517 replies to this topic

#21 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

None of the 12 members of Planning and Zoning knew why there is a four dog limit in the county. 

I called the Indiana Board of Animal Health (BOAH) to find more info on kennels. 

They said the "4 dog" rule comes from the 1930's state law. Any land owner with more than four dogs was required to pay a dog tax. Dogs were running out in counties and killing livestock. The government needed money to reimburse farmers for their loss. 

The state law was repealed in the 1970's but some local governments never updated their laws. 

Another ancient Clark County law that needs to be changed. 

• kelley likes this

#22 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so could someone explain to me why planning and zoning is dictating the number of dogs, cats and horses citizens in a rural county are allowed to own.
Clark County is paying an Animal Control Officier to monitor the welfare of the animals and responds to nuisance complaints.
I checked with planning and zoning in Scott Co, Madison-Jefferson County and Floyd County. None of our neighboring counties dictate how many animals a private citizens can have.
Floyd County has a Commercial Kennel that receives payment definition
What's wrong with Clark County?

That is not quite true regarding Floyd County in one case.
  • kelley likes this

#23 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

None of the 12 members of Planning and Zoning knew why there is a four dog limit in the county. [/size]

I called the Indiana Board of Animal Health (BOAH) to find more info on kennels.

They said the "4 dog" rule comes from the 1930's state law. Any land owner with more than four dogs was required to pay a dog tax. Dogs were running out in counties and killing livestock. The government needed money to reimburse farmers for their loss.

The state law was repealed in the 1970's but some local governments never updated their laws.

Another ancient Clark County law that needs to be changed.

Trish, I would think a copy of the repeal would be sufficient to get P&Z to back off. That should be available at the courthouse, library or perhaps the Indiana Board of Health can fax you a copy....jmho.
I despise people who try and make innocent animals pay with their lives because of laziness or ignorance....especially when they are in a position of 'auth-thor-ity'...the sense of entitlement and power goes to many people's heads. A little research, as you did, by one of the board members could have obtained this info.
Had you not done this it could have cost some animals their lives, thru no fault of their own.
Based on your info I would suggest it not. It would be wise for the board to do their due diligence. There are many, MANY animal lovers in this county...I would say lawsuits filed, positions lost and hard feelings all around if your information is not acted upon favoribly.
If the board was ready to enforce a law they THOUGHT was on the books and not, then they need to enforce the law that IS on the books.
I think it might be time for television coverage if any of this is ignored.

Edited by jiyabird, 15 June 2015 - 11:28 AM.

• TrishR likes this

#24 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Actually it's $50 a meeting no matter the length.

There was a public comment section, they just got upset that the public continued to talk after that time period.  I was at the county council meeting on Monday night and it was the same way.  I've been to commissioner meetings and its the same way.  There is a prescribed time for public comment and most boards will chastise the public for speaking outside that time.  I'm not saying the way it was done was polite, but I just wanted to say its not specific to planning and zoning.

The TV stations were there for the high publicity murder trial.

What's the deal?
They have something better to do then take care of the public's concerns?
What is the job description for these boards anyway...I would think it SHOULD be "Of the people, by the people, for the people" , but WTH, I am only a taxpayer paying their salaries.
  • Gabriella likes this

#25 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

That is not quite true regarding Floyd County in one case.

The Floyd Co case you're referring to was brought on by the Health Dept, not Planning and Zoning. 

#26 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

The Floyd Co case you're referring to was brought on by the Health Dept, not Planning and Zoning.

The statement was "None of our neighboring counties dictate how many animals a private individual can have." to which the answer is yes, Floyd County, in one individual case.
Yes, Health Dept. started the case but it then escalated to the actual 4 animal rule during the ensuing/continuing court battle.
Nothing could be found in documents regarding Floyd County pertaining to a four animal (in this case dogs) law.
Nothing having to do with Clark County, just pointing out a bit of misinformation.

#27 EarleNelson

EarleNelson

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

Do they accept volunteer help and agreed, the names on the planning and zoning board will get you no where

#28 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

Public Meeting, Wednesday, July 8th 5pm meeting at the Court House, 4th floor.

Planning and Zoning will decide how many animals you are allowed to own in rural Clark County. 

• kelley and jiyabird like this

#29 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

Public Meeting, Wednesday, July 8th 5pm meeting at the Court House, 4th floor.

Planning and Zoning will decide how many animals you are allowed to own in rural Clark County.

I will try to be there. Do you have to have to have your name on the adgenda in order to speak? Has anyone requested television coverage? 'Ties' seem to play better when they know thousands of more eyes are upon them.

#30 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

It's a public meeting so everyone has two minutes to speak. 

#31 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

I will try to be there. Do you have to have to have your name on the adgenda in order to speak? Has anyone requested television coverage? 'Ties' seem to play better when they know thousands of more eyes are upon them.

Does this mean I have to wear a tie tonight?

#32 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Does this mean I have to wear a tie tonight?

Yes.

My second Wednesdays are consistently full, so I will not be able to make it. Someone get a picture of Martina in a tie, please. Thanks in advance.

#33 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Interesting meeting tonight…..

First I find the realtor for people complaining about my dogs is none other than Jack Coffman, Clark County Commisioner sitting on the planning and zoning board. Jack excused himself. 

Secondly, I paid $400 to be rezoned from R1 (residential) to A1 (agriculture), $225 for an ad to run in the news and tribune for 10 days, paid an attorney $300 to write up a letter asking to be rezoned, place a big white sign out on fence facing the road for 10 days. Someone on the P&Z board (sorry, don't know him) asked to see the maps on file. My place is already zoned A1 :no:  And YES, every penny will be refunded to me!!!! 

Next file for a kennel variance…... I will be the first individual in the history of Clark County Indiana to be forced to apply for a kennel license.  :mad:

Commercial kennels yes, but never anyone on a farm in rural Clark Co. 

Oh, and guess who showed to opposed my rezoning? John Perkins! Remember, he lives in Jeffersonville :laugh:

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Not Super But Honest Mike and 3 others like this

#34 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

Interesting meeting tonight…..

First I find the realtor for people complaining about my dogs is none other than Jack Coffman, Clark County Commisioner sitting on the planning and zoning board. Jack excused himself. 

Secondly, I paid $400 to be rezoned from R1 (residential) to A1 (agriculture), $225 for an ad to run in the news and tribune for 10 days, paid an attorney $300 to write up a letter asking to be rezoned, place a big white sign out on fence facing the road for 10 days. Someone on the P&Z board (sorry, don't know him) asked to see the maps on file. My place is already zoned A1 :no:  And YES, every penny will be refunded to me!!!! 

Next file for a kennel variance…... I will be the first individual in the history of Clark County Indiana to be forced to apply for a kennel license.  :mad:

Commercial kennels yes, but never anyone on a farm in rural Clark Co. 

Oh, and guess who showed to opposed my rezoning? John Perkins! Remember, he lives in Jeffersonville :laugh:

Perhaps grounds for a civil suit...against one Mr. PERKINS. He seems to delight in stirring the pot.

#35 Gabriella

Gabriella

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

OK.....so I've been stalking a few facebook pages and I find one of the aforementioned men buddied up with my neighbor....the same neighbor who kept his Chihuahua chained to a tree in his back yard....until he "got rid" of it. Cheaper than fixing his fence, I suppose. I smell politics and greed. A lot of money to be made off that land adjacent to Trish's property, nice riverfront property...and the realtors are seeing dollar signs. Never mind the money Trish has personally saved Clark County over the years for taking so many animals in from the shelter here and taking on their expenses. That wouldn't have gone into their pockets anyway. Wonder why Jack didn't excuse himself from the last meeting as well. What are the deciding factors and who makes the decisions to approve or deny a kennel license?

• jiyabird, concerned resident and Donna like this

#36 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

WOW... this is all a bunch of bull poop.

• Gabriella likes this

#37 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

OK.....so I've been stalking a few facebook pages and I find one of the aforementioned men buddied up with my neighbor....the same neighbor who kept his Chihuahua chained to a tree in his back yard....until he "got rid" of it. Cheaper than fixing his fence, I suppose. I smell politics and greed. A lot of money to be made off that land adjacent to Trish's property, nice riverfront property...and the realtors are seeing dollar signs. Never mind the money Trish has personally saved Clark County over the years for taking so many animals in from the shelter here and taking on their expenses. That wouldn't have gone into their pockets anyway. Wonder why Jack didn't excuse himself from the last meeting as well. What are the deciding factors and who makes the decisions to approve or deny a kennel license?

Like I said, reporters love a good story and can sure dig up the dirt when they get a whiff of what is buried underneath. The right call could resolve a lot of this BS and FAST.

#38 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

Sooo, get a email from planning and zoning. They want me to fill out a W9 for my refund, for their mistake. 

What an incompetent group? 

Attached Files

Edited by TrishR, 09 July 2015 - 11:31 AM.

#39 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

Feeling pretty special today  :shifty:

After a little research I find I will be the first in Clark Co Indiana to EVER be issued a kennel license. There is no such thing as a "kennel license" in this county but p&z working with the auditors office to establish. 

Southern IN Animal Rescue would like to thank our planning and zoning. In the future anyone that has more than 4 dogs, cats or other domestic animals and animal control can't cite them and the sheriff can't help, we can file a complaint with p&z. 

I have a list of about 10 breeders in the county now. If you would like to add to my list please send me a message. 

Thank You Plan and Zoning, looking forward to working with you! 

Edited by TrishR, 10 July 2015 - 06:22 AM.

• concerned resident and Donna like this

#40 FatToes

FatToes

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

I can have as many animals as I'd like, not to worried about planning and zoning. I live in Rural Clark Co. Nothing that I care about that they can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users