517 replies to this topic

#1 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

Clark County Planning and Zoning has threatened to shut down the rescue for zoning non compliance.

The property owner is a Chatter member and devoted rescuer.

Read more at: http://m.newsandtrib...e.html?mode=jqm

"The planning commission next meets at 5 p.m. Wednesday, June 10, in the Clark County Government Building in Jeffersonville."

The regulation makes no sense to me. Half the reason people live outside of municipalities is to avoid such nonsense.
  • concerned resident, Donna and ConcernedHoosier like this

#2 clarkcoconstituent

clarkcoconstituent

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

Kelley, how can we help?
  • kelley and concerned resident like this

#3 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Go to the meeting and speak up and/or contact the commissioners.
  • GrumpyGranny, Gabriella, Bikerdude and 1 other like this

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

Southern Indiana Animal Rescue does a great job, IMO. The property owner and numerous volunteers not only save many animals from being euthanized, they also see that the animals have any needed medical care, and foster the pets until a forever home can be found. Our black lab mix, a tripod now named Bubba Dale, was cared for by SIAR before coming home with us. He had been neutered, brought up to date on all shots, microchipped...and he has lived up to his former name, Happy.

I sounds to me like the property owner has ample property for the dogs she fosters at her home, and I hope everything works out for her and the pups.  

• kelley, Quasar, Gabriella and 4 others like this

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:25 PM

"The regulation makes no sense to me. Half the reason people live outside of municipalities is to avoid such nonsense. "

Yep......I agree... :yes:

1 reason I LIVE out'na diddly-dang stiks.....so some ....... :logik: ....orifice.....cain't tell me whut I can....an' cain' do..... :mad: .....an'a gawda** neighbors....need ta mind they own da** biznizz........ :mad:

be watch'n this'n........

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Quasar and 3 others like this

#6 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

I just saw a diagram of her house and the neighbors'. Uh, there are no immediate neighbors?

Someone has a bone to pick and is willing to hurt the animals to pick it.
  • GrumpyGranny, TrishR, jiyabird and 2 others like this

#7 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

Thank you everyone for your support. Commissioners Bryan Glover and Rick Stephenson are great supporters of animal rescue and have vowed to get this ordinance changed.

It not only affects me but thousands of rural residents, their horses, dogs and cats.

Planning and zoning is clearly out of touch with our farming community.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley, Oldgoat and 5 others like this

#8 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

Wow! Just attended my first Clark County Planning and Zoning meeting.

It was obvious they were not used to the public speaking and most of the board not interested in listening. 

They will make the rules and the taxpayers must obey. 

Next meeting July 8th 

2015 PLANNING COMMISSION BOARD MEMBERS
  • Rick Wardlaw – President
  • Barbara Bratcher-Haas
  • Simon Kafari
  • Martina Webster
  • Dan Callahan
  • Michael Killen
  • John Uhl
  • Jack Coffman
  • David Blankenbeker
  • David Nachand
  • Michael Tackett
  • Stacia Franklin
  •  

Edited by TrishR, 10 June 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#9 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:21 PM

It was obvious they were not used to the public speaking and most of the board not interested in listening. 

Next meeting July 8th 

Ain' s'prised on'a 'listen'n ta people'...... :whistle: ......

an' I ain't much on....RULE'z.....an' if they came fer my dogs.....they'd find out da*n quik.... :whistle:

other'n 'at......how'd it go on yer situation?   :shrug:

• jiyabird likes this

#10 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:28 PM

Southern Indiana Rescue fosters dogs & cats.  These critters aren't "put down" they are placed in loving, fur-ever homes.  Why would anyone want to stop that?

• GrumpyGranny, TrishR and jiyabird like this

#11 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:29 PM

<p>

Next meeting July 8th
2015 PLANNING COMMISSION BOARD MEMBERS

• Rick Wardlaw – President
  • Barbara Bratcher-Haas
  • Simon Kafari
  • Martina Webster
  • Dan Callahan
  • Michael Killen
  • John Uhl
  • Jack Coffman
  • David Blankenbeker
  • David Nachand
  • Michael Tackett
  • Stacia Franklin

Did they let the public speak at all?

Was this why TV stations were at the county building this afternoon/evening?

#12 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

Two people from the public spoke but the board members did most of the talking. When the public tried to interrupt they were told they couldn't speak.

It was a public meeting and we were not on the agenda but knew that they would be discussing a change to the animal ordinance. Silly, animal people thought they might want input from the people that know the animals of this county. 

TV stations there for something else. 

• jiyabird and Donna like this

#13 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

Good luck with that group.  You will not find much honest sympathy with most of them.  Some will seem sympathetic to your face

and stab you in the back.  Some of the list shouldn't be on any board.  If you don't understand planning and zoning, you should be a member.

Rick Wardlaw, John Uhl, and especially Barbara Haas.

• Stinkeymonkey likes this

#14 Gabriella

Gabriella

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

I just want to know......do we actually PAY these people? When 12 people banter back and forth for a good 45 minutes on the definition of a kennel, well, I suppose they are getting paid.....and by the hour at that. That was the dumbest meeting I have ever attended.

• TrishR and jiyabird like this

#15 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so could someone explain to me why planning and zoning is dictating the number of dogs, cats and horses citizens in a rural county are allowed to own. 

Clark County is paying an Animal Control Officier to monitor the welfare of the animals and responds to nuisance complaints. 

I checked with planning and zoning in Scott Co, Madison-Jefferson County and Floyd County. None of our neighboring counties dictate how many animals a private citizens can have. 

Floyd County has a Commercial Kennel that receives payment definition 

What's wrong with Clark County? 

#16 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:50 PM

I just want to know......do we actually PAY these people? When 12 people banter back and forth for a good 45 minutes on the definition of a kennel, well, I suppose they are getting paid.....and by the hour at that. That was the dumbest meeting I have ever attended.

Actually it's $50 a meeting no matter the length.

Two people from the public spoke but the board members did most of the talking. When the public tried to interrupt they were told they couldn't speak.

It was a public meeting and we were not on the agenda but knew that they would be discussing a change to the animal ordinance. Silly, animal people thought they might want input from the people that know the animals of this county. 

TV stations there for something else. 

There was a public comment section, they just got upset that the public continued to talk after that time period.  I was at the county council meeting on Monday night and it was the same way.  I've been to commissioner meetings and its the same way.  There is a prescribed time for public comment and most boards will chastise the public for speaking outside that time.  I'm not saying the way it was done was polite, but I just wanted to say its not specific to planning and zoning.

The TV stations were there for the high publicity murder trial.

• kelley and Donna like this

#17 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

The TV stations were there for the high publicity murder trial.

I guessed something like that. This wasn't the only place I asked, and no one wanted to tell me. The paper confirmed it.

The cameras SHOULD HAVE BEEN at the meeting instead, IMO.

Edited by kelley, 11 June 2015 - 07:32 PM.

• TrishR and Donna like this

#18 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

Good luck with that group.  You will not find much honest sympathy with most of them.  Some will seem sympathetic to your face

and stab you in the back.  Some of the list shouldn't be on any board.  If you don't understand planning and zoning, you should be a member.

Rick Wardlaw, John Uhl, and especially Barbara Haas.

No worries on back stabbing, at least two out that group have been mean and ugly to my face ;)

#19 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so could someone explain to me why planning and zoning is dictating the number of dogs, cats and horses citizens in a rural county are allowed to own.

Clark County is paying an Animal Control Officier to monitor the welfare of the animals and responds to nuisance complaints.

I checked with planning and zoning in Scott Co, Madison-Jefferson County and Floyd County. None of our neighboring counties dictate how many animals a private citizens can have.

Floyd County has a Commercial Kennel that receives payment definition

What's wrong with Clark County?

Edited by jiyabird, 12 June 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#20 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Has Clark County ponied up for J.B. Ogle Shelter? 

SIAR fosters and pays for the critters in their care.  Adoption fees help augment the veterinarian bills, along with private donors.

I won't say how many homeless critters I have adopted, (I may be over the limit!) but they have all been spayed/neutered and up to date on vaccinations (just like J.B. Ogle and SIAR does.) 

I have much respect and appreciation for what SIAR and J.B. Ogle Shelter do for our homeless critters.  I know a lot of folk that foster and it ain't cheap!  Any help from individual donors is greatly needed and appreciated.

• concerned resident likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users