You can judge whether you fit into it or not.

#15 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

It is also VERY short sighted to vote in favor of an idea that hasnt even been presented to the public with all the details.

I assume you are a Nancy Pelosi fan too?

According to the document, and what was in the media, it was a vote to explore not to accept.

Little Nancy said to vote to pass and then figure it out.  Big Difference.

#16 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

Do you know the deadlines?

Hint: this thing is a freight train, not a snail!

#17 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

I personally think that this needs to be investigated further. This is an opportunity to get a much needed influx of funds to our region.
It is time for people to think outside the box. We no longer live in the fabulous fifties.
To complain and rebel without at least trying and investigating is small minded. It is my understanding that all of our local Senators and Representatives supported this.
Our region and especially Clark County is on the cusp of great achievements. It would be sad to see an opportunity thrown away.

Tina always investigates.

She's not the only one.

Giving up our right to representative government, and that is what this amounts to, is a too steep of a price for a little extra cash.

Edited by kelley, 24 June 2015 - 11:56 AM.

• IntegrityMatters, cindiloohoo, Donna and 1 other like this

#18 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

Just so people can do their own decision making - they can listen to Wendy Dant Chesser's presentation to Harrison County council here:

http://harrisoncount...=-1&mk=-1&nov=0

If anyone would like to point out where anything I've said is wrong, I'd love to hear it!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Tina, 24 June 2015 - 01:44 PM.

• cindiloohoo likes this

#19 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

What?  It's FREE MONEY!  That taxpayers have ponied up. 

Why not sign up for TWO years of FREE MONEY?  So what if the decision is for EIGHT YEARS.  The taxpayers can pony up for that too!

I vote every election for representation: local, state and federal.  Do not privatize the decision making of local communities and hamstring those localities from addressing their specific needs by an end run past the elected officials. 

• IntegrityMatters, cindiloohoo, kelley and 3 others like this

#20 Russell Brooksbank

Russell Brooksbank

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Unfortunately RDA imposed in NW Indiana steals money from Porter Co residents to fund failing Lake Co projects like the Gary airport. Porter Co voted to leave and were sued. Attorney General says they don’t have the authority to vote ourselves out and that we MUST make the 3.5mil payments."
Read that here: http://www.insideind...em.asp?id=37534

Yeah, we all know that secession is kinda frowned on in this country.  :tongue: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users